Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 AM

58 posts, read 111,791 times

Advertisements

Okay everyone... I'm visiting Seattle..my future home city this weekend and would love suggestions on where to go and visit. I'm looking for great local restaurants (which you all helped with in a previous post). I'm looking for anything that would be interesting. Not stuff like the Space Needle. But stuff that is more localized. Any hints would be great... and it doesn't have to be in a specific area... Different districts, etc..

Oh and does anyone know where Starbucks is located? (haha just teasing!!!)

Thank you

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Hello "ForSureSeattle",

Have a great trip and remember the local saying , "friends don't let friends drink Starbucks". If you like Starbucks, that is cool. What the saying means to we locals is that it is better to support local independent coffee shops (many think the quality of beans is better too). One of my favorites right by my house: Makeda Coffee

This weekend I have some great ideas:

First, at the world class Seattle Art near the Pike Place market, they have a brand new exhibit: Seattle Art Museum: Home Page Inspired by the Pompidou Center in Paris, which for nearly two years removed all the men's art from their modern galleries, the Seattle Art Museum is letting women take over its downtown building this fall. Lovers of art by men can still get their fill in the museum's Renaissance, Asian and Native art galleries, but those who want to explore art from this past century will be studying the contribution of women to photography, video, painting and sculpture.

Second, go visit the Wing Luke Museum in the International District The Wing Luke Museum of the Asian Pacific American Experience, fantastic museum that focuses on the many waves of Asian immigrants who have come to this city, their challenges and contributions. Wandering around the International District after will really awaken your senses, little alleys, with surprises around every corner: Chinese-American painters, herbal healers.

Third, Go to Fremont, see the "Troll" under the bridge, the Lenin statue and have lunch at a real British pub full of soccer fans and Brits who live in Seattle: Fremont Troll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, George & Dragon Pub | Seattle's British Pub in Fremont.

Fourth, go see our local professional Seattle Sounders soccer team play on the 21st at 6PM with the funnest, largest crowds in the league, 35,000 plus. You will swear you are in Europe with all the choreographed chants soccer knowledge. Even if you aren't a fan, it is a blast: FC Dallas - Seattle Sounders Football Club

Fifth, go to the corner of Martin Luther King Jr Way and Cherry St in the Central District in Seattle. We call it Little Ethiopia, 50,000 Ethiopians live in Seattle. The food, if you haven't had it, is delicious. From that corner, you can throw a rock and hit six or seven Ethiopian restaurants, my fave is: Seattle - Assimba Ethiopian Restaurant, Central District, Seattle, WA - Restaurant & Bar Reviews - The Stranger, Seattle's Only Newspaper

Last (a little touristy but beautiful): take a ferry anywhere, walk the Pike Place market, go downstairs or across the street from the main market. Eat authentic Mexican food at Puerco Lloron: Page Title

Enjoy the trip!
Vince

Last edited by homesinseattle; 10-18-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
This gets asked a lot:

The downtown area is small and walkable, you can do all the typical things including
Lunch at the Space Needle Space Needle | Restaurant
Pike Place Market, Pike Place Market - Home
The Seattle Underground Tour, UNDERGROUND TOUR
Ferry ride to Bainbridge Island from Pier 52 http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedul...roundtrip=true
You can walk on the ferry or if you have a car you can drive on http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/vesselwatch/TerminalDetail.aspx?terminalid=7
Ride the Seattle Ferris Wheel at Pier 57 Frequently Asked Questions | Seattle Great Wheel
Dinner at Ivars right next door Ivar's Seafood Restaurants and Chowder - Offering Seattle or any number of restaurants in the area
Take the Argosy Locks Cruise and see the floating homes in Lake Union including the Sleepless in Seattle house Seattle Locks Cruise and Sightseeing Tour : Argosy Cruises In Seattle as well as go through the Ballard Locks
If you have a car you can drive up to Whidbey Island http://www.whidbeycamanoislands.com/.../scenic-areas/ and tour the little towns like Langley and Coupeville where Practical Magic was filmed and then cross Deception Pass http://littleurl.info/c3z
You can do this by driving North on 5 to Mukilteo and taking the Mukilteo-Clinton ferry http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/vess...?terminalid=14 to Whidbey Island stopping at little towns along the way then crossing Deception Pass which will take you to Anacortes, another nice coastal town or come back South on 5 to Seattle.
If you do go to Anacortes, you can tour the San Juan Islands via the San Juan Island ferry http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedul...x?route=ana-sj

Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 AM

58 posts, read 111,791 times
Thank you Thank you Thank you homesinseattle and seacove!!! Love these suggestions! I'm totally changing my Screen Name to "ForSureSeattle" or maybe "ForeverSeattle". Woo Hoo! I'm more motivated and excited to move.

As far as Starbucks is concerned.... We don't have anything but Starbucks where I live... So it's my "get out" spot! At home I drink LaVazza. It's the best! I will definitely hit up Makeda.

I'm so anxious to get on that plane! Ironically I don't really own many sweaters or warm clothes. So I'm out shopping today. Funny as it sounds I'll be shopping for sweaters and warm clothes while I wear shorts, t-shirt and sandals. it's 73 at 10am in san clemenete today. we are expected to hit 80. :/

Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
I'm a Miami boy originally and you will often find me wearing sweaters and flip-flops at the same time. One of the nicest things I like is that in Seattle (even in some of the nicest places), I can get away with wearing whatever I want. When I'm working in the summer, shorts and sandals!

If I could say one things that you "NEED" to do this weekend (the art museum would be great), go online and get tickets to the Sounders soccer match (yes, we call them "matches" because we Seattleites imagine ourselves to much more European than the rest of the country

Last edited by homesinseattle; 10-18-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeseattle View Post
Thank you Thank you Thank you homesinseattle and seacove!!! Love these suggestions! I'm totally changing my Screen Name to "ForSureSeattle" or maybe "ForeverSeattle". Woo Hoo! I'm more motivated and excited to move.

As far as Starbucks is concerned.... We don't have anything but Starbucks where I live... So it's my "get out" spot! At home I drink LaVazza. It's the best! I will definitely hit up Makeda.

I'm so anxious to get on that plane! Ironically I don't really own many sweaters or warm clothes. So I'm out shopping today. Funny as it sounds I'll be shopping for sweaters and warm clothes while I wear shorts, t-shirt and sandals. it's 73 at 10am in san clemenete today. we are expected to hit 80. :/
Bring something with a hood, or bring a hat. It makes being out in the rain that much more bearable.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 AM

And visit the quirky Georgetown neighborhood for a meal, a beer, or a visit to the Hat N' Boots:
Seattle Channel Video Player -- You're Watching: Community Stories: Hat and Boots

Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeseattle View Post
Okay everyone... I'm visiting Seattle..my future home city this weekend and would love suggestions on where to go and visit. I'm looking for great local restaurants (which you all helped with in a previous post). I'm looking for anything that would be interesting. Not stuff like the Space Needle. But stuff that is more localized. Any hints would be great... and it doesn't have to be in a specific area... Different districts, etc..

Oh and does anyone know where Starbucks is located? (haha just teasing!!!)

Thank you

David
Its funny that you mention the Starbucks thing because they were saying in the paper that 80% of Americans live within 2 miles of a Starbucks. For whatever reason... just blew my mind. Don't ask me why, LOL.

However... yes, I agree with PP, visit the local chains-- you might like waaaayy better than Sbux. I'll rec El Diablo. Great place, awesome mocha.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:43 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,158 times
I love the Savor Seattle food tour at Pike Place Market. Its the most fun and thorough behind the scenes tour, you will get full on all the food you get to sample (Beacher cheese, peroshkies, chowder, doughnuts, coffee etc). We just recently had family in town and took them on a ferry over to Bainbrige. Isla Bonita has good Mexican and you HAVE to do Moras ice cream......then hit the parks and beaches (Discovery, Golden Gardens, Seward)

Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM

Full Tilt Ice Cream is definitely worth a visit. Besides the high quality and great assortment of flavors, they have old school pinball machines and beer. Locations in White Center, the U District, COlumbia City, and Ballard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area