U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 01:16 PM

4 posts, read 9,725 times

Advertisements

I will be working at Boeing Field starting in August. I really like Issaquah and surrounding areas. However, I am a bit worried about the commute time. In typical traffic how long would the commute from Lower Issaquah be? How about the highlands? Is it just a matter of hoping onto I-90 into Seattle and hitting I-5 south to Boeing field. I also like the Eastgate area and Bellevue, however there are less options as far as townhouses and apartments go, the highlands are loaded with great options for housing!

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,882 posts, read 65,322,455 times
With the Sunset Ave ramps, it's a quick shot from the highlands to I90. If you leave home by about 6:15 am you can be at B.F. in 20-25 minutes. After that it will take progressively longer, as much as an hour close to 8am some days. You can get jams at East Lake Sammamish Parkway, at Eastgate, the 405 Junction, and the worst, going from 90 to I5 south which is often stopped completely and backed up by 7am. Then in the afternoon
after 2pm that drive back home will be 45 minutes to an hour or more. I90 is not too backed up until about 3:30-4pm but getting back up I5 to 90 Eaat is sometimes backed up all day long. If you can find someone to carpool with after you start there, and can take the express lanes, they are still pretty much clear even at commute times, though that won't help much on I5 it will save time on 90.

Depending on where you are in the lower part of Issaquah it could take Longer, since there are surface streets with heavy traffic and signals to get through.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM

64 posts, read 202,827 times
I think the traffic on 90 would take you anywhere from 30 min to 45 min, 1 hour in really bad traffic. I drive that way sometimes and just skip 5S and exit off on 90 and take side streets. It makes a huge difference if you can leave before 7:30 am and drive back before 4 pm.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,699,230 times
Yeah, if it gets strangled on I-5, just exit and use surface streets to Boeing Field. No biggie.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 AM

5,008 posts, read 11,533,118 times
From Issaquah you can take I-90 to the end of the highway - literally - and get off onto 4th Ave and go south from there, turn left a bit onto the Royal Brougham, and then right onto Airport Rd. It's about a 5 mile trip from there to Georgetown, where you will be able to simply go through town to Boeing Field.

I must've done that a dozen times when I was going down to Boeing field and traffic on I-5 going south was horrendous. Also did it that way going reverse when the Carmaggeddon happened (I-5 closure for repairs), there's an entrance to I-90 going east right next to the stadiums.

You'll also get to see some of the neighborhood. Maruta Mart has killer bento boxes real cheap compared to other places, Stellar Pizza is awesome, and so is Katsu burger. I Luv Teriyaki isn't bad either, get a lot for your money. Also interesting art galleries, a great pub, and a flea market (for real) around there.

Yeah it won't beat the highway if it's clear, but when traffic gets backed up on I-5 and / or you have a two mile backup on the single lane ramp to I-5 S from I-90 going west, just go past it and avoid the headache. It's also infintely more interesting than staring down gridlock at 8AM/5PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area