Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times

Advertisements

...and a few years back, Washington State voters elected as lieutenant governor a Seattle nightclub owner who campaigned for office riding a goat and dressed like Gandhi. I think he served as Lieutenant Gov for 20 years

Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I don't know if there is something in the water or in the air. I don't know if people are just more reserved in Seattle.
Frankly, I like reserved.

What I did find interesting is that what hits some as 'reserved' and others as 'antisocial' may affect others in a more peculiar way.

There is an old article in the PI which states that although there is no nation wide database of serial killers, a disproportionate number may stem from the state of Washington or practiced their grisly business there. Perhaps the thick population of Seattle give them more victims to choose from. Perhaps the surrounding woods give them more places to bury bodies. Perhaps it's a good thing that locals don't get so chummy with outsiders.

Suspected or convicted serial killers in Washington

Old 03-05-2009, 07:09 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I don't know if there is something in the water or in the air. I don't know if people are just more reserved in Seattle.
Frankly, I like reserved.

What I did find interesting is that what hits some as 'reserved' and others as 'antisocial' may affect others in a more peculiar way.

There is an old article in the PI which states that although there is no nation wide database of serial killers, a disproportionate number may stem from the state of Washington or practiced their grisly business there. Perhaps the thick population of Seattle give them more victims to choose from. Perhaps the surrounding woods give them more places to bury bodies. Perhaps it's a good thing that locals don't get so chummy with outsiders.
Suspected or convicted serial killers in Washington
I know this is a bit off topic but the list has Ted Bundy going to the UW Law school. He did not. He attended the UW as an undergrad and went to the University of Puget Sound School of Law (back before it became the Seattle U school of law).

Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
...and a few years back, Washington State voters elected as lieutenant governor a Seattle nightclub owner who campaigned for office riding a goat and dressed like Gandhi. I think he served as Lieutenant Gov for 20 years
I guess I would do ifne in Seattle.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:25 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I am wondering if most of those who are uncomfortable with the folks in Seattle might come from more homogeneous communities.
I live in New Jersey, a suburb of New York City. It is a middle class, half blue collar town. My neighbors, some, are from other countries and don't speak English well. Others of my neighbors are religious and busybodies, neither quality attractive to me or mine. Most are Republican, which we are not. Many like football and various sports. The neighbor has a motorcycle and on the weekend leaves the wife at home and takes off with his buddies - to each his own.

It was below freezing yesterday. I locked myself out. I sat on my cement stoop for three hours watching these guys around me come home from work. Nobody asked what I was doing there. If they had offered I would have refused. As the sun set hubby came home and apologized for not replacing the 'hidden' key on the grounds.

I don't relate to these neighbors at all. Yeah, if it snows I will help them shovel and that sort of thing. I am civil and pleasant, but I really don't want to be social with them. I meet people doing things that I like.

So, I am wondering if this 'superficial' congress with people in Seattle may be similar.

You can choose your friends but not your relatives OR neighbors.

I keep to myself. I am used to 'distant' and think it's a good thing.
This has nothing to do with snobbery, but just individual differences and not wanting to waste time in unproductive and not necessary conversation.

A superficial relationship with some people is sometimes best because it is true, familiarity does breed contempt. The best some people can do, which I think is a very GOOD thing, is respectful mutual tolerance.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,230 times
In reply to your comment,
I agree people here can be cordial and friendly when it comes to work situations and those outside of what affects them personally.
I challenge you the next time you go to the Mall or any other public place, walk up to anyone and attempt to strike up a conversation.Unless you're talking to someone in Dallas, people here likely won't engage you unless you are asking the time.
I have lived in many places including the south,but here unless people know you, they don't want to know you, or your business.(I have lived here over 32 years) People here tend to be distrustful initially until they get to know you, and I tend to be the the same way. It doesn't mean we don't care, just that we prefer it that way.
My neighbors are also that way, I don't go out of my way to know them,and that's just fine with me.

Last edited by Rudy311; 03-06-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy311 View Post
In reply to your comment,
I agree people here can be cordial and friendly when it comes to work situations and those outside of what affects them personally.
I challenge you the next time you go to the Mall or any other public place, walk up to anyone and attempt to strike up a conversation.
I have lived in many places including the south,but here unless people know you they don't want to know you, or your business.(I have lived here over 32 years) People here tend to be distrustful initially until they get to know you, and I tend to be the the same way.
My neighbors are also that way, I don't go out of my way to know them,and that's just fine with me.
I live in the South. It seems like people would be more outgoing, but what I have noticed is that the children makes friends easier than the adults. I live in a subdivision and to be honest, I have lived next door to my neighbors for years and I don't talk to them much. I think part of it might be me. That and people work during the day and come home at night, uninterested in bonding with neighbors.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:44 PM

As for the "loose nuts" metaphor in earlier posts, I watched an episode of Anthony Bourdain:No Reservations and it was in the Pacific Northwest. According to Bourdain, the PNW being the way it is could have something to do with the fact that you have the "rejects" as some people might call them, flock to the PNW. The fact that Seattle is so far away from alot of things, being one of western most cities in the lower 48 and the northernmost major city of the lower 48, I could see things being far away.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:29 PM

204 posts, read 813,659 times
I didn't read any other responses. Someone mentioned Seattle Freeze to me some months ago and I read the story. There should be another story about all of the East Coast people who move here especially from Vermont or Rhode Island, New York City as well. They are nice people but they do not fit in at all. They are the misfits, pure and simple. So for those misfits to keep quoting a story about Seattle, it's not interesting. Californians move here and fit right in, in my opinion. Why is it always E COAST speculating on the "culture" of this area.

I was born in Seattle 40 years ago. Both of my parents were born in the Seattle area. My mom's side came to WA via Canada. My dad's grandfather came out here from PA at the turn of the century, mennonite.

Washington State culture is nearly identical to British Columbia and Alaska. Freeze Schmeeze. Now you know.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDawson View Post
I didn't read any other responses. Someone mentioned Seattle Freeze to me some months ago and I read the story. There should be another story about all of the East Coast people who move here especially from Vermont or Rhode Island, New York City as well. They are nice people but they do not fit in at all. They are the misfits, pure and simple. So for those misfits to keep quoting a story about Seattle, it's not interesting. Californians move here and fit right in, in my opinion. Why is it always E COAST speculating on the "culture" of this area.

I was born in Seattle 40 years ago. Both of my parents were born in the Seattle area. My mom's side came to WA via Canada. My dad's grandfather came out here from PA at the turn of the century, mennonite.

Washington State culture is nearly identical to British Columbia and Alaska. Freeze Schmeeze. Now you know.
Why don't you expound upon how east coasters "don't fit in" rather than just state it? That sounds like a generalization that ensures that you are not too welcoming to them (give them the cold shoulder -freeze?) I moved to Seattle from So Cal initially in '85 and people were much different in Seattle.

I finally read the article when a friend of mine told me about it. She is a native and she thought it was accurate.

Last edited by Jennibc; 03-09-2009 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: expounding upon my own statement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area