Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,027,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
This is just a joke, right? When i say "brown" I mean...there is zero vegetation in Denver almost...no trees, lots of smog and is very stinky. Its like living in a desert (Eastern Washington).
Yes, joking. I had to think for a moment what you meant given the demographics between the two cities. Eventually I figured it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,252,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Food ($100)
=
$100 a month for food? That's only $3.33/ day. Not possible. I'd multiply that figure by at least 4x.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM

85 posts, read 179,216 times
It's brown immediately east of the Rockies (which, of course, is where Denver proper is located). However, once you get into the mountains themselves it is spectacular. One of the advantages that Denver's 'brown' has is the sweeping vistas. Yes, there are places all around Puget Sound with spectacular mountain views, but I wouldn't call them a rule of thumb. IE, the Seattle area is so green; so lush, that a lot of the time you can't see the mountains (even on clear days) because of the trees. And, on rainy days, you typically can't see them at all. In Denver, the lack of trees opens up a lot of views -- you can see for miles and miles around, which you may either enjoy, or not care for.

Now, having said that, Denver feels a lot more isolated than Seattle. The lack of water couples with the fact that there is no appreciable large city for hundreds of miles into making it feel almost like an island. Then again, Seattle may feel this way to you too, coming from NYC. Although Vancouver, BC and Portland, OR are close to Seattle, they don't really feel accessible or like they are part of a shared megalopolis in the same way Boston and Philly do to NYC.

I guess I'd say visit both places for 4-5 days, rent a car, and drive around a lot. Plan a trip that takes you not only to the fantastic sights of both regions, but also the pedestrian and day-to-day. Judge them not only on their qualities, but their faults. And if you come to Seattle during the summer, please remember: it's not that sunny during the winter.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:29 AM

13,825 posts, read 29,828,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post

CUIDADO: I'm counted in this total.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:11 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,125,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kania View Post
Single girl moving from the NYC region and I can't decide on Seattle or Denver. I don't mind the rain and I don't care much about the sun but I love to be active and spend time outdoors. I will be moving without a job and looking once I get there so being able to find a job easily is a big factor. Also, I am originally from Europe so I love meeting international people and I will be traveling a lot all over the West coast. Overall I am into a healthy lifestyle, with some spirituality on the side (yoga, meditation, inner peace) and I would love to get into a city with that type of vibe. Feeling good inside is way more important to me than rain or sun, etc. Any opinions and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you!
First of all, make very, very and even more sure that you don't mind the rain, because that's all we get.
If you like to be active and spend time in the outdoors, you will be disappointed. The constint cold freezing rain, will keep you indoors and the darkness, fog and clouds will prevent you from seeing any of the outdoors. If you love to be active, the only action you will get will be stumbling around triiping over everything in the darkness. As for jobs, forget about it, jobs are hard to find everywhere, due to the present economic climate from our current president. If you want a chance to meet international people, you will have that opportunity, I don't know what good it will do you unless you can speak Spanish, Chinese, Japanese or some mideastern language from Iran or Afganistan. But they are most apt to be curled up in their dwellings trying to get warm and escaping from the cold wet rain. If you are into yoga, meditation and 'inner peace', I guess that's all you got going for you because that's all we do. This is our escape from the real world outside. Just make sure your not suicidal because the first thing that will hit you will be deep, deep depression. If you have no job, your destination will be sleeping under freeway overpasses and doorways, if you can find a spot that's not already occupied because thousands and thousands of other people are already there. Good Luck:thi nk:

Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 AM

82 posts, read 142,759 times
I'd take what Vinylly says with a grain of salt, he seems like a grumpy old coot who was born in the wrong place and never got the gumption to leave.

I used to live in Denver, now Seattle. Both are great cities, really the best out there if you like natural beauty and need a tolerable culture and decent economy around. There is no question you are doing a little bit of a trade-off when picking one of the places. Denver has better weather and more "high country" while Seattle is much prettier (with better skiing and hiking) but also very cloudy.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 AM

24 posts, read 41,445 times
Im from the NYC area originally and lived in CO for 17yrs and then was more or less forced to move to Seattle. It is great in the summer and terrible in the winter. The first time you experience the tunnel of gray, you may experience claustrophobic feelings and depression--I have revised the description to RAGING DEPRESSION!!! There may be nothing wrong, but you can still have those feelings, and everyone around you is feeling it. No one is USED TO IT it seems. When the winter comes, people really change. But in the summer, you get a lot of bad energy too--the people are pretty aggressive and mean--no not all of them, but enough that it can really get you down if you are one of those FAITH IN HUMANITY types, like me.
Anyway, I am going back to Denver. I love it there. It's not perfect, but the healthiness of sunshine is calling me back. I can't stand not seeing the sun. Plus, there is supposed to be a comet coming next year, that will be making an epic showing in the winter and I would hate to be in Seattle where you cant see it. There was an eclipse this year and CO got a front row seat--it was wonderful knowing that you could count in it being sunny. It turned out there was clouds, but even on the unprecedented incidence of clouds on that day, we still got to see it.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,208,652 times
When I read about brown, i assumed he meant the environment, not the races. One of the reasons i left was the brown for all except about 2 months. Brown grass, brown trees etc. They dont have enough water and it will only get worse. That said, while reading the OP the one city that came to mind was Boulder.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 PM

376 posts, read 650,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kania View Post
Single girl moving from the NYC region and I can't decide on Seattle or Denver. I don't mind the rain and I don't care much about the sun but I love to be active and spend time outdoors. I will be moving without a job and looking once I get there so being able to find a job easily is a big factor. Also, I am originally from Europe so I love meeting international people and I will be traveling a lot all over the West coast. Overall I am into a healthy lifestyle, with some spirituality on the side (yoga, meditation, inner peace) and I would love to get into a city with that type of vibe. Feeling good inside is way more important to me than rain or sun, etc. Any opinions and suggestions will be very much appreciated. Thank you!
I moved to Seattle area due to job opportunities and have grown to love the city BUT, the rain and overcast weather will drag you down after a few months of the gray. If I had to choose and job was equal, I would choose Denver for more sun and it's easier to get around (Seattle traffuc is a *****).

I would say that Seattle has more of the vibe you're talking about but Denver has a cool vibe as well. Denver probably has more to do outdoors but Seattle is awesome in the summer.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 PM

156 posts, read 302,550 times
Seattle is a tough pill. WA in general is very beautiful and complex. The Eastside and Westside are beautiful in different ways. The vibe of Seattle and W. WA is hard to describe but it makes other places feel weird (in that Seattle does have the edge). But for some (myself included) the weather is SO subconsciously....then eventually conciously draining. I think wealthy people have settled here because they can have the both of best worlds.

Ideally I would live here and split my time in a snowy region for winter and N. Cali for spring and early summer...spend August-November here. Hell...I'd even live in Eastern WA half the year if I could...but no jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area