Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 PM

72,815 posts, read 62,143,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
That's my view. They added trips on the South Line, and it resulted in higher ridership. But times are different, and so are the politicians, so they're going to reduce service on the north line.
Time would help, and so would other things. However, alot of people aren't patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
Additionally, the north line has problems the south line doesn't.
1) A couple times a winter, it is shut down from mudslides, or fear of mudslides, over the tracks.
2)It is also slower: Everett to Seattle takes 59 minutes. A similar distance from the south, Auburn to Seattle is 33 minutes.
3) Geographically, it is further from population density with less parking options. It doesn't make sense for a lot of potential riders to spend time getting west to Mukilteo or Edmonds to spend another 45 min on a train.

Going to the park and ride and taking the bus makes a lot more practical sense from the north.
The geographic part seems to be the biggest problem. I looked at the lines. They are misplaced. They need to follow I-5. It goes through more dense spaces.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,810,320 times
Well, those tracks were already in place long before the Sounder trains came along.

I guess for north of Seattle, ultimately the LR would be a better option as it can be built into and along the population centers. But that's going to be way down into the future.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Well, those tracks were already in place long before the Sounder trains came along.

I guess for north of Seattle, ultimately the LR would be a better option as it can be built into and along the population centers. But that's going to be way down into the future.
Is it possible to build new tracks?

I know it will be down the road in the future. That being said, light rail seems like a good idea.

This is how I look at Sound Transit, being an outsider. It started later, but I look at the Seattle area is being more progressive, and not having as much aversion to public transportation, as say, metropolitan Atlanta.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Is it possible to build new tracks?

I know it will be down the road in the future. That being said, light rail seems like a good idea.

This is how I look at Sound Transit, being an outsider. It started later, but I look at the Seattle area is being more progressive, and not having as much aversion to public transportation, as say, metropolitan Atlanta.
You're kidding right? It's going to take Seattle 12 years to come up with a decision on whether they should put forward an idea about building new tracks, LOL. Then another couple years as they gotta come up with studies after studies about whether if its a good idea or not.

All the reason why LR looks really good-- the decision's already been made and there will be a line going up in that general area anyways.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
You're kidding right? It's going to take Seattle 12 years to come up with a decision on whether they should put forward an idea about building new tracks, LOL. Then another couple years as they gotta come up with studies after studies about whether if its a good idea or not.

All the reason why LR looks really good-- the decision's already been made and there will be a line going up in that general area anyways.
I don't know what else to think of.

Light rail seems like a good decision for the area. And if there is a line going up, then things are already a step up.

When I meant progressive, this is what I meant: When Atlanta came out with MARTA, it was meant to encompass more than 2 counties. It was suppose to be far more expansive than it is now. Only Fulton and DeKalb County approved. All of the other counties said NO. Reason? Well, many residents were leaving Atlanta and going to the suburbs. Some referred to MARTA as Moving Africans Rapidly Through Atlanta. Very ironic because now those counties have substantial minority populations. Atlanta got started earlier than Seattle, but I don't see some of the same issues with mass transit as Seattle. Atlanta has basically stalled.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 PM

Public transit here didn't stall because of racial bias... it had a lot to do with tax dollars, management and public trust.

There was suppose to be a monorail connecting West Seattle to DT Seattle (with hopes of connecting to Queen Anne, eventually Ballard and northward). That whole thing was a (clusterduff). And it does exemplify as to why Seattle had stalled on public transit early on.

With SoundTransit, it looked like at first it was heading that way... and somehow just came out right. Now they're actually efficient, under-budget and on time with their projects. People are at least happy about that... so now you have groups hoping to capitalize on that and get that line linking West Seattle back up but using LR instead. I think one of the posters here is part of that group (Ancalagon?). If the economy was better now, who knows how far it could go in the future.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Public transit here didn't stall because of racial bias... it had a lot to do with tax dollars, management and public trust.
Part of my point. In Atlanta, racial bias was a major factor that I'm not seeing happen in Seattle.

Quote:
There was suppose to be a monorail connecting West Seattle to DT Seattle (with hopes of connecting to Queen Anne, eventually Ballard and northward). That whole thing was a (clusterduff). And it does exemplify as to why Seattle had stalled on public transit early on.
I'm wondering if Seattle today could build more monorails across the city.

Quote:
With SoundTransit, it looked like at first it was heading that way... and somehow just came out right. Now they're actually efficient, under-budget and on time with their projects. People are at least happy about that... so now you have groups hoping to capitalize on that and get that line linking West Seattle back up but using LR instead. I think one of the posters here is part of that group (Ancalagon?). If the economy was better now, who knows how far it could go in the future.
If Sound transit can run under budget, it is a wonder of how much more could be achieved going on-budget.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 PM

723 posts, read 2,187,945 times
Quote:
Ya but...i'm not gonna lie, the rapidride C & D lines are pretty dang nice . I ride um every day and they almost get the job done except for not having dedicated bus lanes for on ramp and entire duration of the viaduct instead of like 3/5ths as it is now. They could've done it if they wanted to.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Ya but...i'm not gonna lie, the rapidride C & D lines are pretty dang nice . I ride um every day and they almost get the job done except for not having dedicated bus lanes for on ramp and entire duration of the viaduct instead of like 3/5ths as it is now. They could've done it if they wanted to.
More reason for me to return to the Seattle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area