Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its expected to climb to 11 billion by 2100 and then start to shrink...
I seriously doubt this. You have to take into consideration 21st century democide in places like China. 20th century democide in China, Turkey, Russia and Germany (among many others) were not included in the UN's population growth report and neither were war casualties. However, the report still claims we've already hit 7 billion even though the report was debunked several times over. Lastly, with the increase in depopulation programs much like the ones sponsored by the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation and Rothschild Fund, population becomes even less likely to rise at the rate that's constantly being falsely reported.

I'll try to find the UN report as well as the debunking and post it here tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I seriously doubt this. You have to take into consideration 21st century democide in places like China. 20th century democide in China, Turkey, Russia and Germany (among many others) were not included in the UN's population growth report and neither were war casualties. However, the report still claims we've already hit 7 billion even though the report was debunked several times over. Lastly, with the increase in depopulation programs much like the ones sponsored by the Gates Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation and Rothschild Fund, population becomes even less likely to rise at the rate that's constantly being falsely reported.

I'll try to find the UN report as well as the debunking and post it here tomorrow.
The UN isn't the only source , several other agencies do projections all countries are factored in... China will slip below India by 2020 , the US will continue towards 440 Million by 2050.... Russia , Japan and half of Europe will lose 30-50 million by 2050.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Here is another source for Seattle growth trends in 2050 and it doesn't suggest 8-10M. More like 3-6M (slide 18).

Demographics In America In 2050 - Business Insider

There is some other data in there but it lists 11 merging megaregions. Seattle is one of them but it does not appear to be the largest, thankfully. I would like to see high speed rail from the Pacific Northwest connecting to Northern CA since our economies are so linked but I wouldn't count on it.

Here are moving migration patterns from Atlas (so just one company). If you click on a state it will give you the past ten years. Moving Migration Patterns | Atlas Van Lines

Old 01-03-2013, 09:09 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
I believe growth in Western Washington will continue to be strong, but those numbers do seem high.

There are some variables in play, however. If California continues to decline, growth rates in W. WA could increase, but so would W. Oregon and Idaho.

A major earthquake could slow everything down, but the area would certainly rebuild and that in itself could provide growth.

It is obvious technology is the new growth engine, and Western Washington is poised to take advantage of that.

I predict a metro population (Everett/Seattle/Tacoma) of about 5.5 million by 2050. Throw in Thurston and Kitsap Co. and you probably have 6.5 million.

Also, agreed, many areas would have to be more dense. Seattle and Bellevue are on a path toward this, but other W.WA cities may protest this kind of plan, with the exception of Tacoma, which will take whatever it can get. In the end, I would like to see more density (from north to south) in Lynnwood, Redmond, Renton, Kent, Auburn, Tacoma, and Olympia/Lacey. It is my understanding that Lynnwood already has a plan for increased density, so that may just be a matter of time.

I would envision a metro of several (or more) mid to high rise areas by 2050. All of the above areas would be good candidates. Of course, a good transportation system (both roads and mass transit) would be needed for this to come to fruition.

Last edited by pw72; 01-03-2013 at 10:13 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 AM

31 posts, read 55,273 times
I'm very satisfied with the answers on here guys and I appreciate it. I agree that 8-10 million is probably a little high for this region though it appears most people think that it will grow and probably a more sane level would be 6-7 million or something, though as others have stated it's hard to predict what will happen in 37 years.

To the person I "GTAIV or whatever", no offense this sounds like silly conspiracy talk. Having been to China and the orient I can tell you they have one child policies because overpopulation IS A PROBLEM THERE!!

I'm not saying this is the right way to handle this problem, but they have this policy because there is indeed an obvious in your face problem and not because they don't have anything else better to do. Despite that policy the population has still grown in China, and there and countries like India that don't have these policies which are outgrowing even China.

As others have stated here, there are numerous reports that show we are at 7 billion and you can't really hide that fact these days for many reasons because independent scientists etc. can use complicated mark re-capture methods to estimate populations. What evidence do you have that this is all just one big lie that most scientists think we are at about 7 billion?

This sounds like we're drifting into silly conspiracy talk with it's core basing itself around online popular mass conspiracies relating to the "new world order" or something, where the evil new world order agents like Bill Gates want to kill 90% of us which will never happen; that's at least the feeling I got reading that. I could swear Alex Jones was going to pop over to the side of my screen or something as I was reading that. I hope this doesn't turn into conspiracy stuff as I'd like to focus on the topic I talked about which is the Seattle/Puget sound/Cascadia megalopolis area.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 PM

299 posts, read 666,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerProgrammer View Post
So this is a discussion I've had here in other forums that were outdated but I've never really asked this on here as a whole. Right now the greater Seattle around has around 3.5 million people so sure there's millions of people around that Puget sound area already BUT...I do think something very large this way it shall come in the very near future.

I'll try to find the articles but the Seattle times predict that just the city maybe have like 1.6 million people in the very near future double what it is now.

So here's my prediction and I'll explain why below.

I predict that the greater Seattle/Puget sound area will have between 8-10 million people by or before 2050 i.e. it will look a lot like Chicago does now, and instead of being the 15th largest metro area in the U.S. as it is currently it will be in the top 10 at least. Why do I predict this?

A. They have a decent economy with technology backing them...their unemployment compared to many large cities is low.

B. They have decent public transit from a good bus system, monorail, ferries etc.

C. They are very stable (generally) geologically in terms of not having hurricanes, tornados earth quakes, wild fires etc. and they rarely get snow!!

D. They have a ton of room to grow still.. Need I say more? There's still a ton of room just around the Puget bay.

E. Fresh water....fresh water is going to become more and more of a problem as time goes on and even in the near future. Just look at southern California. It's becoming an issue and Seattle is an abundance of fresh water and rain.
Seattle area will continue to grow but I hardly doubt it will be 8-10 million by 2050- and I hope it doesn't get that big. You're spot on with everything you stated about Seattle- good economy, heavy high-tech industry, water problem is virtually non-existent, great transit system, et al, but part D is off a little. I think Seattle will keep growing at a moderate-steady pace but taking into consideration the limited land area available for building on, that alone is prohibitive for substantial growth.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:42 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Here is another source for Seattle growth trends in 2050 and it doesn't suggest 8-10M. More like 3-6M (slide 18).

Demographics In America In 2050 - Business Insider

There is some other data in there but it lists 11 merging megaregions. Seattle is one of them but it does not appear to be the largest, thankfully. I would like to see high speed rail from the Pacific Northwest connecting to Northern CA since our economies are so linked but I wouldn't count on it.
Great link, Seacove. I like the map of the megaregions. I can definitely feel the Seattle-Vancouver BC one emerging when I drive the I-5 corridor to Canada. There are very few breaks that are not urban or suburban between the 2 cities. Places like the Seattle Outlet Mall at Tulalip are very BC targeted, with announcements in Cantonese, and many stores at Alderwood Mall accept Canadian currency. I would even argue that Downtown Bellevue is taking on a Vancouver BC look, with all its tall highrises.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:36 PM

31 posts, read 55,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_fuerza View Post
Great link, Seacove. I like the map of the megaregions. I can definitely feel the Seattle-Vancouver BC one emerging when I drive the I-5 corridor to Canada. There are very few breaks that are not urban or suburban between the 2 cities. Places like the Seattle Outlet Mall at Tulalip are very BC targeted, with announcements in Cantonese, and many stores at Alderwood Mall accept Canadian currency. I would even argue that Downtown Bellevue is taking on a Vancouver BC look, with all its tall highrises.

I'm noticing that too sadly it appears that there are less and less gaps between that I-5 corridor between Seattle and Portland. The Cascadia megalopolis is becoming more of a reality everyday and I think that that area is poised to grow a lot more. That said it's nothing of course compared to the Northeast megalopolis but it's like it wants to become one. By 2050 it might be a big mess who knows?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:21 PM

85 posts, read 179,812 times
Already, the area feels a lot like Japan at times -- like there are too many people crowded into too small a geographical footprint. I'm not sure what triple that number would be like, but I hope nobody has to find out.

I do agree with Seacove's assertion that a high speed rail connection to northern California would make a lot of sense. Unfortunately, I doubt that's in the cards in the next century. Already, California has been forced to scale back their plans, and it will be decades before the planned initial phase of the route will be linked via a dedicated line to L.A. I can't imagine what it would take to get taxpayers to foot the bill for a Siskiyou connection (though gliding smoothly while whipping through the area around Mt. Shasta certainly sounds like a delight).

Last edited by ShastatoBaker; 01-05-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 05:39 AM

376 posts, read 652,897 times
I think 8-10 Million is a little higher than I would expect. So much depends on the economy and whether the tech economy and Boeing can grow significantly more jobs. Because of the lay of the puget sound and mountains to the east as well as Lake Washington, it's difficult and costly to develop neighborhoods and Seattle doesn't have the infrastructure to handle a sizable traffic increase.

If you count Snohomish down to Thurston, I think someone said that would be 4.6 Million...my guess is about 50% growth to about 7 Million so pretty clsoe to that lower number in your projection...jmo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area