Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,695 times

Advertisements

Hello Seattle!! I have wanted to live/visit Seattle for over 20 years, and now that I am almost 30 I am trying to decide if I want to go ahead and make the move now before I settle down.

I am currently unemployed. I am seeking employment here in Atlanta but have come across some great job opportunities in Seattle as well. I have over 8 years management experience in both hospitality and restaurant service.

If I do get employed in the Emerald City I am hoping to land a job with a company that would help me to relocate.

Does anyone know of any such companies that would help me, or should I just use my tax money and hope for the best?? Anyone have to make any similar decisions recently??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:59 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Just my opinion, but I'm guessing any such jobs could be filled locally with no need to pay someone to move from across the country. So if you want to try working in Seattle, I'd suggest moving here and joining the hordes of people looking for similar jobs.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:02 PM

yeah didn't think of that...

Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The jobs that are most available are high tech. Some do pay relocation, but only for top candidates and upper management. Keep in mind that the cost of living here is high, about 30% more than Atlanta, so bring plenty of cash to survive until you find a job.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:10 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
You'll have to do your own research. No one's going to hand you a job on a silver platter. I can't help but warn you, though, that if you move to Seattle as a single 30-something, you may not "settle down". The singles scene is nonexistent (see the thread on the infamous Seattle Freeze). May I ask WHY you've been dreaming of living in Seattle?

If you do get there, let us know how things pan out.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:42 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The singles scene is nonexistent
LOL. I think someone has been striking out.

It's a great city in which to be young and single. Less wealth-obsessed than Atlanta, FWIW.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM

157 posts, read 218,236 times
Seattle is not the best place to be the 'new kid,' so take the advice to very carefully plan your decisions. One of my good friends worked as a manager at the Radisson here, and while employed, kept applying for all the other management positions that were open and with no luck despite the degree and years of experience. He was eventually offered a job in another city under Carlson Rezidor (Radisson Blu) as a transfer (with no relocation expense paid).

Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Thank you all for your feedback :-)

And Ruth4Truth...I think the city is just beautiful. When I got my first job I named my savings account "Seattle Trip" b/c I was saving to visit. That ended up never happening..but I love the location, the atmosphere, just something about that place that has been drawing me to it since forever.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Aajjam: still unsure from your post if you've ever visited, or just like Seattle from impressions read about here or seen on tv/movies.

Just curious while following the thread...

Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
That ended up never happening..but I love the location, the atmosphere, just something about that place that has been drawing me to it since forever.

How can you be drawn to somewhere you may have never been? What if you hate it? What if it's as exciting and beautiful as Macon?

Think about it:
Would it sound weird if I said I've been drawn to Atlanta since forever? I've never been there. Are there people that are drawn to Atlanta for reasons that aren't economic or familial? What if it wasn't what I expected? I'm sure it's not.

Falling in love with a place doesn't happen from afar. I can't fall in love with a beautiful actress via pictures and movies. I can think she's pretty, think she may have an attractive personality, but I can't love her until I get to know her, and even then I may decide she's not the one for me.

Now remove Atlanta and the actress and insert Seattle.

I appreciate the taking of the plunge, I have done it twice, but at least after visiting each place for awhile (1 week to 1 month).

Just do it right. I'd hate to be so excited about a place and not come to love it in the end.

After awhile, it just becomes punching a clock somewhere else anyway.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area