Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 PM

278 posts, read 636,455 times

Advertisements

Chicago is not that cold in November. January and February are the coldest months. Go to Chicago!

I've been to San Antonio several times. I've even been to Fredericksburg and Austin. They're nice but... San Antonio is nothing to write home about. Chicago is a behemoth of a city- somewhere that every American should visit at least once. It's architecture is second to none in the country except maybe NYC. The food and restaurant scene is arguably the best in the nation. Nightlife is really fun. People are friendly. Public transportation is awesome so you don't need to rent a car. I pretty much guarantee you'd have more fun in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 02:34 PM

507 posts, read 1,668,928 times
Thanks again, guys, great input :-)

I think I am leaning more towards Chicago by now. As long as I don't freeze to death out there I am ok, after all I do everything by foot in the Seattle Winter Plus I just found out it's Mavs @ Bulls while I am there...so I get the best of Texas while in Chicago...perfect combination

I'll do the trips into the sun when my wife is back in the country, she's into hot climates, so she'll probably up for trips to Miami, New Orleans etc...or I go to Chicago again with her in summer

Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Have a great trip!

Make sure to go to Chicago's oldest pub, around since 1881: Schaller's Pump - Bridgeport - Chicago, IL.

Chicago History Museum is great too: Chicago History Museum |

Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,123 times
I prefer Chicago unless the temperature is < 40F when you go there. I got bored in San Antonio and hated the driving and drivers and in-obvious possibly automatic tolls in Dallas. After I returned my rental car, a month later I got a $50 bill in the mail for two missed 50 cent tolls! Still no idea how I could have missed them since I never saw any staffed toll booths nor signs recommending people to slow down for tolls ahead. Austin is good, but a bit overrated.

If you have frequent flyer miles on Southwest, you can get a great deal to fly to Midway (MDW) for under 10k miles one way if you book the ticket 7 days or more in advance from their site. Even without miles, airfare is reasonable since MDW is SW's hub.

Book the ticket 8 days in advance after seeing the 10-day weather forecast for Chicago. If there is a snowstorm projected, avoid even if you are skeptical of weather forecasts.

Too late now, but any person who likes to travel a few times a year needs to get this:

Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Credit Card

Last edited by usernametaken; 10-18-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-18-2012, 03:25 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,540 times
I lived in Chicago for 9 yrs ('96-'05) on State and Ontario. I prefer to visit during the warmer months but November is usually still ok compared to Jan/Feb. I do miss the urban feel of Chicago since Seattle is more known for its outdoor attractions. Maybe you could do an architectural tour of Chicago by boat if they still have it that time of year. Field Museum, Art Museum, Shedd Aquarium are my favourites. If you are able to catch a Bears/Bulls game then that's always a great experience. New restaurant or lounge openings are always fun to go to as well and there are always dozens opening up every month. Being a single guy you could have a lot of fun there. I'll be there in late March/early April and hoping the bitter winter is over by then.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM

hey, thanks. Just to clarify, I am not actually single, just doing this trip on my own. So while I am planning to have fun I am not allowed to have any kind of fun

Bulls game is definitely on the must-do list, 2 of them if I can, definitely want to see my man the Dirkster fade-away-jump the **** out of the Bulls

Old 10-18-2012, 03:44 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Good clarification, SitoUK!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:58 PM

would you recommend a particular part of town to find accommodation in for good access to sights and activities?

Old 10-19-2012, 02:26 PM

278 posts, read 636,455 times
What's your nightly hotel budget?

River North and Gold Coast will give you by far the best access to sights and activities as a tourist. I recommend Sofitel or a hotel near it. It's around $170/night and it's two blocks away from the Magnificent Mile, John Hancock Center where you can get a drink on the 95th floor and get stunning panoramic views of the city, shopping, bars great dining and a very short distance to the Loop (the financial district), Millenium and Grant Parks, the Bean, Art Institute of Chicago, etc... You'd also be in walking distance of Old Town where you could go to the famous improv theater Second City.

If you want something cheaper there's a holiday inn express in River North.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM

thanks, this is valuable information! Yes, the Holiday Inn might be a good option. I am usually only there to sleep, to as long as the bed is comfortable and clean I am ok :-) I'll check out that areas for other options, too.

Just my lonely planet, so the planning can start
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area