Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

If you are south or southeast from Renton you still have to go through it so yes, living in Renton is going to save drive time. Finding 2 bedrooms for $1,100 within a short drive to Seattle is hard, safe or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 AM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I'm starting to look more in the Federal Way/Des Moines area and all the places over there for a few reasons:

1.) I don't think I'll be able to afford a decent place in an area of Seattle worth looking at or the Eastside for my budget, which is pretty much $1100 for a 2BR, but preferably lower. If anyone thinks I may be wrong on this, please let me know.
While options in Seattle proper/Eastside will be limited, stuff that isn't too shabby occasionally pops up in that range in areas like West Seattle (parts of, at least) or Beacon Hill. You kind of gotta hunt for deals and jump on them immediately though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744
I'm looking at apartments and found one complex in Federal Way that's near the intersection of 1st Ave and 312th St. No idea if anyone knows if that's in a decent enough area or not. I'm a long way from making final decisions, but I have this place bookmarked for the time being.
312th and 1st is an ok area. There are some pretty nice areas south of 320th around 1st. I'd still recommend Des Moines over Federal Way if you're looking into stuff in south King county though, for the following reasons

- The rents are still affordable, like Federal Way. But you'll be closer to Seattle, which it sounds like is what you want.

- It still has suburban creature comforts like Federal Way, but with more of it's own charm and character. The downtown area near the Marina has a good share of local businesses/restaurants/bars all within walking distance of eachother. It's great during the summer too.

- It's close to Highway 509. This can be a convenient back-way to get into Seattle. It's usually less busy/less traffic than I-5. Plus, it goes right into Seattle's industrial area, SODO district, which is where the sports arenas are. Occasionally, you may have to watch out for the 1st-ave draw-bridge on 509 being up, or trains when in SODO. But the majority of the time, this way seems to end up being a shortcut if you're going to a game or south Seattle areas (Unless you live close to I-5).

Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM

299 posts, read 666,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Kent/Auburn/Federal Way/Renton - it depends what part of those cities you're in. They all have nice parts, and not-so nice parts, like any city. I wouldn't really say any of them are unsafe as a whole. For the most part, they're towns that serve as bedroom communities for people who work in Seattle or Bellevue. I personally tend to prefer Des Moines or Burien as far as Seattle suburbs go, but it's not because I would consider those other areas unsafe.
Spot on! Those suburbs can be hit and miss but it depends on the neighborhoods. Renton is a good example of a Seattle suburb that has some not so good areas but a large part of it is still undeveloped and semi-rural. I live in the part of Renton that still has lots of wooded areas and wildnerness. My neighbors and I have seen wild life on occasion. Some folks have reported deer eating their plants but that's really about the only trouble around here. The gangs, druggies, panhandlers, et al don't hang around my area too much.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:34 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,267 times
If you are ok with an older building, I think you can find a 2 bedroom in your price range in Seattle.
Just a quick check of craigslist found this:$1095 / 2br - 2 Bed Near Admiral Junction in West Seattle (West Seattle)

It's in a great part of West Seattle, walking distance to restaurants and shops. West Seattle has a great California beach town vibe (albeit a tad colder) and you've got Alki Beach and Lincoln Park nearby. Downtown is accessible via bus routes. The new Sonics arena (*crosses fingers*), Safeco, & Century Link Field are just down the hill and over.

West Seattle is so much more vibrant than Federal Way - I work in Fed Way and live in Auburn. Unless you want to be in the suburbs, I can't see a reason to prefer it. You won't be able to walk to much from 1st and 312th, although Redondo Beach is a quick drive down the hill.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
If you are ok with an older building, I think you can find a 2 bedroom in your price range in Seattle.
Just a quick check of craigslist found this:$1095 / 2br - 2 Bed Near Admiral Junction in West Seattle (West Seattle)

It's in a great part of West Seattle, walking distance to restaurants and shops. West Seattle has a great California beach town vibe (albeit a tad colder) and you've got Alki Beach and Lincoln Park nearby. Downtown is accessible via bus routes. The new Sonics arena (*crosses fingers*), Safeco, & Century Link Field are just down the hill and over.

West Seattle is so much more vibrant than Federal Way - I work in Fed Way and live in Auburn. Unless you want to be in the suburbs, I can't see a reason to prefer it. You won't be able to walk to much from 1st and 312th, although Redondo Beach is a quick drive down the hill.
I could definitely do something like that place you found. As it'll be several months from now when I actually move, I'm just trying to get a feel for what's possible in my price range and what areas are worth looking at. I wouldn't mind suburbs necessarily, I just feel like it's easier to get a decent area. Or, let me say it another way.....when moving into a major city without being familiar with it, I feel like it's high-risk, high-reward. If you get a spot you really like, it can be great. If you end up in a crappy kind of area, it can make you question everything. I feel anyway. The only person I know familiar with Seattle is one of my friends I met in (and still lives in) LA. He's grew up in Auburn actually but he doesn't seem to be terribly knowledgeable about different areas out there and I don't want to keep bothering him haha.
But, I suppose that's why these forums exist, and why I'm using them so much.

But if I saw that ad you posted a few months from now I would definitely be looking into it. Especially with easy access to the stadiums and (hopefully) new Sonics arena. You mentioning it having a California beach town vibe would be interesting for me to see, because California is basically my second home and I'm choosing to move to Seattle instead of back there, which frightens me a little, but it's alright haha

Old 01-27-2013, 07:02 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
I'm in the market looking right now for apartments and getting a 2 bed for $1,100 depends on your tolerance for shabbiness. I'm sure the $1,100 2 bed in West Seattle once you drove out to it you may say yuck. People just go on craigslist and pull up an apt for $1,100 and say it can be done...but what they fail to do is drive out to it and look at. If they did that their opinion would change radically.

I was prepared for the weather, but what I've been MOST surprised with moving up here from San Diego is the cost of renting and the congestion/traffic. I thought Seattle would be on par with San Diego in terms of rental prices, but it is significantly higher. I'm looking in close in areas Capitol Hill, Fremont, Queen Anne, Wallingford...and a decent 1 bed with parking (that you would actually want to live in), go from $1,550-$2,000. A lot of the stuff out there below that are dumps. I just can't do 1960's era ugly dumpy apartments on busy streets anymore at 42 years old I could do them in my 20's, but can't now. San Diego you can get a very nice upscale 1 bed in a good area for say $1,350. I would say the traffic and congestion is significantly worse in Seattle vs. San Diego as well.

That being said I love Seattle culturally and it's a much better fit for me despite the cost of housing and traffic. I will also get a huge break with no state income taxes so I will come out way ahead even with a higher housing payment. I was getting skinned alive in Cali with the now 10% state income tax!

Seattle is higher than San Diego rents but just below San Francisco rents. I foolishly assumed before I moved up here I could score a decent 1 bed for $1,200 in a nice part of town. Man was I wrong! I think I will end up spending at least $1,600 for a 1 bed with parking. And that won't even be a very big place! That is $5k more a year out the window!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm in the market looking right now for apartments and getting a 2 bed for $1,100 depends on your tolerance for shabbiness. I'm sure the $1,100 2 bed in West Seattle once you drove out to it you may say yuck. People just go on craigslist and pull up an apt for $1,100 and say it can be done...but what they fail to do is drive out to it and look at. If they did that their opinion would change radically.

I was prepared for the weather, but what I've been MOST surprised with moving up here from San Diego is the cost of renting and the congestion/traffic. I thought Seattle would be on par with San Diego in terms of rental prices, but it is significantly higher. I'm looking in close in areas Capitol Hill, Fremont, Queen Anne, Wallingford...and a decent 1 bed with parking (that you would actually want to live in), go from $1,550-$2,000. A lot of the stuff out there below that are dumps. I just can't do 1960's era ugly dumpy apartments on busy streets anymore at 42 years old I could do them in my 20's, but can't now. San Diego you can get a very nice upscale 1 bed in a good area for say $1,350. I would say the traffic and congestion is significantly worse in Seattle vs. San Diego as well.

That being said I love Seattle culturally and it's a much better fit for me despite the cost of housing and traffic. I will also get a huge break with no state income taxes so I will come out way ahead even with a higher housing payment. I was getting skinned alive in Cali with the now 10% state income tax!

Seattle is higher than San Diego rents but just below San Francisco rents. I foolishly assumed before I moved up here I could score a decent 1 bed for $1,200 in a nice part of town. Man was I wrong! I think I will end up spending at least $1,600 for a 1 bed with parking. And that won't even be a very big place! That is $5k more a year out the window!
I used to live in San Diego also (it's my second home. I'm afraid I'll miss it a lot once I'm in Seattle) and I must say I totally disagree with the notion that you can find a very nice upscale 1BR there for around $1350. I would say I would hope to find an above-average one for around $1300, give or take a little. If I were in the market for upscale I'd probably expect to pay $1600 at the very least down there. But, I guess "nice, upscale" and "good area" are objective terms. Regarding San Francisco, I'm very unfamiliar with that city, but I lived in LA for a year so I'll use that comparison instead.

As for the dingy parts and things like that.....it doesn't bother me that much. I'm almost 28 so it isn't a huge concern. Would I like a pretty nice place? Of course, and I'm probably much more willing to look suburban than most in their 20s would be, but I'm willing to take the hit if the area of Seattle is something I could see myself living in. I was always sort of fascinated with Seattle itself when I was a teenager (I wanted to go to UW until I realized what admission standards were) and, until I moved to San Diego, I wanted to be in Seattle. I think since life has thrown me a curve ball and I'm heading there soon when I least expected it, I regress back those thoughts I used to have...which was the city of Seattle itself. I think I could handle a place that's less than perfect. However, I just don't want to be in a part of town that's sketchy. The apartment itself I'll give a little bit on. And no, I wouldn't get my hopes up until I actually saw the places themselves. I know craigslist and pictures in general can be deceiving.

Last edited by Drake744; 01-27-2013 at 08:36 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post

Honestly, you've made it a point to only look at Seattle Proper where everything is at a premium. I'm not sure how you've missed it but the posters here are always pointing out that finding a 1bdrm for $1200 in the nice part of town would be a real challenge-- especially with amenities (like W/D, parking slot, et. c). A lot of times, its not even advertised as it would be easier and quicker to put out a For Rent sign (meaning you gotta hit the pavements).

Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 PM

"I used to live in San Diego also (it's my second home. I'm afraid I'll miss it a lot once I'm in Seattle) and I must say I totally disagree with the notion that you can find a very nice upscale 1BR there for around $1350. I would say I would hope to find an above-average one for around $1300, give or take a little. If I were in the market for upscale I'd probably expect to pay $1600 at the very least down there. But, I guess "nice, upscale" and "good area" are objective terms."

----->Boy I totally disagree with you there. I'm a landlord and own 3 condos that I rent in San Diego and have also rented there for many years myself so I know the market very well. The condo I own and just moved out of in the hipster area of North Park was a 2/2 totally renovated with granite, high end kitchen cabinets, wood floors, secured parking. I just leased it for $1,375 and that was about the market rent. NO WAY could you touch a place like that in a similar close in area in Seattle. Capitol Hill is a similar hipster type urban area as North Park is in San Diego, and I can't find a 1 bed under $1,600 with parking that is livable (let alone a 2/2). For even $1,250 you could get a very nice 1 bedroom condo with parking in North Park. Even in high end places like La Jolla, Encinitas, Carlsbad I would bet $1,400 would get you a very nice updated 1 bedroom. Downtown San Diego with the newer built condos are a little higher priced and more on par with Seattle. If you want to go with a non-updated older 1960's 1 bedroom in North Park you can get them for $900/mo.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM

Also for me a lot of the reason to be in Seattle is to be in one of the cool, iconic Seattle neighborhoods where you can walk to everything, have the classic views, etc.... I moved here out of choice not because of work or family (I just personally can't stand SoCal culturally and got tired of the dryness and lack of seasons, etc, etc, etc...). If I came all the way up to Seattle and I was somewhere way out in the boonies in a dingy apartment in a boring suburb, that would defeat the purpose IMO of moving here for the cool unique things about central Seattle. But that is me. So that is why I will hold my nose and suck it up and pay $1,600 (if I'm lucky) for a 1 bed condo probably no more than 600 square feet. A lot of folks come here for other reasons and it doesn't matter where they live, and that is cool too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area