Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM

8 posts, read 18,391 times

Advertisements

Moving from Alabama to Seattle next summer. Looking for a good middle/upper class neighborhood for a young couple making 100-120k combined income. We have no kids and small dog. We are looking into renting an apartment or house for a couple of years to learn the city before buying. Any recommendations? We prefer the true city life not suburan hell. I'm a former Urban Planner turned salesman. Walkability and transit are HUGE for me. We own two cars and plan on keeping them so street parking/garages or driveways are a must. I'm not a live in downtown type of guy I like to live in the immediate outlying areas of the urban core yet want to live somewhere safe with maybe a local pub that can be easily accessed by walking or train. We aren't the go out and party type so lively night life isn't a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Where will you be working? Seattle or the Eastside?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 AM

8 posts, read 18,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Where will you be working? Seattle or the Eastside?
Great question and no clue at all. We're moving based on her job. She's a teacher with 8 years of experience. I'm going to find a job when i get there. I'm a salesman and a pretty good one at that, finding a job luckily for me has never really been a problem.

Regardless, I want input regardless of job location so I can truly find out what the bests places are for my taste. I'd rather live somewhere I love than somewhere necessarily close to work.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
You're making a pretty big assumption that you'd get hired when you move here.

But assuming hotshot salesman can actually get the job ...

If you continue to make $120k a year you won't be "upper class" ... you'll be straight middle class here. Get that in your heads NOW. Things are MUCH MUCH more expensive than Alabama. You won't be driving fancy cars and living in 3000 sq. ft. homes in cultured stone-surrounded subdivisions.

On that income and assuming you were frugal for a few years while you saved up a down payment on a house, I would recommend Kirkland or Bellevue if you're working on the eastside of Lake Washington. If you're moving more north, check out Bothell, Mill Creek, Silver Lake, or Mukilteo or Snohomish. Maybe Edmonds too, depending on whether you're more east or west.

If you're going south, then West Seattle and Auburn are places you should consider.

If you're working downtown then I'd recommend setting expectations low. You mayyy be able to find condos or townhomes that are within your budget (max say $400k) that are in the city. Yes you can find houses that are within your budget on the north side but ... being honest here, most are tear-downs. I wouldn't buy most of the houses around Seattle for $400k. The ones that are nice and are near that price point or slightly more than it go like hotcakes - think days. There's an app that alerts home buyers WITHIN THE MINUTE a house is put on the NWMLS. Most of the nice houses are around $550k or around there.

Other than that there are rentals in Queen Anne, Ballard, Wallingford, and around there. Also consider to the east of UW but not north (IMHO I still think Ravenna is somewhat sketchy ... sure there's people who LOVE living there and IT'S TEH BEST!!!~~~@!@!! but ... I wouldn't jog there at night).

Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
You're making a pretty big assumption that you'd get hired when you move here.

But assuming hotshot salesman can actually get the job ...

If you continue to make $120k a year you won't be "upper class" ... you'll be straight middle class here. Get that in your heads NOW. Things are MUCH MUCH more expensive than Alabama. You won't be driving fancy cars and living in 3000 sq. ft. homes in cultured stone-surrounded subdivisions.
//www.city-data.com/city/Washington.html
Median household income, 2009:
Seattle, $60,843
Bellevue, $82,408
WA, $56,548

$120,000 is a lot, except maybe for people who took out mortgages to buy houses during the boom. Consider also that this couple has no children. Children are expensive. Housing costs more here, but those costs are easy to find. Gas costs more - also not hidden. Restaurants are more expensive, because the minimum wage is higher. I've not lived in Alabama, but overall food is cheaper here than in NC. Most things are about the same.

We don't come close to $120k, and we have no worries.

Sorry, OP, I don't know the neighborhoods - I'm not a city person.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblake View Post
Moving from Alabama to Seattle next summer. Looking for a good middle/upper class neighborhood for a young couple making 100-120k combined income. (snip) I'm not a live in downtown type of guy I like to live in the immediate outlying areas of the urban core yet want to live somewhere safe with maybe a local pub that can be easily accessed by walking or train. We aren't the go out and party type so lively night life isn't a must.
Seattle suburbs aren't exactly hell, though there is a rather interesting differentiation between "Seattle-proper" and "eastside". I chuckle at the snootiness of residents in both (I just bought property eastside, so guess that makes me one of the suburban gentry).

The eastside is dominated by Bellevue, a city in its own right. Seattle and eastside are seperated directly by a nasty little cuss of a bridge called "the 520" over Lake Washington: They are building another to replace it, and not a minute too soon since it has been a bottleneck to traffic for God knows how long.

That-said, if you are staying on the Seattle-side (sounds like it), there are tons of great neighborhoods for old-school, upscale, old money duplexes (Queen Anne) to cool urban hipster (Fremont) to something in the middle (Magnolia). Might want to also check out:

Greenwood
Green Lake
Georgetown --a bit south
Wallingford
U District
Ballard
Belltown --downtown
Pioneer Square --downtown
International District --downtown
Madrona

If someone held a gun to my head and I had to live Seattle-side, I'd personally choose Madrona. Based on your criteria, might be worth a close look. Might fit your budget, for $2K-2.5K /month rent or mortgage.

There is a 13 mile urban hike I found via Garmin's myConnect website that passes through a couple of the above and gives an excellent cross-section of non-urban core neighborhoods. If you like to walk or bike, might want to really get out on the ground to make your decision. Smell the air, catch the vibe, make a call: your instincts will probably be right regarding where you "belong."

Old 10-29-2012, 09:23 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
IMHO I still think Ravenna is somewhat sketchy ... sure there's people who LOVE living there and IT'S TEH BEST!!!~~~@!@!! but ... I wouldn't jog there at night).
You wouldn't jog in the park, or anywhere in Ravenna at night? The house we're moving into Zillows for just under $900K, and the houses and comps all around us are well above the median home price. I have a hard time understanding how Ravenna home prices and property values could be so high if you aren't even safe walking there after dark.

This isn't about me thinking it's the best; I haven't moved in yet, so I don't know. I'm just trying to understand the disconnect between crime maps/property values, and your anecdotal input.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,359,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
You wouldn't jog in the park, or anywhere in Ravenna at night? The house we're moving into Zillows for just under $900K, and the houses and comps all around us are well above the median home price. I have a hard time understanding how Ravenna home prices and property values could be so high if you aren't even safe walking there after dark.

This isn't about me thinking it's the best; I haven't moved in yet, so I don't know. I'm just trying to understand the disconnect between crime maps/property values, and your anecdotal input.
I should be more clear. Near 55th and 65th are kinda sketchy. Between 25th and 35th ave and 55th and 65th st is what I would consider car prowl heaven. There's also been assaults and stuff along the major avenues. But if you stay in the neighborhoods, it should be OK.

North of 65th is better. Near the park is OK, but I dunno, they discover dead people in the park 3-4 times a year, usually from drug overdoses. Just sorta "eh" neighborhood for me.

And when I think "upper class" I think folks who can afford multimillion dollar homes, maintain them, and the lifestyle of going out. I just wanted to smash the assertion right there that 120k affords an "upper class" lifestyle. And median incomes are misleading ... you can have a population with a large bulge of folks who make a lot of money (i.e. the folks that have homes on the shores) and a whole lotta people who don't make close to it and still get a median of 60k.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:35 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,480 times
Wallingford, south Ballard or Green Lake sound like they're up your alley. They're outside of downtown, but still have a very Seattle feel to them. Not as many tourists roaming around there but still interesting. And most of the residents are in the same age range. Wallingford has great public transportation since it's more central and close to I-5. But you will have trouble with parking. It's a neighborhood known for it's cute craftsman homes but there are always cars lined up on both sides of the street.

Moderator cut: see note

For that salary, you could probably rent a small, average quality house or a really nice apartment in the neighborhoods I mentioned.

Even though West Seattle is beautiful and surprisingly cheaper, it's kinda secluded and doesn't feel like the rest of Seattle IMO. I wouldn't recommend that neighborhood unless you know you'll be working close by. But it's a charming neighborhood for sure.

Last edited by Count David; 11-05-2012 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: links to competing sites not allowed

Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Howdy Crimson Blake,

Welcome in advance to Seattle! My cousin played baseball for the "Tide" and I have been subjected to rabid Alabama fans (he and his friends) all of my life. By the way, you didn't ask, but the college football culture at UW (Huskies) is one of the best in the country.

My family and I live in the great little area called Phinney Ridge, close to Green Lake. You urban planner sensibilities will appreciate the way Seattle is laid out, even though topography made it challenging. The fantastic natural park system (Discovery, Green Lake, Seward Park, Volunteer Park and others) if the work of the legendary Ohlmstead Brothers, who most famously designed Central Park in NYC.

The best way to put it, Seattle is a city ringed by amazing, accessible, character filled neighborhoods. Most of them have little pubs, cafes, coffee shops within a few steps. You will love it! Your income should get you by just fine. Yes, some things can be expensive here but what special place isn't.

Have a look at the neighborhoods on the North side of town. I think you would like the vibe. Ballard, Phinney Ridge, Wallingford, Greenwood, Ravenna, Roosevelt, Maple Leaf. West Seattle is great too but a bit far if you end up working on the Eastside.

Cheers,

Vince
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area