Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2012, 04:00 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm17ca View Post
Gosh, thanks for educating me, and especially for illustating how rude and demeaning people can be here. See what I mean? There's no reason for you to take it personally, or attack me, but it is a well-known fact that Seattle is like that, much more so than the typical city. You saying it isn't true has no effect on the situation.
I do like living here, I've gotten used to it, but I will never be like that. I smile, make eye contact, and make pleasant conversation, it really bugs the jerks, lol. I don't care if I'm in Rome, I will not do as the Romans do.
So you stand by the assertion that the incident you described could only happen is Seattle? I really don't see how I attacked you. I didn't take your post personally, (I really couldn't give a flip if this person or that person likes Seattle or doesn't, and I'm sure there are plenty of people I would get along fantastically with, that hate Seattle, even though I like it) I saw someone grasping at straws and offered an idea that might help make sense out of things. I have no doubt that you have had interactions or experiences that would leave you feeling put off. I'm merely pointing out that it could happen to any transplant in any city, and that maybe YOU shouldn't take it personally.

Also, if you've found a group of folks to hang with, whether it's thru work or interests or belief in a Seattle freeze, doesn't that kind of fly in the face of your message?

For the record, I smile and make eye contact too. That's just the way my momma raised me. I haven't heard any suggestions that you should stop. If someone else doesn't act the same way I do, should I get bent out of shape? Maybe they just have something else on their mind? Why engineer a whole backstory to explain why everyone is so horrible? Why not just let it roll off your back and keep on moving?

Last edited by Count David; 01-29-2012 at 05:47 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:04 PM

38 posts, read 134,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
... the heck?? Why don't you read this whole thread? You'll see that I never once denied the existence of the Seattle Freeze. I have been sympathetic because I myself know many people who complained as well. And I said the same thing to them that I said to you: Move out or make do. I don't care either way, I just don't think its worth it to be miserable and complaining about a city.

As for Olympia... sorry, I can't agree with your assessment that its "neo-conservative" and think it's bizarre. It makes me think that negativity has become your filter if that's how you see Olympia, but... yea. You obviously got issues if you automatically think everyone is attacking you.
I think the words used are less than friendly, maybe attack was a strong word to make my point. I did not read your posts, but felt like there was a lot of responding to my few posts, never thought anyone would notice. But I do have the right to express my opinion freely, isn't that the point of this thread? Weird that you have a problem with that.

I hated Olympia, and I know for a fact that I'm not alone in that feeling. Some boy named Breezy ridiculed my 10 year old daughter for being a hillbilly, (she pointed out that boys named Breezy should not criticize, lol) I saw lots of neck tattoos, heard lots of talk about semi-automatic weapons, I was scared to live there. And I came from the ghettos of Dallas! My perception is different than yours, that's all. Opinions are just that-we don't have to agree, and it's not a personal attack if I disagree with you. Whatever.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
So you stand by the assertion that the incident you described could only happen is Seattle? I really don't see how I attacked you. I didn't take your post personally, (I really couldn't give a flip if this person or that person likes Seattle or doesn't, and I'm sure there are plenty of people I would get along fantastically with, that hate Seattle, even though I like it) I saw someone grasping at straws and offered an idea that might help make sense out of things. I have no doubt that you have had interactions or experiences that would leave you feeling put off. I'm merely pointing out that it could happen to any transplant in any city, and that maybe YOU shouldn't take it personally.

Also, if you've found a group of folks to hang with, whether it's thru work or interests or belief in a Seattle freeze, doesn't that kind of fly in the face of your message?

For the record, I smile and make eye contact too. That's just the way my momma raised me. I haven't heard any suggestions that you should stop. If someone else doesn't act the same way I do, should I get bent out of shape? Maybe they just have something else on their mind? Why engineer a whole backstory to explain why everyone is so horrible? Why not just let it roll off your back and keep on moving?
Wow, try to look at this from my perspective for a second. I posted what? Three things last night? I got an email, and came back, and there were several responses I didn't think were very nice. I am not offended, just irked. Maybe it's the southern thing, we don't intentionally say things like that to people there, we are more polite. Maybe that's a bad thing, but it's a little jarring if you're not used to it.

Secondly, I am not a conformist, never have been. You move from New Jersey to Texas at the age of 6 and see if you don't get used to being different. It's this strange expectation that I should not feel the way I feel, or express it, or stand by it that offends. Not the opinions themselves, it's the pressure to be the same. I have no desire to do that, it's why I thought Seattle would be a good place for me.

And when I respond, I'm not saying I feel attacked, although some of the words on here are not nice, yours was not something I was offended by. Just don't agree with the suggestion that I should suffer in silence. I have not gotten personal with anyone, but have been told I 'need help', 'have issues' and am 'miserable'. None of which are true, or anyone making the comments would be in a position to make. that's all.

Maybe opinions of some people are offensive to your sensibilities, but I am not interested in changing to make you more happy, just as I'm sure the people who don't feel the need to be hospitable don't care how I feel about it. But certainly don't think it could only happen here, don't think I ever said that. That's taking what I did say and running with it.

Last edited by scm17ca; 01-27-2012 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: forgot a point

Old 01-27-2012, 04:18 PM

And no I am not native here. I just have something called perspective.[/quote]

Oh, there it is. That was a little snarky. But here's a thought. I never knew there were places where people thought passive aggressive was an acceptable way of living, I had been taught it was a personality disorder. Here it's the norm.

Likewise, where I'm from, (both Texas and New Jersey) people shoot from the hip, and are very direct. It's considered a value and is desirable. Here, I've been called "direct" like it's a bad thing. Why would anyone want to dance around the subject? But maybe it's offensive to people that are passive aggressive. Just a thought. I don't have time to waste trying to figure out what people really mean by what they say, even though they call it "being diplomatic" to me it's just passive aggressive. could be that I don't value the same traits the majority of people here do, and vice-versa. Doesn't mean I should change or be more like them, that would be unreasonable. But I'm sensing that's what people want.

Last edited by scm17ca; 01-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: xxx

Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Well if "a little snarky" = "attack" to you, then I give. I attacked you. The Seattle freeze is real, and will eat you alive.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Well if "a little snarky" = "attack" to you, then I give. I attacked you. The Seattle freeze is real, and will eat you alive.
THERE it is. You admit you were snarky, intentionally so. And yet there is nothing wrong with that in your view? That's why people have a hard time here. How much more effort would it have taken to not go that way? That's all I'm saying. It's less than friendly, and a nuisance for people to act like children.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM

No, there's nothing wrong with it. You posted some rather incredulous stuff, so you deserve a little snark. I mean, look at the word (actually it's slang), "snark". It's too funny to be taken seriously.

Wah.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:54 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,547 times
Quote:
Yes, I will be moving at some point, it took me about 10 years to get up the money to move here, so I'm thinking about where my next stop will be, probably California. Sun, waves, friendly people, good mexican food, yeah baby. I am not a whiner, and I am under no obligation to be who anyone thinks I should be. This is Seattle after all, I thought you people were supposed to be open minded and tolerant? Only of people like you. I am a friendly, outgoing, compassionate person, maybe that's why I had a hard time here. No reason to be so mean.

I think we should take up a collection. Kind of a relocation scholarship fund exclusive to members of the Seattle Freeze Association. We can call it the "Raindy Day Fund"

Last edited by Count David; 01-29-2012 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-27-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
THERE it is. You admit you were snarky, intentionally so. And yet there is nothing wrong with that in your view? That's why people have a hard time here. How much more effort would it have taken to not go that way? That's all I'm saying. It's less than friendly, and a nuisance for people to act like children.

You come here making wild assertions about a great town like Olympia, and stereotyping the great people of Seattle and you get your widdle feelings hurt when someone calls you out for it?

And you wonder why you can't get along with people around here?

I have news for you, the good folks of Seattle don't suffer fools as easily as you might think it .

Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I try not to pity people, but in both you and Bill's case I'll make an exception.
I'm sure those association meetings are all Kumbaya happy times. No doubt it is always filled with "What is right about Seattle" as opposed to a whinefest.

Who is kidding whom here?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area