U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM

28 posts, read 43,378 times

Advertisements

Good Morning!

Trying to figure out commute times on a bus from Magnolia to SLU. When we run the times on the site, it appears much longer than it should be, so what are we doing wrong? Is there an express? Is it bike-able,
and safe to do so?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,890,930 times
I think the only buses heading from Magnolia to DT Seattle are the 19, 24, and 33. None of them go right to SLU. You can walk from the nearest stop to SLU, and it would be around a ten minute walk, or continue on the bus and take the SLU streetcar. That might not save you any time. Or take your bike on the bus, and then bike from the nearest stop to SLU.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM

1,628 posts, read 6,521,337 times
Bus service to SLU is pretty limited in general, sorry to say.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,858,197 times
I'm going to suggest the backward routing as an alternative. Maybe it would work, maybe not. And, I'm not sure where in Magnolia you'd be starting and ending.

Let's assume you'd be starting at Magnolia Village or the center of the Magnolia business district. You could take the route-31 and transfer to route-40 at 34th and Fremont, OR depending on the schedule connections, get off the route-31 at 3rd N. and Nickerson and walk about a 1/2 block and across the street to the bus stop at the busy intersection of 4th N. and Westlake (farside). The latter would be suggested if the connection is tight at 34th and Fremont as would be the first suggested connection outlined below.

The southbound route-40 would take you straight down Westlake to SLU.

Now to piece the schedule together: let's assume you'd be going from Magnolia during the normal business commute times and that you have to be at work at SLU at 8:30 AM.

You could take the route-31 leaving 34th and W. Smith (Magnolia Village) at 7:21 AM. That bus is scheduled to arrive at 34th and Fremont at 7:38 AM. Debark the route-31 bus and cross the street to the bus stop on the other side. The route-40 bus is due there at 7:41 AM, 7:51 AM, or 8:06 AM. All three will get you to SLU by 8:30 AM.

Let's say you could make that first connection at 34th and Fremont at 7:41 AM --that assumes that the 31-bus is on time and you could cross the street in three minutes to board the 40-bus (or alternately, get off at 3rd N. and Nickerson and walk briskly to 4th N. and Westlake thereby avoiding taking one bus over the Fremont Bridge and the other bus back across the Fremont Bridge again), you'd be at SLU (or the 9th and Mercer timepoint) at 7:51 AM and over a half hour early for work. That trip with the connections timed perfectly would take 30-minutes by taking those two buses.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
37,907 posts, read 68,633,357 times
The Rapidride D stops at Dravus and Armour, is that too far for you to get to? It goes pretty close to S Lake Union, maybe 4-5 blocks to the Gates Foundation.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 PM

28 posts, read 43,378 times
Thank you all for your assistance! poopskooper, I need to wrap my brain around a metro map and check out those suggested connections!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 PM

If you need help once you look at the map, let us know. If you click on the route numbers hyperlinked in the previous post, it will give you the individual schedules and the route maps. If you need the general Metro map for that area in a PDF click here.

You asked about biking. I'm not sure. I'll leave that to the people that ride bikes in the city. It's been decades since I rode a bike in Seattle. I'm not sure if the Magnolia Bridge (Garfield Street) even has sidewalks from what I can remember ...click here for the Google Image that still shows no sidewalks and I certainly wouldn't want to ride in the street there. You'd probably have to ride over Dravus Street to get off the bluff OR take the buses pointed out by Ira500 in a previous post, 19, 24, or 33 and put your bike on the bike rack to get your bike off Magnolia and then get off at the closest point to SLU and ride the rest of the way.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,196,989 times
For bikes, I don't know the specific routes but there is a bike lane from Fremont down to SLU.

As for sidewalks, most cyclist avoid sidewalks because they tend to be much more dangerous than the street.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
For bikes, I don't know the specific routes but there is a bike lane from Fremont down to SLU.

As for sidewalks, most cyclist avoid sidewalks because they tend to be much more dangerous than the street.
Understood pertaining to sidewalks. However, looking at the Magnolia Bridge specifically, I'm not sure that's something I'd want to ride a bike either up or down. But again, it's been ages since I've ridden a bike in the city. Too dangerous for me at my age ...or even when I was younger it scared me to ride in city traffic.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
37,907 posts, read 68,633,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
Understood pertaining to sidewalks. However, looking at the Magnolia Bridge specifically, I'm not sure that's something I'd want to ride a bike either up or down.
Some time drive/walk/bike under it as I do frequently and you will not be so anxious to drive on it or bike on it. The bridge has been retrofitted many times but looks like a kid's erector set. The City spent a lot of time and money studying a replacement but has no money to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>