Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 14,923 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I love reading here. My husband I have learned so much about the Seattle area from you folks!

We are moving to Seattle to be near a church in South Everett. We have been trying to find out what areas still have lots available to build on. We have read wonderful things here about Edmonds, we have researched Bothell & Mill Creek. It's hard when you have to move across the country from North Carolina and you have never seen the areas you hear about. Your opinions are greatly valued!

We are hoping for a pretty, safe, clean area that is not too far away from good doctors (health problems). I've heard all the good docs and hospitals are in Seattle proper and Bellevue -- which is WAY out of our price range -- which is around $550k including the lot.

Mill Creek is only 10 minutes from church. Is Edmonds too built up and expensive?

Anyone know the cost of about a half an acre lot?

Thank you so much!
Wenz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
Land is premium here because there's only so much. If 550K is WAY out of your price range, I don't really know what the point would be to look for a lot then to build a house because it will come out way more than that.

Your best bet for "affordable" lots would be in Snohomish, Everett, Woodinville. Snohomish and Woodinville, its "cheap" for a reason and I'm willing to bet it'll be in the flood plains. Everett usually isn't desirable so that may help you-- but at the same time you need to look at the area.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenz View Post
Hello,

I love reading here. My husband I have learned so much about the Seattle area from you folks!

We are moving to Seattle to be near a church in South Everett. We have been trying to find out what areas still have lots available to build on. We have read wonderful things here about Edmonds, we have researched Bothell & Mill Creek. It's hard when you have to move across the country from North Carolina and you have never seen the areas you hear about. Your opinions are greatly valued!

We are hoping for a pretty, safe, clean area that is not too far away from good doctors (health problems). I've heard all the good docs and hospitals are in Seattle proper and Bellevue -- which is WAY out of our price range -- which is around $550k including the lot.

Mill Creek is only 10 minutes from church. Is Edmonds too built up and expensive?

Anyone know the cost of about a half an acre lot?

Thank you so much!
Wenz
The best way to find a lot is consult with a realestate agent. But, I will warn you, desirable lots of any kind are almost impossible to find. Developers are desperately looking for them. They need lots just to stay in business. Most lots that are buildable will cost you more then $100,000, and the closer to Seattle, maybe $500,000. Forget oceanfront or view lots. What some outsiders are doing, if they have money, is buying a city lot that has an old rundown house on it, demolish the house and put up a new house. Some of that is happening on Capital Hill. In the 'burbs, where the lots are large, sometimes you can get an 'L' shaped lot; which is when an owner splits his property into two parts, selling off the back part of his lot and putting in an access lane. Or, if somebody has a large enough lot, split the lot in half and puts up 'skinny-houses', that has been going on as well. Good luck!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 AM

Well we are not thinking waterview (eeek!) but we are hoping to get some average lot prices in the Bothell, Mill Creek, Mount Lake Terrace area.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Minimum sized lots (5,000) zoned for homes with utilities in will be $150,000 and up. Without any utilities there are a few at about $50,000. Utilities and cost another $50,000 to put in. Mountlake Terrace has very few and are higher priced than the other two cities. You can search Realtor.com Advanced and look for land only. With construction costs here being so high, figure $180/sf for the house, or about $270,000 for a little 1,500 sf house. If allowed, you can get a manufactured home for about $100,000 that size but none in those areas so add quite a bit for transport, as much as $50,000 with setup on your completed foundation which will run another $50,000.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
A little further out you can find large lots for less money, places like Duvall and Carnation, and sometimes in Newcastle and parts of Issaquah.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 PM

Thank you so much for the replies!!

We were hoping to find a subdivision/neighborhood type situation where one could buy a lot.

Did someone say that you could pay 150k for a lot with utilities? What about underground utilities? Do you know about what size a lot would be in Bothell (if we paid 150k?)

Blessings,
Wenz

Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Not sure about Bothell but have you checked Snohomish?

Here is a link to redfin with "land" for sale checked. You can edit the search
http://www.redfin.com/homes-for-sale...e=6&uipt=5&v=8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area