Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2007, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 24,751 times

Advertisements

I too think I have experienced the Seattle Freeze on a slightly different level (although I am also having difficulty making friends.)

I have lived in my current apartment for 6 months. I play new age music at night to help me fall asleep. I received a phone call from my landlady at 12:30 this morning telling me that since she has received 4 complaints on the matter, she has noted in my rental history that I keep my neighbor up at night with my loud music.

First of all, I don't think my music is that loud (Enya doesn't exactly have a bass line). And second, I was completely unaware that I was keeping anyone up at night with my music! My neighbor (whom I haven't even met) never once bothered to tell me to shut up, and my landlady never told me that she was receiving complaints. From what I can tell, my neighbor has just been tolerating this noise without doing anything about it.

I feel bad that I kept anyone up at night, but it seems like if there is a noise problem, you confront the person making the noise while they are making it, and not just passively tolerate it. Is my neighbor just so averted to confronting me about it? Is this an instance of the Seattle Freeze?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM

277 posts, read 1,298,954 times
Absolutely. That's the passive-aggressive freeze!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Yes, that would **** me off mightily. Once when I lived in an apartment in Bellevue, a few students at the Digipen university rented the unit next door. They would play DDR (dance/rythym video game) late into night at least a few times a week. Since the game forces you to actually dance, I could hear their feet thumping through the walls and floor pretty loudly. I asked them to be quiet once, and they were really cool about it and started cutting it off when it got too late. Why do people have to be little b*tches about it and complain to the landlord???

p.s.- maybe it was karmic retribution for listening to Enya? That in and of itself is a crime against humanity.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
p.s.- maybe it was karmic retribution for listening to Enya? That in and of itself is a crime against humanity.
Hehe. Hey it's boring enough to put me to sleep!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM

277 posts, read 1,298,954 times
Plus I think it's cheesy that your landlord is buying into it. Sounds like you could use a new place to live.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:19 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Check out the website called seattle shmeng. Just enter "shmeng" as a search term on your favorite search engine. You'll get the URL.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Check out the website called seattle shmeng. Just enter "shmeng" as a search term on your favorite search engine. You'll get the URL.
That site is such a joke....unintentionally hilarious. It's a small group of people engaging in a never ending b*tch-fest (which apparently flamed out several months ago as the site is laughably dated). I'd say it's 50% far right nuts disaffected with the amount of gays and liberals within greater Seattle, and 50% losers that moved here from out of state and can't get laid. Of course you never run across any constructive criticism, just complaining about how miserable their lives are. Jump off a bridge already!

I mean, look at just the parent site, schmeng.com.....it's a bunch of loser gothic "kids" (most are above 30) that still cut their arms and smoke weed on a daily basis while listening to KMFDM in front of their all-black myspace pages.......

_charles_, how many of the threads have you started there? one third of them? I know my good buddy geometricdisaster has written at least half of what is on the main page there.

Last edited by toughguy; 11-27-2007 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 01:51 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codewarrior2007 View Post
I too think I have experienced the Seattle Freeze on a slightly different level (although I am also having difficulty making friends.)

I have lived in my current apartment for 6 months. I play new age music at night to help me fall asleep. I received a phone call from my landlady at 12:30 this morning telling me that since she has received 4 complaints on the matter, she has noted in my rental history that I keep my neighbor up at night with my loud music.

First of all, I don't think my music is that loud (Enya doesn't exactly have a bass line). And second, I was completely unaware that I was keeping anyone up at night with my music! My neighbor (whom I haven't even met) never once bothered to tell me to shut up, and my landlady never told me that she was receiving complaints. From what I can tell, my neighbor has just been tolerating this noise without doing anything about it.

I feel bad that I kept anyone up at night, but it seems like if there is a noise problem, you confront the person making the noise while they are making it, and not just passively tolerate it. Is my neighbor just so averted to confronting me about it? Is this an instance of the Seattle Freeze?
I would be angry if something like that ever happened. I have had things similar to me happen that way. That isn't "the freeze". That is plotting against someone. I was joking around with some of my former roommates and they seemed cool about it. They went to the RA and told her everything. I was saying things anyone would say about the game Goldeneye. Apparently they felt "uncomfortable". If I felt uncomfortable, I would call you out right then and there. That is my style. I can be blunt and if I bother someone I expect the same from someone else because as blunt as I am, I can sometimes be dull and not know if I am bothering someone.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codewarrior2007 View Post
Hehe. Hey it's boring enough to put me to sleep!
Maybe thats why you are having problems finding friends? Hey, there's thats weird dude that blasts Enya late at night... let's invite him over for some brews....?!

I'm just messing with you.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
Plus I think it's cheesy that your landlord is buying into it. Sounds like you could use a new place to live.
I agree... Unfortunately, I'm only halfway through my lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area