Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:10 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times

Advertisements

I'll point out something that hasn't been brought up... $8K would last 2 - 4 months (ish) if you were paying rent, etc... keep in mind though - out of that 8 grand, you will have to pay first, last, and deposit on whatever cheap apartment you get = bye bye much of that $8,000 in one swoop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
As far as culturally, yes Seattle is very white especially if you go on the east side around Bellevue but also quite a few Asians as well.
You do realize Seattle is "whiter" than Bellevue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I'll point out something that hasn't been brought up... $8K would last 2 - 4 months (ish) if you were paying rent, etc... keep in mind though - out of that 8 grand, you will have to pay first, last, and deposit on whatever cheap apartment you get = bye bye much of that $8,000 in one swoop.
Yea, OP would be better off renting a room.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,793 times
DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB, REPEAT: DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB!

Did I make myself clear? Let me tell you a story. Both my fiancee and I found jobs in Seattle out of college (as in, the past couple of months). Together, we make a combined total of $98,000 and plan on sharing a one bedroom on Mercer Island (yes MI is expensive, but so is most of Seattle). Now, do you have any idea how much 98k will get you in this area? If you are splitting costs between 2 people...a nice apartment, a couple of decent cars, insurance, okay money for groceries, and a little bit to save. Coming here with nothing but $8000? See ya later. Youll be on the streets in a month.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
On the flip-side to the above post, I did it in April and it all worked out perfectly. I had $30,000 in the bank, found a job in a month and a half of getting here (and a GOOD job no doubt - a contractor at Google) and had two other interviews during that time AND a part-time job offer from Target. Of course, I got the full-time job so I never started it, but I have no retail experience whatsoever and they still hired me. I don't feel I have any super special or concentrated skills, but I do work in the tech industry where jobs are fairly plentiful here - even with the competition. I honestly believe you make your own luck and if you are determined to do something, it will work out. You also have to be willing to make it work and applying for jobs you wouldn't normally apply for. Any income to compliment your savings is better than nothing. I was shocked it worked out so quickly for me. I had planned to be out of work at least six months. Anyway, $8000 might be pushing it for moving anywhere, but I'm sure many have done it for less. That would be about three months living decently. It all depends on your spending I guess, but I could live off $2000 a month (post tax of course) and be completely comfortable with money left over. As for cost of living here, it really depends on your expenditures. I moved from Houston and feel it's a wash here for a single person. Some things are more expensive, some things are less expensive. I haven't noticed any significant increase in my expenditures. I also find it hard to believe that $98,000 a year for two people is 'difficult' to live off of comfortably unless you maybe have some kids...

Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
hmmm...some quick math.

income
$98k/year
~$8k/month
~$5k/month after taxes

expenses (/month)
$2k rent
$1k 2 car payments + 2 car insurance payments
$1k gas for your cars, utilities, groceries
$500 eating out sometimes, lunch, etc.
$500 savings / emergency (car breaks down, get sick, break your arm, friend gets married and you have to get a tux, etc.)

seems like it's not living in luxury...

RVD.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:52 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post

expenses (/month)
$2k rent
$1k 2 car payments + 2 car insurance payments
$1k gas for your cars, utilities, groceries
$500 eating out sometimes, lunch, etc.
$500 savings / emergency (car breaks down, get sick, break your arm, friend gets married and you have to get a tux, etc.)

seems like it's not living in luxury...

RVD.
No one is required to spend $2K/mo on rent.

No one is required to have $1K in car payments.

No one is required to spend anything close to those amounts on the other things.

We make about that, and spend nowhere near that on rent. Our jobs require a lot of driving (up to 200 miles/day combined), and we spend $1K/mo on gas on a very bad month.

We have three kids. We have tons of disposable (or debt-reducing) income.

I'll again mention, we moved to a major city with only $6K to our name....

Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM

153 posts, read 416,675 times
Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it.

As far as my monthly expenses they're about $1300 a month. But I got a good deal with rent and have a studio that's 750 with all utilities included. I don't pay for wireless because I steal it from the restaurant downstairs. And I don't have tv lol. I'm pretty frugal I'd say... And I plan to get rid of my car which would give me more money and lessen my expenses by quite a bit.

But anyways I am going to just wait it out and transfer. I tried twice moving to Boston this past summer without a job lined up and no apartment and all hell broke loose. My old friend decided she didn't want me in her place for more than a few days, the competition even to find a craigslist roommate was fierce, and while I was able to get interviews it would take a long time for them to make a decision. So I just got run out of the city basically.

I'm going to just apply for jobs over there saying I'm relocating in March of next year and line up interviews then apply for a transfer and take my vacation time to go on interviews over there. My "team member handbook" says you can get an interview for a transfer but the position isn't guaranteed. But one of my coworkers transferred with just a phone interview so I don't know. And I have alot of knowledge and experience that the average employee wouldn't have an definitely not an outsider so I think I'd fair well as a job candidate.

I know it's overcast alot in Seattle but I figure that it's between Portland and Vancouver so I could always drive away. But then I need a car I still have some things to figure out lol But I do know that the Pacific Northwest is my ideal location.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
So...do you think if you drive to Portland or Vancouver it will be more sunny? You're probably going to want to drive to Eastern Washington for sun or take a quick flight to CA.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:06 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHA188 View Post
I know it's overcast alot in Seattle but I figure that it's between Portland and Vancouver so I could always drive away. But then I need a car I still have some things to figure out lol But I do know that the Pacific Northwest is my ideal location.
Yea... Like Seacove, if you're looking for a break from the clouds, you go to Eastern Wa or Cali. But otherwise, it's pretty much the same climate pattern with little variations (which would be more noticeable to someone from here, someone living in this region a long time, but not to an outsider).

Besides, you do *NOT* need a car to go to BC or PDX... take the train.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:29 AM

101 posts, read 201,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
You do realize Seattle is "whiter" than Bellevue?

Yea, OP would be better off renting a room.
racist IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area