Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,399 times

Advertisements

Forbes and NextDoor.com's list

https://nextdoor.com/friendliesttowns/

The 15 Friendliest Towns In America Named By Forbes And Nextdoor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 PM

872 posts, read 2,029,451 times
Seattle Freeze. Represent.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Had the authors written that after actually spending some time here in Samammish, I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to do it without a straight face.

I imagine the writers looking something like this:

Old 12-22-2012, 04:43 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
I live in Sammamish and it is safe, beautiful, has good schools and has friendly people for sure. But friendliest? Does that even go hand in hand with the so called Seattle Freeze? Maybe it's because most of the people that live out here are transplants from other states??

Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I don't think that Forbes went around asking us if we chat to our neighbors over the fence or have them over for BBQs. Sammamish does have several community events, various neighborhoods here have block parties and community garage sales, and when at the S Sammamish park and ride waiting for the bus strangers become friends. Forbes doesn't likely know any of that. I grew up in Lafayette, CA which is next to #2, Orinda CA. These high rankings have more to do with being "family friendly." That means somewhat affluent, mostly homeowners with few apartments, very little crime, peaceful and quiet. And that is true for both Sammamish and Orinda.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:46 PM

204 posts, read 911,414 times
Forbes polls are generally inaccurate, but the criteria they used for this particular poll had more to do with stability and affluence than anything else. It was based on 4 things:

1. Percentage of owner occupied homes

2. Crime rate

3. Charitable giving

4. Percentage of college graduates

Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 PM

278 posts, read 636,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
Forbes polls are generally inaccurate, but the criteria they used for this particular poll had more to do with stability and affluence than anything else. It was based on 4 things:

1. Percentage of owner occupied homes

2. Crime rate

3. Charitable giving

4. Percentage of college graduates
How do anything of these things have anything to do with being friendly?

If it was "Most Picture-Perfect Suburb in America" that would be a different story.

I grew up in Sammamish, went to high school there, and am one of those college graduates... I can tell you "friendly" is not a word I'd use to describe Sammamish. Neighbors keep to themselves.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:20 PM

204 posts, read 911,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
How do anything of these things have anything to do with being friendly?

If it was "Most Picture-Perfect Suburb in America" that would be a different story.

I grew up in Sammamish, went to high school there, and am one of those college graduates... I can tell you "friendly" is not a word I'd use to describe Sammamish. Neighbors keep to themselves.
Exactly, that was my point. None of those things have anything to do with being friendly or neighborly. It really only shows stability in home ownership, affluence, and education.

The few times I was in Sammamish, it seemed nice enough for a suburb, but not overtly friendly.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
Exactly, that was my point. None of those things have anything to do with being friendly or neighborly.
There is no such thing as neighborliness in the greater Seattle area. To the contrary, I could share some real neighbors-from-hell stories. Maybe we should start a thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area