U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,941,012 times

Advertisements

I mentioned in a previous thread (buried around here somewhere) that I had an interest in finding an apartment in ID. Another poster mentioned sketchiness in some areas, but didn't elaborate.

What do you guys know about this neighborhood?

As an aside, if you wouldn't recommend living there, what other neighborhoods would you suggest?

I did like Capitol Hill, Wallingford, Ballard, Eastlake, and Magnolia when I visited - but Capitol Hill and especially Wallingford are a little bit out of my price point for what I'm looking for.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 10:44 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,451,646 times
Some people live in the newer apartments above the Uwajimaya store, and maybe the International District is getting better, but parts of it at night are as scary rough as any neighborhood in Seattle. At best, you'll encounter homeless, panhandlers, and drunks. At worst, muggers, pickpockets, heroin addicts. I wouldn't live there, unless it's become a lot nicer in the last 5-10 years.
Affordable neighborhoods not too far from downtown? Maybe North Beacon Hill, close to the light rail station.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,902 posts, read 65,351,220 times
The main reason the rent is lower (in any area) is that people are not anxious to live there.
If a place has low rent and low crime the rents will go up as demand increases. You have to balance the rent with the crime and compromise, moving to the best area you can afford
and then watch your back. Sometimes it's best to get a roomate and share to get into a better area.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:56 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,534,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzled View Post
I mentioned in a previous thread (buried around here somewhere) that I had an interest in finding an apartment in ID. Another poster mentioned sketchiness in some areas, but didn't elaborate.

What do you guys know about this neighborhood?

As an aside, if you wouldn't recommend living there, what other neighborhoods would you suggest?

I did like Capitol Hill, Wallingford, Ballard, Eastlake, and Magnolia when I visited - but Capitol Hill and especially Wallingford are a little bit out of my price point for what I'm looking for.
So the ID ...

Awesome eastern and southeastern Asian food. Tons of character and history too (used to be Chinatown, then Japantown, then after WWII it became the ID). And an outlet for Asian goods ranging from the cheap (think eastern end of it and the markets there) to the modern (Uwajimaya). And you'll never be lacking for sporting options if you live there. There's even a new BMW dealership there in case ... you know, you're balling suddenly. It's also within walking distance of other awesome bars, restaurants, and stuff near Yesler, the older part of the city.

That's the good stuff. The bad is it is close to the Yesler terrace and King St. stations, which are known for being gathering points for drug users and dealers, transients, thugs, and whatnot. South of Uwajimaya is especially known for transients as well. The highways nearby also mean you'll likely hear traffic most hours of the night and during the early morning you may experience the smells too, depending on where you live. There's also very late night / early morning crowds of people going there for late night munchies after the bars and clubs close. I remember going there at 3 AM with buddies of mine too drunk to drive so they could recover a few times. And of course that means sometimes things get out of hand ... saw a kid get stabbed before a few years ago, arguing over some girl.

I agree the new apartments to the northeast of uwajimaya are nice. If I were to live in the ID, I'd live near there, near the pea patch.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,192,649 times
Other neighborhoods you may want to consider are Lower Queen Anne or SLU/Cascadia.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,111,643 times
compared to other cities chinatowns (boston, nyc, philly, la, san fran) its really boring with very few people walking around. sometimes there are more homeless on the street than people walking on the street.they recently got a upzone from the city so they can build higher, if there are more apartments then there are more people, thus more vibrancy. in the next 10 years, as the first hill streetcar comes, new buildings come, it might be a different place. its location is at a light rail station, close to ferrys, sounder, the 2 and possibly 3 stadiums if a nba team comes by, and major bus routes/I5/I90 access. its a great loaction and a hub, but as of the last 20 years it has struggled with a bad rep..

I am an american born Chinese, and i have lived there for 3 years. yes, there are drug addicts, and homeless all over. most of them sleep under the I-5 bridge on king and dearborn. If i was them I would of done the same thing, at least a roof is over their head. when I lived there for the first year, my car was broken into about 6 times. what pissed me off was the cost to replace the window. I just left my car unlocked from then on, put a club on the steering wheel and that did the trick.

but....... things change, just like south lake union. before it was not that great, but all of a sudden buildings started to go up, the streetcar came, and a shoebox studio there cost 1600 a month. also, all the homeless has left, I know so because i have worked in a few buildings there as a security guard, and the supervisor told me that with the guards in most buildings shooing away the homeless and drug addicts, it has became a great area. it is still building and planning as of right now.

I can see the ID getting gentrified, some people oppose to it, but after all, Seattle is still a city. if one feels that its too costly or too much people, they can always move a little further away. with more apartments in the ID/south downtown, it does help with the urban sprawl and real estate prices for the whole Seattle area. Seattle is getting to a point where a average income family has to live in auburn/covington to afford a decent house for a family, with a 2 hour commute each way of course .

Old 11-18-2012, 09:24 AM

872 posts, read 1,874,475 times
To comment on the above post about Seattle being too expensive...I don't really agree, here is why:

I did an interview for a company in Palo Alto, CA last summer and the cheapest apartment complex I could find was $3000 for a STUDIO.

A quick search for Seattle city apartments wields 10-15 results for studios under $800. Take that search and look in Federal Way, Issaquah, Monroe, Maryville, etc. and you will find numerous nice places to live for that same range. This is definitely much cheaper than California, New York, Chicago area, etc.

As far as the homeless people go, most of them aren't from here, they just travel to here because our city leaders treat them like poor harmless puppies that just need food and love...in some cases, that is true...in others...these people are extremely mentally ill and do not need to be running around the streets. Talking to some of them, you will figure out very quickly the ones who are down on their luck and the ones who escaped a mental ward.

A lot of them do more than just ask for money...they will harass you, yell at you, threaten you or your family. Grab you. It is really ridiculous, but you can't do anything to defend yourself in Seattle or it is a crime.

Any way, back on topic. There are plenty of decent priced (800.month studio) in North Seattle and in the area. If you want the space of a one bedroom, yeah, it will be around a $1000. Though, if you work 40 hours a week at WA state minimum wage (9.00) you should be able to afford at least a studio and have 300-400 left to pay bills. No need to live on the streets.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
I think the issue here is...the OP asked about apartments in Seattle and you started debating me about buying a house in Seattle. The comment I made about apartments being very affordable is true, but the comment you made about homes being very expensive in the city is also true (also true for every city in the country, except Detroit).

I have answered the OP's question since i have lived in the ID. and the future of the ID. and an example of SLU that got to where it is now. and added about the costs of living here and the urban sprawl. all are true.

SLU just got a upzone i think, so did south downtown (including the ID) in 2011. south downtown has been dead and has a bad rep for years. i do hope it cleans up. from my car getting broken into to getting harassed many times for money, and hearing someone got shot in 2007 a block away from me, I hope it cleans up and i like how the first hill streetcar is going to be there.

some folks like the city, some folks like a backyard. we all can choose. just got to have the finances to do and and not struggle.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 PM

872 posts, read 1,874,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
some folks like the city, some folks like a backyard. we all can choose. just got to have the finances to do and and not struggle.
Yeah, that is true. People have to make the decisions to make life a little easier on themselves sometimes, though.

No doubt SODO, ID, and the southern towns have a bad rep. They are older neighborhoods with a lot of deteriorating homes/buildings that people don't seem to want to fix up.

The city has a lot of cleaning up to do before people decide to move back there.

In my personal opinion...I would rather live in a small one bedroom/studio, than a large one bedroom in a bad area.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post

But, I don't really want to live in the city, personally. I am waiting on those new links to be built from Bellevue to downtown. That should help I-90/I-5 traffic a bunch.

the main issue with the link is that stations should get an upzone. the beacon hill station is still empty on the outside, and developers want to build higher so it financially makes sense, but they can only go 4 stories high.

many cities that i have lived in, i see in rail stations, they have density and tall buildings. this really helps some folks who work in downtown, wants to live in a apartment for a little cheaper and just take the rail to work. building taller buildings in the city helps the trend of new homes being build on former forests and former homes with big lots right? people have to live somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area