Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times

Advertisements

I know the grunge rock movement is pretty ancient by now, but do the kinds of clubs where it incubated still exist in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 12:41 AM

366 posts, read 595,837 times
Comet Tavern is still around and grungy as ever. The Crocodile was a legendary grunge venue in its first incarnation. I haven't been there since it reopened but it sounds like it's still one of the better venues in the city.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:37 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
So maybe some other band will come along and break out. I wonder where Prince did his first performing (I know it wasn't Seattle)

Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 PM

323 posts, read 448,669 times
Default Grunge Venues

Yeah, the Croc is going strong in its remodeled form after shutting down for a couple years '07-'08. In its old form it was owned by the wife of Peter Buck of REM. Scenes from Singles and Georgia were filmed there.

Most all the other bars that hosted grunge are gone except for Moe's (now Neumos) and the Off Ramp (now El Corazon), that I can think of. Some of those tha closed are the Weathered Wall on 5th, OK Hotel on Alaskan Way, RKCNDY (demolished), Colourbox in Pioneer Square, Fabulous Rainbow on 45th, etc.

Sadly, one of the best examples of loud clubs like those just closed for a condo project, The Funhouse, a gritty noisey punk joint by the Needle. Open now are the Central Saloon, Studio Seven and 2 Bit Saloon that all book hard rock and metal. And yes, the Comet and Chop Suey on Capital Hill are good examples.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 PM

701 posts, read 2,029,942 times
^Funhouse closed? That's horrible. That place was punk rocking and divey as all get out. I remember when their clown prop on the roof went missing and then they got a new one (which didn't look as cool). I moved away from Seattle a year ago. I miss it sometimes.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 AM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times
Sadly, it did Beat02! (And I couldn't make it to the final show there )

The people that ran it are currently looking for a new spot to try and re-open it at, but the search continues. It's sad seeing great, fun, and divey rock clubs getting shut down/torn down for condo development..

I kind of wonder about the fate of Studio 7 with the new basketball arena development planned in the SODO area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area