Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,983 times

Advertisements

Hi there-

My husband just accepted a job in Monroe beg in Dec. We currently live in the midwest but are originally from the northeast. We have 3 kids - two in HS. Although it may take a while to sell our house and his commuting long term may be an option, we are wondering are few things:

What would be some good places/towns/areas to look for a temp apt for him to live in? Also we are planning on visiting and doing lots of sightseeing to get to know the entire area.

What would be some good towns to visit with good high schools in case a move comes sooner than later? We have read a lot about the Seattle Freeze, elite attitudes etc and wondered if there are some areas easier to assimilate into than others.

Is the commute from Seattle to Monroe terrible? We were toying with the idea of renting my husband a studio/one bedroom in downtown area to temporarily to enjoy urban living and have fun in Seattle while we handle all the relo stuff.

Thanks so much for any info or insight you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
For the most part that would be a reverse commute, he would run into some commuters from Seattle to Boeing Everett on the first part of the drive. With no traffic at all that would be about 45 minutes, at commute times over an hour. You can get there by bus but the times are limited and it takes even longer. The worst part of living in a Seattle apartment is that many have no parking or require you to pay extra for it. I would suggest Woodinville for good schools and short commute when you are all up.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
The commute from Seattle to Monroe would probably not be very enjoyable for your husband even as a temporary "just for fun" living situation. If you doubt that, have him stay in a hotel in Seattle and commute to Monroe one day to see. Woodinville would be good and for less expensive places you could look at Snohomish, Duvall, Mill Creek and Bothell. For a place for him to stay while you are managing the relocation, how about Kirkland? It would still increase his commute but it's a nice area and he would only have to cross the 520 floating bridge to get into Seattle and enjoy the fun there.

In fact, Carillon Point is in Kirkland and that is one of the launch locations for the Christmas Boat Parade in December. If you and your family are in Seattle during December, you should definitely plan on going one evening. Honestly, the food on the ship is not that great IMHO. I would plan a nice dinner, then board the ship (other lighted boats follow and there's a Christmas choir with bonfires on shore locations). There are assorted drinks served on the ship as well. Very nice and very Seattle.

2012 Seattle Christmas Ship Festival Schedule : Argosy Cruises Christmas Ship

Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisee5 View Post
Hi there-

My husband just accepted a job in Monroe beg in Dec. We currently live in the midwest but are originally from the northeast. We have 3 kids - two in HS. Although it may take a while to sell our house and his commuting long term may be an option, we are wondering are few things:

What would be some good places/towns/areas to look for a temp apt for him to live in? Also we are planning on visiting and doing lots of sightseeing to get to know the entire area.

What would be some good towns to visit with good high schools in case a move comes sooner than later?
Definitely Snohomish and Woodinville/Bothell; it's close enough to work and Seattle, while providing good high schools. But really, how much time does your husband want to commute? That would give us a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisee5 View Post
Is the commute from Seattle to Monroe terrible? We were toying with the idea of renting my husband a studio/one bedroom in downtown area to temporarily to enjoy urban living and have fun in Seattle while we handle all the relo stuff.
I think its terrible and it's not really something I would be willing to do. Assuming your husband works regular hours, the only segment that he's not going to experience traffic would be on 522 just past the Woodinville-Duvall Road to Monroe. 405 is basically bumper to bumper during rush. If you're using 522 all the way, I would say that's a bit more bearable as it's moving more. I am assuming Hemlock is thinking of going north on i5 then heading east on 2 would be easier, but I don't think it is though.

But I think it's a good idea that your husband stays at a temporary area in DT to check out Seattle and the rest of the area and gauge in his real time how much traffic he's willing to commute.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:37 PM

Thank you all so much for the insights so far. I will spend some time investigate all those areas on the net. You have all been very helpful!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:41 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
When/if you all do move out here, Woodinville would be a good place for you. Good schools, cute town, reverse and short commute to Monroe for your husband.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM

Seacove -

Watched the Christmas Ship video - planning on going on it Fri/Sat night when my 16 year old and I come out to visit my husband - he starts work Dec 3 and will spend the first weekend out here so two of us are coming to visit. Your info and suggestions have been great - happy to do something so "seattle!" We will also drive all over getting a sense of the overall area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area