Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,800,051 times

Advertisements

I buy my berries in bulk and put them in BPA-Free tupperware containers that last for years.

I get my 100% grass fed raw Jersey cow milk in glass jars which I pay a deposit on and return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,624,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I buy my berries in bulk and put them in BPA-Free tupperware containers that last for years.

I get my 100% grass fed raw Jersey cow milk in glass jars which I pay a deposit on and return.
Where do you buy bulk berries????? I must know!

I'm with you on the grass fed Jersey milk... except mine is pasteurized.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:15 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,394,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
They should ban paper bags next, as the forests in Oregon and Washington have become decimated with so much wasteful paper consumption. We are such a wasteful society, that Americans waste many more times than many countries in the world consume.
Forests in Oregon and Washington are at a more sustainable point in their life life then they have ever been. In fact, due to the US Government's LACK of sustainable practices on US Forest Service and BLM lands, the trees are actually of lower quality and only useful for pulp products for the most part.

Most Forest Products are taken from privately owned lands that are cleared of underbrush and dead trees ever few years, thinned when needed to increase growth and harvested on a rotating schedule the increases wildlife habitats that help keep noxious pests to a minimum.

Even then, that public land you see has likely been harvested at least once if not two or three times at this point. You have the original cutting in the 1860-1890 time frame, the WWI and WWII time frames when Spruce was used extensively in the War Efforts, and then the 1960 - 1980 time frame when the Baby Boomers came of age and countries like Japan were needing huge amounts of lumber.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,514,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I think it's been in effect for a few months now. Olympia is considering a ban. Do you recommend a ban based on Seattle's experience?
I hated the plastic bags to start with b/c they can't hold heavy items. I would rather have one good canvas bag than six little plastic bags that tear into my fingers due to the weight of my groceries.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:23 PM

26 posts, read 35,405 times
They really need to do this everywhere. I live in the Sacramento county area and I've heard talk about it but nothing has changed yet.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,343,882 times
If I leave the house without bags in the car or I am stopping by the store on the way home and I don't have bags with me I just go to a store in Shoreline.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:29 AM

I'm out of state for 6 weeks. My mom is calling me a hypocrite, but I've been keeping all the plastic bags she brings home (she's not interested in using cloth and she just throws them away immediately). I haven't had to buy trash bags since 2009. I think the ban has been great and when my plastic grocery bag stash disappeared I compensated by using sandwich bread bags for trash. My problem has been the litter box. I just really like using the bags for that.. easier, less messy... sadly, I've been here for 2 weeks and I probably have enough for a year already.

This is my first trip to leave WA in a few years and I'm just shocked in general at the lack of recycling and composting everywhere. I'm often cringing at what I'm seeing and experiencing. So glad I live in such an ecologically enlightened and concerned part of the country.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:40 AM

500 posts, read 374,751 times
All the ecological-minded people, yet they sit on forums and type, using keyboards and computers made from oil byproducts!

How strange is that?

Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
All the ecological-minded people, yet they sit on forums and type, using keyboards and computers made from oil byproducts!

How strange is that?
Hmm... I've seen, and sometimes used, forks made out of potatoes, but I haven't yet seen a computer or keyboard made from one... and how much you wanna guess that would cost to make??? Probably more than my condo. How strange is that??

Old 08-09-2013, 03:22 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,751,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post

How strange is that?
I don't throw out 7 computers every time I go grocery shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area