Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 01:16 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times

Advertisements

Let's also keep in mind that letting the belt do the talking can get you in a lot of trouble now. I still do it now and then, but didn't for a few years. I "got" my daughter with a shoe (a flip flop) once because it was in reach. It was in the morning and when they got to daycare, the teacher found out and I got a call from CPS that afternoon. She told me it is illegal to spank your kids with anything other than your hand and she herself stopped spanking altogether when she found that out.

My thought was, ok then, I'll stop, but don't blame me when she turns into a juvenile delinquent at 15. She stole a lot (7 yrs old at the time) and that's what she got in trouble for that morning.

Anywho, I don't take my kids out if they can't act right either.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:23 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Let's also keep in mind that letting the belt do the talking can get you in a lot of trouble now. I still do it now and then, but didn't for a few years. I "got" my daughter with a shoe (a flip flop) once because it was in reach. It was in the morning and when they got to daycare, the teacher found out and I got a call from CPS that afternoon. She told me it is illegal to spank your kids with anything other than your hand and she herself stopped spanking altogether when she found that out.

My thought was, ok then, I'll stop, but don't blame me when she turns into a juvenile delinquent at 15. She stole a lot (7 yrs old at the time) and that's what she got in trouble for that morning.

Anywho, I don't take my kids out if they can't act right either.
Where is it "illegal" to discipline your own child w/ anything more than a hand? I've never heard of that. Now, I understand abuse, but believe me I'd hurt my son more with my hand then I would with a flip flop.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:28 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The new pseudo craftsmen are often built cheaply, without the ornamentation of the real thing.
Yes...it's craftsman without any "craft" involved.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:52 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Children who aren't spanked aren't doomed for a life of juvi and prison, just fyi....

I don't get why people think that just because parents don't spank, that means there is no other form of discipline???

I really think we should reserve the "parenting" and lack thereof discussion for the parenting forum.... jmo

Old 04-05-2008, 02:02 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Children who aren't spanked aren't doomed for a life of juvi and prison, just fyi....

I don't get why people think that just because parents don't spank, that means there is no other form of discipline???

I really think we should reserve the "parenting" and lack thereof discussion for the parenting forum.... jmo
I don't think they are either. But this is my problem child...with her, I can see her ending up in that kind of trouble. Time outs and the like don't get through to her. I was never spanked either and I've never been in any kind of trouble with the law.

Yes, I pointed out that this kids discussion is for the parenting forum a couple pages back, but this thread is all kinds of off topic at the moment. Types of houses also don't have anything to do with the freeze either.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Yup, this would be a good debate for the parenting forum. Feel free to start a thread there or I can transfer the last 6 or so posts over to its own forum over there. Let me know.

Let's get back to ranting and raving about how prevalent the "Seattle Freeze" seems to be.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
Sorry folks - I have been here 7 years - not 7 weeks, not 7 months. Seattle freeze is real.
My career has benefited but now I'm working hard on getting back to Phoenix. Its not the weather it is the PEOPLE here. They are cliquish bordering on weird. I am not in the suburbs -I live in Seattle proper on Capitol Hill. And I am not struggling with the cost of living - I am a home owner.
I lived in Phoenix for 16 years before coming here. And grew up living many places around the country (father was corporate exec).
There is in fact a strange social problem here - I"M GETTING OUT.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Sorry folks - I have been here 7 years - not 7 weeks, not 7 months. Seattle freeze is real.
My career has benefited but now I'm working hard on getting back to Phoenix. Its not the weather it is the PEOPLE here. They are cliquish bordering on weird. I am not in the suburbs -I live in Seattle proper on Capitol Hill. And I am not struggling with the cost of living - I am a home owner.
I lived in Phoenix for 16 years before coming here. And grew up living many places around the country (father was corporate exec).
There is in fact a strange social problem here - I"M GETTING OUT.
Those of us who have lived in many parts of the country AND seem to be extroverted as a result of this seem to notice it more.

I've lived in CA, NV, OR, WA, IL, NJ, GA and Europe. I will say that Nevada is by far the most disgusting place I've lived because of how calloused many people are. (My friend who moved to LV is finally starting to see this, after 4 years). But I will say that Puget Sound WA is the worst on the aloofness scale. For some reason, Portland is a little better, actually having met some nice Oregonians who went down to CA for school or had a good job experience there, though my work situation was better in SEA than PDX.

Weather is a non-issue, to me. It makes for good "coffee weather." Also, have you all been to Montreal where, under sometimes brutal conditions, the residents of this fascinating city live up to the motto of "Joie de Vivre?"

But, on this thread, I think that the "weight" provided by the multi-state/multi-country dwellers gives the Freeze credence.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
We're back in Eugene, OR now... after spending the past year in the Redmond, WA area... we had a hard time even getting people to smile back at us in Redmond. My husband walked to work, and for exercise I often walked with him and then back home. We would see people cross the street, pass us on the other side, and then cross back over. It was so weird! We just attributed it to them being way antisocial. We look normal... clean, average, white people, not too fat and not too skinny... just regular normal boring white people . My husband even was dressed for work in his office clothes and nice work laptop bag... it's not like we looked creepy or anything.

My husband laughs at the women in the Seattle/Redmond/Bellevue area because he says they all are scowlers. He travels a lot for his work and he says he has never seen a place so full of unhappy-looking women.

One time I was out walking and a lady was walking and she actually didn't cross the street! But... as we passed each other I said a casual "Hi" and friendly just in passing smile - which I do all the time as common courtesy and social politeness sort of thing - and she actually shot me a very rude glare and said "Do I KNOW you? I don't think so..." and she walked on... so incredibly rude.

Also my husband was leaving the grocery store and a guy walking in front of him dropped his carton of milk on the ground. The guy didn't seem to notice, so my husband picked it up and gave it to him. The guy grabbed it very rudely, didn't even say thank you or acknowledge my husband in any way, and kept walking. We couldn't believe it. What a jerk.

We experienced a lot of road rage situations there as well. I spoke with my doctor that I was seeing in Redmond, WA about the situation there, and she says the social attitudes there and the road rage and all is caused by the stressful competitive job environment (all the corporate brats mindlessly fighting their way up that stupid corporate ladder...money driven...) and all the coffee. People drink a crazy amount of coffee there. And not just coffee coffee but like extra shots and loaded up with sugar and crap. It's not good for you...

Anyway... we are glad to be out of there. It was not a place we wanted to raise our family. We had heard such great things about the Seattle area, and we figured it wouldn't be that much different than Oregon since it was only 5 hours away and still part of the Pacific Northwest... but it is very different. If we were single and had different standards of living and priorities for ourselves... it might have been a great place... but we are a family who wants to relax and enjoy each day and live comfortably. We do not want to have to deal with crowds and horrible traffic and spend all day working so that we can pay for our overpriced cheaply built condo or tiny house with no yard ... it's so crazy expensive there! No thanks!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:51 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
The life and length of this thread is proof enough that the "freeze" exists for many. I too have so many experiences with this sort of aloofness and even rudeness, sadly we start to adapt to our environment if we're in it long enough, and too become introverted, aloof, self-entitled, etc....That's when taking a trip somewhere else is such a grounding element and an eye-opener! It isn't YOU!!

I think I mentioned this before, but I was exiting the Fredy Meyer a few months ago and I said "hello" to a lady. She replied very loudly " I don't KNOW you!!" I was really floored. I see so much of this self-absorbed attitude, especially when grocery shopping that I almost dread going. People blocking food items, standing infront of shelves as if they are trying to figure out some advanced mathematical equation, and when you excuse yourself to reach for something or get around them, they IGNORE you! But, you best be sure they are all about stepping in front of you or grabbing whatever, with no thought as to an "excuse me." Just flippin crazy. I've lived in alot of places...overseas, big cities like Chicago, and I simply have not experienced this strange behavior. Washington is a beautiful state...yes. Great for my career, absolutely..That being said, the people are truly the pits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area