Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 11:09 PM

30 posts, read 101,917 times

Advertisements

Any group of people who actually back their car up if they are blocking my path in a crosswalk are SO not rude in my book. Had this phenomena happen for a 3rd time since I've been here, and everytime I'm in shock. In Miami, you're likely to get cursed out for crossing a crosswalk, even though you have the right of way!

You Seattleites are awesome!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_mia_sea View Post
Any group of people who actually back their car up if they are blocking my path in a crosswalk are SO not rude in my book. Had this phenomena happen for a 3rd time since I've been here, and everytime I'm in shock.
People do that in SF as well, unless they're Asian. If they're Asian, they just stare at you as you walk toward and then around their car with little poker faces... IDK why.

I love Seattle drivers for the most part. Again, for all that I'm down on Seattle about, the traffic and drivers I have no complaints about after having lived in some of the most congested road-rage capitals of America!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:27 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_mia_sea View Post
Any group of people who actually back their car up if they are blocking my path in a crosswalk are SO not rude in my book. Had this phenomena happen for a 3rd time since I've been here, and everytime I'm in shock. In Miami, you're likely to get cursed out for crossing a crosswalk, even though you have the right of way!

You Seattleites are awesome!
Hmmm. Sounds just like NYC except instead of getting cursed out, they will just run you down or at least try to. I will say on the other hand that some people take the "right of way" to the next level in Seattle and just have their heads down and cross without even acknowledging the car. There would be a lot of dead bodies in Seattle if New Yorkers crossed like that. All jokes aside, I grew up in the NY area and have lived in Seattle for years and it is such a pleasure to drive in Seattle (definitely a lot more polite drivers). I would never get behind the wheel in NY and it's not because I'm scared, it's just too stressful when you have someone cutting you off, tailgating and honking their horn at you. Driving in Seattle is great and so much more pleasant and relaxing (other than the traffic)! My dad was a part time cab driver back in the 70's in NYC and I honestly don't know how he did it without any accidents.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:35 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
Hmmm. Sounds just like NYC except instead of getting cursed out, they will just run you down or at least try to. I will say on the other hand that some people take the "right of way" to the next level in Seattle and just have their heads down and cross without even acknowledging the car. There would be a lot of dead bodies in Seattle if New Yorkers crossed like that. All jokes aside, I grew up in the NY area and have lived in Seattle for years and it is such a pleasure to drive in Seattle (definitely a lot more polite drivers). I would never get behind the wheel in NY and it's not because I'm scared, it's just too stressful when you have someone cutting you off, tailgating and honking their horn at you. Driving in Seattle is great and so much more pleasant and relaxing (other than the traffic)! My dad was a part time cab driver back in the 70's in NYC and I honestly don't know how he did it without any accidents.
Along those lines, my personal observation on my visits is that the Seattle drivers are very courteous, but the pedestrians are anything but. The driver's will cut you slack, but the pedestrians act like you don't even exist. I don't attribute this to the freeze though. A lot of cities have their own unique driver/cycler/pedestrian culture. This just happens to be Seattle's.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:07 PM

157 posts, read 218,236 times
Have lived in Seattle over a year now, and my observation is that Seattelites are generally very polite drivers.

However, please get out of the passing lane when you are driving the speed limit or lower...

Old 03-19-2011, 11:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
Have lived in Seattle over a year now, and my observation is that Seattelites are generally very polite drivers.

However, please get out of the passing lane when you are driving the speed limit or lower...
AMEN TO THAT!!! I don't think people understand or even know the concept of "left lane is for passing".

Old 03-19-2011, 10:03 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
AMEN TO THAT!!! I don't think people understand or even know the concept of "left lane is for passing".
Another AMEN! Everyone needs to drive in Germany for a year or two. They'll quickly get the point. Life is wonderful when people do that. Some folks seem to take joy in holding up anyone who would dare drive faster than they are.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,710 times
The reason the Seattle Freeze keeps getting brought back up and caused 5 different conversation threads to start is because it is still very real. The Seattle culture is cliquish, aloof, introverted and not very friendly. It is NOT the same at all in other big cities. It's a bit of a shock to the 40,000 (according to the census) new people who moved here in the last 10 years, because they KNOW this is not normal in other big cities in America. It is sad, really. If cities had a "friendliness quotient," I think Seattle would be one of the lowest in the world.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:31 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb18 View Post
The reason the Seattle Freeze keeps getting brought back up and caused 5 different conversation threads to start is because it is still very real. The Seattle culture is cliquish, aloof, introverted and not very friendly. It is NOT the same at all in other big cities. It's a bit of a shock to the 40,000 (according to the census) new people who moved here in the last 10 years, because they KNOW this is not normal in other big cities in America. It is sad, really. If cities had a "friendliness quotient," I think Seattle would be one of the lowest in the world.
That's quite a sweeping statement on your 2nd post.

As always, YMMV and you usually get back what you put into relationships, regardless of area code.

I found the exact opposite in Seattle.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:21 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
That's quite a sweeping statement on your 2nd post.

As always, YMMV and you usually get back what you put into relationships, regardless of area code.

I found the exact opposite in Seattle.

I don't see how the number of posts someone has had has anything to do with the validity of their experience and opinion.

I lived in Seattle for 12 years (before that in Virginia, both Northern and Southern, as well as DC), and am now in NYC. ITA with the poster you quoted to and responded to and the "Seattle Freeze" and passive aggressiveness is a very real and big phenomenon there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area