U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,019 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are planning to move to Seattle area and my work is right near South Lake Union, Seattle. I'll be moving with my stay-at-home wife and our 4 yr old son. We are looking for a safe neighborhood around Seattle area with relatively easy commute (preferably through public transportation) to Seattle downtown. Reading from other threads, looks like Bellevue would be the obvious choice but it looks like it is also tough to get a decent 2bd/2bath apartment in the price range of $1200/month (give or take).

Any other nice and affordable neighborhood with easy commute to downtown Seattle that anyone could recommend? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 01:26 AM

96 posts, read 216,104 times
Check out the Northgate area. If you move to Bellevue it will mean taking the 520 bridge which now has a toll every time you use your vehicle. A very expensive toll that changes depending on what hour you travel. Also, Kenmore and Bothell are nice but a bit further (not much, like 12 miles). Oh, stay away from West and South Seattle and King County. No to Renton and Kent and Tukwila, too. Whatever you do. LOT'S of crime. It's pretty new crime, as well. I don't care for Shoreline. Steer clear of Aurora or Highway 99. Mill Creek is also nice but the prices begin to go up once you hit the Bothell area. Seriously is worth it if you can to get into some of these areas. Very family oriented and lots of things for the wife to do with the kids. Crime is much lower. The transit system is good here and all over. You can hop from county to county using ORCA. Hoping someone else can give you some good options as well. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2012, 02:07 AM

7,755 posts, read 14,696,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
Check out the Northgate area. If you move to Bellevue it will mean taking the 520 bridge which now has a toll every time you use your vehicle. A very expensive toll that changes depending on what hour you travel. Also, Kenmore and Bothell are nice but a bit further (not much, like 12 miles). Oh, stay away from West and South Seattle and King County. No to Renton and Kent and Tukwila, too. Whatever you do. LOT'S of crime. It's pretty new crime, as well. I don't care for Shoreline. Steer clear of Aurora or Highway 99. Mill Creek is also nice but the prices begin to go up once you hit the Bothell area. Seriously is worth it if you can to get into some of these areas. Very family oriented and lots of things for the wife to do with the kids. Crime is much lower. The transit system is good here and all over. You can hop from county to county using ORCA. Hoping someone else can give you some good options as well. Good luck!
Very odd... you'd tell the OP not to consider W. Seattle due to "crime", but to check out Northgate area.

A lot of the areas that you've crossed out for OP do have nice and safe areas: West Seattle, Most of South King County like Renton and Kent. These towns encompass huge areas that it's wrong to cross of the entire town. Generally, Eastern Renton/Kent and the highlands are the better parts, family-oriented with better schools. With West Seattle, Del Ridge is considered "bad" (though I'd suggest OP to visit the area because s/he'd probably think otherwise). Same with Shoreline... the closer to the water, the better.

I also don't agree with the Bellevue comment. With the $1200/mo budget and the 2bd/ba need, it might be a challenge to find an apartment... but if it could be found, it'd be in the Eastgate/Crossroads area. Which would mean OP would be likely to use i90, unless s/he's willing to spend the money on the toll, but since s/he's mentioned the Public transit option, it's moot.

Within Seattle Proper, $1200/mo for the 2bd/ba will be a challenge, but lots of good options around if you can snag it. Your odds are better in (as mentioned) West Seattle and Northgate; you also have Columbia City/Mt. Baker/Seward Park; Maple Leaf/Greenwood area.

Suburbs: I'd throw in Auburn, and Federal Way... use the train from Auburn to get to Seattle DT (and I'm assuming DH works for Amazon, which has a shuttle to/from the train station) and great PT to/from Seattle DT. Burien/Normandy Park/Des Moines have convenient access to DT Seattle, less traffic to contend with than most suburbs. Edmonds up north is also a good consideration as well.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Great advice. I used to live in Fairwood/Cascade (Renton annexed) and know a lot of people still living in the highlands and East Kent. The crime is steadily rising in these areas. I was trying to get them in an area closer to work. Auburn is lovely and parts of Fed Way are nice but it's hit and miss. Just a long way from their job.

Never considered Northgate as part of West Seattle. That's just me, though. Different as night and day to me and logistically is far enough White Center, etc that it makes it separate. Potato potahto :-) Edmonds is nice. We live in Snohomish County very close to Silver Lake and Mukilteo. If you are going to go as far as Bothell, Edmonds, or as far South as Auburn, etc, might as well travel a little farther North, eh? Silver Lake, Mill Creek, Snohomish, pretty nice areas and the cost of living is less because it is a different county. And still a lot of family things to do.

So glad others are replying to them. I'm definitely not the expert but wanted to lend some help :-)

Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM

7,755 posts, read 14,696,775 times
No, my point about Northgate/West Seattle was that its strange that you'd rec NG but not WS due to "crime"; people here think lowly of NG and will bring up the crime aspect. WS doesn't inspire that kind of thinking.

Do you have the stats to show that crime is rising in Eastern Renton/Kent (and the Highlands)?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Oh, really? I had no idea. I have good friends in the Northgate area and have never felt unsafe there. Then again, I don't live there, either. No, re: the other, it's just word of mouth from friends as well as looking at police blotters on occasion. I think that if you know someone who lives in a certain area and they see and hear things more than you hear about them, it's probably safe to go on their word, as well. Which is why we go on City-Data, correct? To get other's opinions. Very glad you are adding in comments. It helps me out a great deal, Inkpoe. Always enjoy reading what you have to say on the forum. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2012, 02:45 PM

9,638 posts, read 25,614,760 times
And then a lot of people's opinions are kind of out of date. Yes, Northgate has a reputation for being high crime, but does that mean that if you live there you are likely going to be a victim of a crime? Probably not. And here on C-D and elsewhere, you'd read about White Center as if just walking into the neighborhood, you're likely to get shot ot stabbed. If that's true, why are businesses opening up there right and left? The popular West Seattle breakfast spot Meander is opening a larger place in White Center, Full Tilt Ice Cream does well there, the Triangle Pub,Proletariat Pizza, 3.14 pie bakery, and others. Even 10 years ago, White Center was really bad. But its been transforming. That doesn't mean crime is completely gone from there, but it's becoema much more interesting and vibrant place.
A 2 bedroom, 2 bath for 1200 may be possible, but it won't be common. Maybe Renton, or Lake Forest Park, or Kenmore. Within Seattle, Lake City might have options. It's a neighborhood that also has that "bad" reputation, but as a lot of regular folks got priced out of living in hipper cooler neighborhoods further south, they've moved to Lake City. Some buildings are scuzzy, some are wonderful. I've got cousins in Lake City. They like it, and have lived there several years.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 15,956,580 times
You can find some fairly affordable apartments in Bellevue along 102nd Av between SE 3rd and SE 6th streets. I just googled and found this 2 bed, 2 bath, $1025.

102ND Ave SE and SE 3RD St Bellevue WA 98004 - $1,025/mo Apartment on Walk Score

You can commute to Seattle via I-90. I-90 is about 5 minutes south. There's a 550 express bus that stops close by (Bellevue Way). It goes to downtown Seattle, although I'm not sure how close to Lake Union it stops. It's a very, very safe neighborhood, close to several small parks, and walking distance to lots of shopping.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 PM

723 posts, read 2,083,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr1967 View Post
Oh, stay away from West and South Seattle and King County.
Yes because West Seattle is the epitome of sketch rite? lol. no. Sometimes if I walk too far away from the junction I feel as if i've wandered into the suburbs.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM

They have a family. They aren't coming here alone. I was responding to him the way I would want people to respond to me if I was moving here with a small child. I've lived in King and Snohomish County so wanted to be fair. If you think there are areas in West Seattle or SOuth King County where you would want your 4 year old child wandering around, so be it. I sure wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area