Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times

Advertisements

Seattle is one of the places I've considered moving to, but reading this thread has really given me pause. As a single female I would be looking for friends and reciprocity, even though I am an introvert. I do keep to myself most of the time, but would be miserable (I think) living in a place where I had to do all the reaching out with no return invitation.

To top this off, I am one of those Scandinavians (100%) from Mpls, so now I am really confused, although I did leave Mpls many years ago and would never return there. I do agree about the MN Nice thing and I've always preferred East Coast people as they don't waste your time and you know where you stand.

I moved to AZ from CA (SF) and ever since I set foot in this state I've been very unhappy (I miss water). So...now I am REALLY confused but I do appreciate the fact this thread is here.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
We moved to Seattle a couple of months ago from overseas and previously from other places in the US.

So far, I am in complete agreement with the 'freeze' article. Already on several occassions I have used the word "insular" to describe Seattle-ites. But it could be worse and if they want to believe their little corner of the world is the ultimate in blissful existance, fine with me. I'm a whole person with or without them everywhere I go.

I'll definately take their politeness. Very welcome change after years in second and third world countries. Love the politeness.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 PM

12 posts, read 30,999 times
Talking The freeze is not limited to Seattle

Some of you people need to get around a little more. I have lived in NY, Philly, Atl., and now in much hated Boston. Nobody likes anybody anywhere. People are strange!!! Stay away!!! Anyway, I am heading back to Seattle in Oct. to see ND play the Huskies. 4th trip in the past 3 years or so. Love it out there. I am also going to spend a week down in Portland. I will be moving next spring to either of those 2 places. Alot of you people don't realize what you have out there. I travel quite a bit. I meet people wherever I go. I have met alot of pritty cool people out in Seattle. It is rather simple. If someone gives you the so called freeze kind of vibe, you probably wouldn't really want to hang out with them anyway. I have been checking out these threads for quite some time, QUIT WHINING!!!!!!!! Somebody will ask a legit question, and more times than not it turns into a WHINE FEST!!!!!! Grow up and live a little!!!!!

Old 05-24-2008, 01:00 PM

12 posts, read 30,999 times
Talking Freeze not only a Seattle thing

Some of you people need to get around a little more. I have lived in NY, Philly, Atl., and now much hated Boston. Nobody likes anybody anywhere. People are strange, stay away!!!!!!!! I can walk into my building, say hello to the people sitting on the stoop, and I get no reply. Makes me laugh. Anyway, I am heading back to Seattle in Oct. to see ND play the Huskies. 4th trip out there in the past 3 years or so. Love it out there!!! I am also going to be spending a week down in Portland. I will be moving to either one of those places next spring. Alot of you people don't realize what you have out there. It's God's Country!!! Who cares about the weather. Generally it sucks everywhere, except San Diego. I travel quite a bit. I meet people wherever I go. I have met alot of cool people in Seattle. It is rather simple. If someone gives you the so-called freeze kind of vibe, you probably wouldn't want to hang out with them anyway. I have been checking out these threads for quite a while, alot of useful info, but, QUIT THE WHINING!!!!!!! Somebody will ask a legit question, and more times than not, it turns into a whinefest. To much negativity. Later!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM

186 posts, read 448,960 times
My husband and I were very excited about moving to Seattle, from Charlotte, NC, to be closer to my recently-widowed mom in Coeur d' Alene, ID. We thought Seattle would be a nice choice, easier for my husband to get a job (he's in media) than eastern WA or ID but still within a 5 hour drive of my mom for weekend trips. We want to have kids in a couple of years and would love a welcoming community. Although we have friends here in Charlotte, my husband more so since he's a native, I find the South to be very gossipy and sometimes back-stabbing. I have never encountered so much fake-friendliness since moving here although at least we have couples to do things with, like bbqs. We were hoping Seattle would be a place we could live for the next 30 years, raising kids and making friends. This whole "freeze" thread has us so worried that we aren't sure if we should even move now. But, I really would like to be closer to my mom... I can handle the gossipy nature of the South but I don't know if I could handle the coldness of my neighbors and lack of friends.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:34 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4ThePaws View Post
My husband and I were very excited about moving to Seattle, from Charlotte, NC, to be closer to my recently-widowed mom in Coeur d' Alene, ID. We thought Seattle would be a nice choice, easier for my husband to get a job (he's in media) than eastern WA or ID but still within a 5 hour drive of my mom for weekend trips. We want to have kids in a couple of years and would love a welcoming community. Although we have friends here in Charlotte, my husband more so since he's a native, I find the South to be very gossipy and sometimes back-stabbing. I have never encountered so much fake-friendliness since moving here although at least we have couples to do things with, like bbqs. We were hoping Seattle would be a place we could live for the next 30 years, raising kids and making friends. This whole "freeze" thread has us so worried that we aren't sure if we should even move now. But, I really would like to be closer to my mom... I can handle the gossipy nature of the South but I don't know if I could handle the coldness of my neighbors and lack of friends.
I don't believe in this whole "Seattle Freeze" thing, never have...never will.

As in any big city with lots of transplants and somewhat of a transient population it may take awhile to make friends...however you will eventually make friends. I believe this to be the case nearly everywhere in the country today.

IMHO,the "Seattle Freeze" exists only in the minds of those that choose to believe in it...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I don't believe in this whole "Seattle Freeze" thing, never have...never will.

As in any big city with lots of transplants and somewhat of a transient population it may take awhile to make friends...however you will eventually make friends. I believe this to be the case nearly everywhere in the country today.

IMHO,the "Seattle Freeze" exists only in the minds of those that choose to believe in it...
Right...It's all make believe.

That's why you have an overwhelming response from people who DO experience it, BOTH locals and transplants.

That's why this thread has gone on as long as it has.

*As if* the only people who experience the freeze are those who haven't "lived a little" or who have never been "anywhere else." I say those who HAVE lived and HAVE been elsewhere notice it because they have more to compare it to. Those who are "blind" to or "dont believe" the freeze are usually those who grew up here, moved here when they were younger, or came from a similar "freezish" type place.

It's okay though...those fingers in your ears while singing the 'la la la" song seems to be working well for you.....

Old 05-27-2008, 11:07 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Right...It's all make believe.

That's why you have an overwhelming response from people who DO experience it, BOTH locals and transplants.

That's why this thread has gone on as long as it has.

*As if* the only people who experience the freeze are those who haven't "lived a little" or who have never been "anywhere else." I say those who HAVE lived and HAVE been elsewhere notice it because they have more to compare it to. Those who are "blind" to or "dont believe" the freeze are usually those who grew up here, moved here when they were younger, or came from a similar "freezish" type place.

It's okay though...those fingers in your ears while singing the 'la la la" song seems to be working well for you.....
Thank you!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:25 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Seriously! The "it doesn't exist if I personally have not experienced it" attitude would be laughable if it weren't so patronizing and annoying.

Good for you if you have found a strong sense of community and camaraderie in Seattle. But don't tell the rest of us that we are delusional if we found the culture to be uniquely difficult.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,062,322 times
A response like Seattlerain's is true to Seattlite fashion... Narcissistic and insular!

"If I don't think it to be true in my little world, it must not be."

Last edited by jwb123; 05-27-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area