Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surya2u View Post
Interesting article. But is downtown Bothell coming back to life with families or single people?
They're mostly building apartments, and a lot of them are small. So I think it's their aim to attract singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM

13 posts, read 23,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
They're mostly building apartments, and a lot of them are small. So I think it's their aim to attract singles.
What streets are downtown Bothell?

Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surya2u View Post
What streets are downtown Bothell?
Downtown is near the intersection of Main and Bothell Way (that weird 4-5? way intersection that borders on what used to be Bothell Landing)

I keep hearing about how Bothell has improved, but I'm not sure why people think this.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:29 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Google is supposedly building a second local campus in Bothell. And since the city is fairly convenient to Microsoft, too, and more affordable than Kirkland, Redmond and Woodinville, it makes sense that Bothell would be coming up. For those that don't know, Bothell is completely re-doing its downtown. New multi-use housing/retail, more pedestrian friendly, McMenamins pub & hotel, etc. Good school district, too.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Reminds me of contemplating a move to Irvine, CA back c. 1991 on a modest salary. Couldn't easily be done, absent a long commute.

So, I didn't. Math didn't work. Took a job elsewhere, since there were options.

Canyon Park, hmm. Depends how bad you want that job. Be resourceful, something may yet work out.

Good to read in other replies that Bothell-proper is renovating. Mill Creek did same c. 2001-2005 and it was a sight to behold (they built a "town" from the ground up, including inventing several new streets. Leveled at least two trailer parks and ran off more than a few hermits in the process).

There are many, many condos in the Canyon Park area. Most seem rather sterile and for the over-30 crowd, all things considered. Not terribly interesting for anyone interested in "night life." Didn't seem like many were inexpensive, either.

My buddies tell me the used car market is crowded out past few years due to people not wanting to invest in new, in a down economy. Craig's List is your friend. $600 total will buy a great used Honda scooter, to keep on the porch for summer toodling around.

Otherwise, ORCA pass is your friend. Might want to examine the routes to/from Canyon Park Park n' Ride. I bussed in and out there for years, on snow days, to eastside.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Google is supposedly building a second local campus in Bothell. And since the city is fairly convenient to Microsoft, too, and more affordable than Kirkland, Redmond and Woodinville, it makes sense that Bothell would be coming up. For those that don't know, Bothell is completely re-doing its downtown. New multi-use housing/retail, more pedestrian friendly, McMenamins pub & hotel, etc. Good school district, too.
All that is great but the fact that it might be coming at some point doesn't make the place desirable now for a young single person, does it? Unless they're looking for a construction job...

I'd like to see Bothell develop, but it's always been a place people move more for the house and less for the neighborhood.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
All that is great but the fact that it might be coming at some point doesn't make the place desirable now for a young single person, does it? Unless they're looking for a construction job...

I'd like to see Bothell develop, but it's always been a place people move more for the house and less for the neighborhood.
I didn't say it was a great place for a single person right now. But that said, my first apartment after college was in...wait for it...Bothell. My roommate and I worked for a company in Canyon Park. It was affordable, safe and an easy commute. And since our friends mostly lived on the eastside, it wasn't an inconvenient location. BUT, we both had cars. I wouldn't want to live in Bothell (or most of the eastside, for that matter) without a car.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
I didn't say it was a great place for a single person right now. But that said, my first apartment after college was in...wait for it...Bothell. My roommate and I worked for a company in Canyon Park. It was affordable, safe and an easy commute. And since our friends mostly lived on the eastside, it wasn't an inconvenient location. BUT, we both had cars. I wouldn't want to live in Bothell (or most of the eastside, for that matter) without a car.
I don't think it's developed to the kind of semi-urban car agnostic living area the OP is looking for just yet, whether it's Bothell or Canyon Park. I'd give it another 25 years before living there without a car. Heck, living in Northgate without a car is not totally convenient and it even has a mall. Bothell? Woodinville? sheesh.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I don't think it's developed to the kind of semi-urban car agnostic living area the OP is looking for just yet, whether it's Bothell or Canyon Park. I'd give it another 25 years before living there without a car. Heck, living in Northgate without a car is not totally convenient and it even has a mall. Bothell? Woodinville? sheesh.
I agree. It's suburbia. It's not supposed to be urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area