Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:51 PM

37 posts, read 139,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Do you have kids?
I have two little ones. We live in a family oriented neighborhood in the bay area and yet we rarely ever see kids playing. We are a block from a park but usually when we go there all the kids are in organized soccer camps, except the babies and toddlers with their nannies.

We lived back in the UK for 2 yrs where kids still all congregated in the local park after school, where most kids walked to and from school, and where they rode their bikes and played football in the street. They were also in and out of each other's houses all the time. After school activities were prettty much limited to a Scouts group or music lesson once a week, and I never heard the term "playdate"; rather kids just got together and played, unscheduled.

It's been incredibly hard to transition to this isolated US lifestyle. We may be in about as good a place as it gets for families in some ways and yet we're still in search of somewhere that feels more community/family oriented and where the stressors are less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
Sounds like you guys want to slow down a bit Definitely check out the Austin forum and ask these same questions. I think you will be surprised and find what you are looking for.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Lot's of people moving to Austin from California... It can be hot, but it's pretty much ideal in my opinion. Great place to raise a family.

Oh yes, I've heard great things about Austin. We're coastal kinds of people though so doubt that would work for us.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
There are tons of large lakes, and it's a 4 hour drive from the coast. Same as Seattle.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM

307 posts, read 1,420,890 times
I know this may sound crazy, but I think it is the more affluent/expensive areas that suffer from this kids with nannies and isolated/super planned out existence. Some of the less upscale neighborhoods seem to have kids playing in the cul de sac, riding bikes, enjoying BBQs and time with neighborhood kids. Maybe too much $$$$ isn't good for kids. ??? Just throwing this out there.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:01 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamaya View Post
It's been incredibly hard to transition to this isolated US lifestyle. We may be in about as good a place as it gets for families in some ways and yet we're still in search of somewhere that feels more community/family oriented and where the stressors are less.
You should be able to find that just about anywhere in America, but it exists predominately in small town/rural areas. It's a tradeoff in most cases, quality of life versus money. Very few areas in a city will offer both without being astronomically expensive.

My wife decided being home with the kids was more important than her career, but as a result we had to move out of the city. I was actually psyched because I prefer to be in areas where I don't smell exaust, am not exposed to constant benzene/chemicals all day, and can go fishing/hunting/hiking without getting into a vehicle.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
I know this may sound crazy, but I think it is the more affluent/expensive areas that suffer from this kids with nannies and isolated/super planned out existence. Some of the less upscale neighborhoods seem to have kids playing in the cul de sac, riding bikes, enjoying BBQs and time with neighborhood kids. Maybe too much $$$$ isn't good for kids. ??? Just throwing this out there.
Not crazy...I totally agree...a therapist from the Bay Area recently wrote a book about how troubled over priveleged kids are...have to search out her name.

At least it makes me feel better that we're broke!

Chris, I agree it's a trade off...we tried rural when I decided to be a sahm(western MA) and I discovered it was not for me. Having to get in the car for absolutely everything (groceries, seeing friends, etc) really got me down, and we were very isolated because everyone commuted hrs to work. Not like english countryside where I grew up where you walk down to the village post office, pub, etc...though that is also fast disappearing.

We're seeking some kind of balance, but maybe there isn't one in this country. It's a country of extremes, it seems.

Unless Austin is the answer to all our woes

Old 10-11-2007, 11:32 AM

307 posts, read 1,420,890 times
mamamaya---
we've been looking at Gig Harbor b/c it seems to have a nice balance between properties with land that feel a bit more rual but also close to a cute little downtown and shopping, etc. My Mom is English and she's hoping that we decide to move to the PNW b/c she thinks it feels like England. I love the idea of living close enough to the harbor that I could walk down in the mornings and walk along the water and get a cup of coffee etc. I think Gig Harbor is an area where that would be possible......or at least live only a short drive from the harbor. Some of the neighborhoods have groups of houses on cul de sacs that seem to have an abundance of children. Seems pretty ideal. There are a lot of new developments there that have HOAs, which DH and I don't like. We'd rather buy into one of the older developments and live in a more relaxed environment. The best deal on houses there seem to be ones that were built in the 70s and 80s b/c they need updating. You seem to get a lot for your money if you're willing to do a little work updating.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:23 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
I love the idea of living close enough to the harbor that I could walk down in the mornings and walk along the water
Ness, you just described my normal morning (and evening) walks in Poulsbo...and it's just as nice as you imagine. So serene and relaxing.

We love living in the older part of town with no HOAs (yay!), houses with character--no cookie-cutter neighborhoods, kids playing in the park down the street, moms and/or dads pushing strollers, neighbors walking dogs, etc. I know living in a small town in an older neighborhood isn't for everyone, but over the years we've lived in enough different areas to appreciate the advantages we have here.

Lynn

Old 10-11-2007, 04:09 PM

what's an HOA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area