Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM

8 posts, read 20,462 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I just moved to Seattle this month and I could use some advice on the local grocery stores here. I like to buy organic and natural foods, but it gets expensive and I don't have a lot of money to work with. I can't afford Whole Foods, I like PCC but it is pricey too and not close, Trader Joes would be best but none of those three are nearby anyway unfortunately. The closest grocery stores to me are QFC, Fred Meyer, Safeway and Albertsons. Out of these, which store(s) gives you the best bang for your buck in your opinion, in general and/or with natural foods? Do any have a nice rewards program or something else that gives you sizable discounts? Thanks

Last edited by iamsuzy; 11-29-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 11:45 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,234 times
For me safeway was far and away more expensive than QFC every time but I guess that depends on the type of stuff we bought. You can get some decent deals on frozens from QFC if you're into that sort of thing. You can also enroll on their website and link coupons to your QFC card.

I do think Joe's is the best option though.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
We could use another TJ's up north of 100th or so - I'm assuming that's where you're at if you have an albertsons and fred meyer.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,335,740 times
Of the stores mentioned, Fred Meyer has the best value for groceries, and a decent nutrition/natural foods section, depending on the store. Keep your eyes open for Grocery Outlet as well.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Of the stores mentioned, Fred Meyer has the best value for groceries, and a decent nutrition/natural foods section, depending on the store. Keep your eyes open for Grocery Outlet as well.
It's funny, the first time I came up to the PNW, we stopped at a drive-through in Medford, OR. I asked the cashier if she knew where a Starbucks was, and she responded, "I think Fred Meyer has one." I thought to myself, Who is this guy, and why does he have a Starbucks at his house? It's such a small town that it didn't seem that far-fetched.

Fred Meyer is great, though, and I like the Ballard location best. Lots of vegan options, too. My addled husband continues to refer to it as Fred Willard for some reason.

I really wish there was a Trader Joe's around Northgate. I'm surprised there isn't.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:30 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,867,492 times
I don't know where you are OP, but I like Winco the best. The produce is a bit questionable... but everything else, the prices can't be beat.

Freddie's is great... make sure to use your Rewards card and take advantage of the coupons and sale. One time I got super lucky, I won the Reward card "lottery" and they paid 93 dollars for my shopping... Needless to say, I was super-thrilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I really wish there was a Trader Joe's around Northgate. I'm surprised there isn't.
U District already has Trader Joe's, so why would they need another one in that general area?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post

U District already has Trader Joe's, so why would they need another one in that general area?
I didn't realize it was supposed to serve such a large area. I'm used to seeing Trader Joe's every few miles or so, and that area up there seems to have everything else, so I'm just surprised there isn't a TJ's. Plus, the parking around U-district is kinda tough.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
45th and Roosevelt is a heavily congested area. Lake City/Northgate could use one. Heck, even Lynnwood has one!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Fred Meyer is great, though, and I like the Ballard location best. Lots of vegan options, too. My addled husband continues to refer to it as Fred Willard for some reason..
What about Fred Ward?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
What about Fred Ward?
Love him! I'll make the suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area