Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM

118 posts, read 207,721 times

Advertisements

there is no way they make over 100k annually heres a link to the pension plans not that impressive if you ask me.

Select Your Retirement System and Plan :: Washington State Department of Retirement Systems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM

123 posts, read 244,511 times
Certainly few if any teachers in this state make over 100K, but many after 30 years in better
paid districts make 80K. And if they are in the older retirement plan they get 2% per year times
number of years teaching, typically 30 years if they stick it out.
If they start at age 22, they could be finished at age 52, like a number of my relatives.

So (0.60) times 80,000/yr divided by 12= $4000 per month.
That looks pretty good to me. But then I am not a Microsoft software engineer.
An immediate annuity purchased today would have to equal about $800,000 to yield that monthly income
for life for a 60 year old retiree.

Tale a look at: http://wwwb.thenewstribune.com/datab..._pay/index.php

Last edited by gwix98; 02-17-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM

118 posts, read 207,721 times
So if you are in the best school districts, work for more than thirty years, and were hired before 1977 you're retirement package is fairly nice.

Now lets pretend you have just graduated and are looking at becoming a teacher would you want to work for a school district in washington state?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM

123 posts, read 244,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-rev View Post
So if you are in the best school districts, work for more than thirty years, and were hired before 1977 you're retirement package is fairly nice.

Now lets pretend you have just graduated and are looking at becoming a teacher would you want to work for a school district in washington state?
That's a great question, and coincidentally I have a son who is a substitute teacher in our
area (Edmonds-Mukilteo-Everett). Frankly, its tough getting a continuing contract, and many
of his graduating class went overseas to do ESL in South Korea and Japan. Others left the
field before even starting..no jobs in this area.

The folks in TRS1 and PERS1 have the best plan, but there are only a few of them still
working as 1977 was a long time ago. My wife would be done except she left the system, and
returned 10 years later.

I advised my son to look elsewhere, but he wanted to remain in Washington and had a spouse's
career to consider as well. There are jobs in other states so I guess it comes down to how badly
you want to live in Washington State.

I suspect if it was me, I'd stick it out and hope that eventually I would get a position.
I just retired from a career, that paid less than teaching, but work was very steady, and we
just learned to live on less, and it sure helped that I had a working wife.
I also was not saddled with a huge student loan as so many of the new graduates have today.

But, I can sure understand why someone would leave the state, as it is not cheap to live here.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 PM

19 posts, read 49,218 times
I work in the Issaquah School District. We are for sure underpaid, however I also think we have a lot of other things that contribute to being satisfied with a job here. We are paid for staff development, given teacher work days, opportunities to earn more by taking trainings.

I wouldn't just look at a salary schedule and let that make a decision for you. Do some investigating. Walk into some schools. Ask the principal what is their focus in their school.

There is so much more to a great school or district than just money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area