Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 06:06 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,271,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryAficionado View Post
we agreed (I think) that the threads he linked weren't on this topic or as relevant. People gripe a lot in other citiy forums (and volumes ago, I posted some examples) about other things.
Right, in other cities, the griping is all about things affecting the quality of life - costs, sprawl, traffic, unbearable weather, city layout, etc. etc. Never in the Houston thread, for example, have I seen that the social vibe was unfriendly (some say they can be a little rough around the edges, but never unfriendly)

Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,190,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
No, that's not true. I can think of at least one other one where you never see anything about freeze and unfriendliness.
In fact you do. Over the past few months I have see it all over CD. I think you read some. Of course its not going on for 41 pages but its there, all over the country. Oh well at least you did something about it and left.

Last edited by pwright1; 03-27-2008 at 08:01 PM..

Old 03-27-2008, 10:27 PM

98 posts, read 101,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
In fact you do. Over the past few months I have see it all over CD. I think you read some. Of course its not going on for 41 pages but its there, all over the country. Oh well at least you did something about it and left.
Again, your statement would have more bearing if you provided examples. Otherwise, one could, for example, say "People all over these forums prefer tea over coffee and you know it!" -- without anything to back it up, it's just a specious statement.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:08 PM

5,861 posts, read 15,190,827 times
Quote:
Again, your statement would have more bearing if you provided examples. Otherwise, one could, for example, say "People all over these forums prefer tea over coffee and you know it!" -- without anything to back it up, it's just a specious statement.
First of all I don't need to show you proof. Why don't you sift through all the cities. I'm not. You know as well as I it is there. Maybe not 40+ pages of it but indeed it is there. Again you sift through this stuff. You will see. When people move to a new city there are things people like to know about. The people, crime, cost of living etc.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...d-dc-area.html

Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 PM

184 posts, read 550,463 times
Quote:
First of all I don't need to show you proof. Why don't you sift through all the cities. I'm not. You know as well as I it is there. Maybe not 40+ pages of it but indeed it is there. Again you sift through this stuff. You will see. When people move to a new city there are things people like to know about. The people, crime, cost of living etc.

Funny thing is I was just poking around the forums when I came across this thread:

If You Think L.A. Is Bad Try Miami.

They bash L.A., Miami, and even Houston in one swoop.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:

No thanks. Fair enough, you don't have to provide proof and neither I nor anyone else has to accept your statement as true at face value.

We've been over the fact that people complain in other city forums and often gripe about the people -- I think what Jenbar meant was that this "seattle freeze" type of topic isn't common to most other cities (places in MN and OR maybe aside).

That's all. Yeah, DC can be stereotyped as being full of rude, uptight, materialisitc, boring workaholics, I don't disagree, but it's very distinct from Seattle and doesn't have the "Seattle Freeze" or passive aggressive type of vibe. In fact, those people in DC love to fight and argue, while people here avoid conflict like the plague and try to figure out ways to undermine each other later.

So, how does DC have the "freeze"?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
Funny thing is I was just poking around the forums when I came across this thread:

If You Think L.A. Is Bad Try Miami.

They bash L.A., Miami, and even Houston in one swoop.
They're complaining about different stuff. How is it like this thread? I think we established (something like 10 days and 15 pages ago) that people complain about other cities, but not about this same topic. Can't say "this happens everywhere"

Relax, I'll take passive aggressive people over psychopathic drivers myself. Just trying to point out that there really is no point.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, DC can be stereotyped as being full of rude, uptight, materialisitc, boring workaholics, I don't disagree, but it's very distinct from Seattle and doesn't have the "Seattle Freeze" or passive aggressive type of vibe. In fact, those people in DC love to fight and argue, while people here avoid conflict like the plague and try to figure out ways to undermine each other later.

So, how does DC have the "freeze"?
I wanted to give you a rep point, but I already have. Darn. The bolded part is great.

C'mon, namby-pamby people, cities have a vibe and a current. DC is a big government town where people discuss politics ad nauseum and it's a revolving door based on who's in power, hence transient. I have friends who live right outside in VA and MD. It nauseates me. But, there are things that astute observers pick up on about DC...and you think (light bulb), "I think you have something." Seattle's vibe is passive-aggressive and about conflict avoidance and about reclusiveness. Look, I told rain and scirocco that, if I drove up I-5 sometime, I'd do coffee with them. They probably freaked. Too many people observe this such that this thread rages on.

It's like saying, well, the decibel level at an Italian dinner gathering is higher than at a Norwegian dinner gathering. It is. And it's like saying, the acceptable social distance between two people in Venezuela is less than that between two people in Iceland. It is. Now, is some moron out there going to say, "well that's just stereotyping and how can you say that and on and on...."? Save it, social psychologists have studied all this stuff and it's true. So many of these observations hold true for Seattle. Pretty city and area...but so hopeless on other levels.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 03-28-2008 at 12:35 AM..

Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,001,759 times
This thread is like the energizer bunny! It's even kept going though it's gone off topic... and become ridiculous. What is this accomplishing?

Old 03-27-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
This thread is like the energizer bunny! It's even kept going though it's gone off topic... and become ridiculous. What is this accomplishing?
I like that...so much so, that I'll give you a rep point! That's good!

What's it accomplishing? It's therapeutic. Since we can't be sitting in a hot tub in Marin holding hands in a circle, we'll do this instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area