Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM

6 posts, read 12,272 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

One basic question, do any know if there more tech jobs in Seattle or Bellevue? As this would help me decide where to rent.

Thank you
Ivan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Seattle, but not that much difference. If you add Redmond to Bellevue (Microsoft) you will pick up another 30,000 employees. Amazon expansion in Seattle continues with new buildings
coming. If you live in Bellevue the commute to Seattle is not that bad, especially if you take the bus.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
There are a lot of jobs in the Bellevue/Redmond area with Microsoft, Expedia, Costco Nintendo and many other tech companies. Seattle has Boeing (really north and south of Seattle but on the west side of Lake), Amazon, and a variety of companies that support the needs of a large city. I suggest get the job and just decide where you will live once you know where you'll work...there are nice places to live in either city.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:57 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Hmm - I see a lot more tech job openings in Redmond/Bellevue than I do in Seattle. Appx 3:1 going by Dice, CareerBuilder, and CL. That's an informal observation though - it would be nice to see if anyone has a link to some actual numbers. FWIW, I am a computer engineer and that's the types of jobs I'm looking at. And for my area in particular, the jobs are almost entirely eastside (which is a pity since I prefer to live in Seattle). So if you're looking for IT or something like that - the numbers may be different. Regardless, there are definitely plenty of jobs on both sides of the lake, so your chances of ending up on the side of the lake you're not living in are signifigant.

Quote:
I suggest get the job and just decide where you will live once you know where you'll work...there are nice places to live in either city.
++

Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 AM

195 posts, read 377,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Hmm - I see a lot more tech job openings in Redmond/Bellevue than I do in Seattle. Appx 3:1 going by Dice, CareerBuilder, and CL. That's an informal observation though - it would be nice to see if anyone has a link to some actual numbers. FWIW, I am a computer engineer and that's the types of jobs I'm looking at. And for my area in particular, the jobs are almost entirely eastside (which is a pity since I prefer to live in Seattle). So if you're looking for IT or something like that - the numbers may be different. Regardless, there are definitely plenty of jobs on both sides of the lake, so your chances of ending up on the side of the lake you're not living in are signifigant.

++
There are a LOT of tech jobs in the downtown area, especially but not limited to the SLU area.

It may depend on exactly which skillset though. I don't know exactly what a "computer engineer" is but there are plenty of software engineering jobs in both places it seems to me.

For me, most of the positions I have seen are in Seattle and I'm desperately trying to get back to the East Side

Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
East side my friend, go east. Seattle is fairly dry for tech jobs. Amazon is a revolving door, avoid. Go east.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:50 PM

570 posts, read 1,729,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
There are a LOT of tech jobs in the downtown area, especially but not limited to the SLU area.

It may depend on exactly which skillset though. I don't know exactly what a "computer engineer" is but there are plenty of software engineering jobs in both places it seems to me.

For me, most of the positions I have seen are in Seattle and I'm desperately trying to get back to the East Side
but Eastside has alot more IT hiring right now. Even Google has 3 buildings in Kirkland.

Other than Microsoft, Eastside has Expedia, Intel, Cisco , Nintendo, Google and many other small IT companies build around those companies.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Funny: half say one, half the other. I would have leaned towards "Eastside", but realize I have observer bias towards Microsoft technologies.

Bought a condo on the north end to mitigate just such a dilemma: about equal distance, if not commute times, to Seattle or eastside. Ironically, every job, to the last, has been to-date on Eastside. I have pals with the opposite problem, on either side of the lake.

Personally, ten years later I decided to buy a house on eastside, putting a stake in the ground somewhere I know and enjoy. Major bus hub 1 mile away, so however it goes remaining 20 year of my career I'm reasonably prepared. Who knows what the future will bring? And we adjust accordingly. Commutes suck, and are a major problem here, so I'm personally trying to keep to either side roads for my mercifully-short current commute or use mass transit for potential future positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area