Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times

Advertisements

I'm a more conservative libertarian (there are degrees of libertarianism, it's not monolithic). I personally like some aspects of Seattle, and hate others. For the most part, it's a city that tries to have fun things to do, and there are a lot of things to see here. What I hate are the people though. I guess I like people who are more direct, so I'm not a huge fan of passive aggressivenes. It's very annoying to me. People in Atlanta were nice, but they were also fairly direct for the most part.

I personally like Seattle's attempt to be urban, but the natives don't have a very urban mindset. For the most part, people in Seattle live fairly simple, small town lifestyles. Most live in the places they were raised, only have friends they were raised with, and as a result can be very cliquish. I've noticed this social dynamic the most in Seattle. Also people just seem zoned out and aloof most of the time. Another annoying thing.

Otherwise it's fine. I wouldn't move away, unless someone told me that I can't make money here anymore. The people element is a small part of it for me. I just have to find out where I fit in, then I'm sure I'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 03:06 AM

603 posts, read 877,616 times
I grew up in the Detroit suburbs and have been in the Seattle-area almost 7 years. There's things I like but more things I do not like about Seattle. The stellar job market and cultural diversity are big pluses. Actually having a safe downtown nearby is nice (Seattle), and downtown Bellevue is just a joy. The public transportation here is unmatched and I love the green aspect. I love doing my part for the environment.

On the flip side, I do miss having 4 seasons instead of the two we get here. 9-10 months are dreary and cold and if I'm not busy, it's easy to start becoming depressed. Seattle is also far too liberal for my tastes (maybe I just feel this way because I study at a super liberal university...the UW). If on a scale; Liberal were a 1 and Conservative were a 10, I would call myself a 6.5. When it comes to fiscal issues I am more conservative but with social issues I'm a bit more moderate. For example, I am a Republican who believes in global warming. But being the least bit conservative makes me feel completely isolated out here.

Also, I am an Indian and the Indian community out here is not very established. The vast majority just came here from India as new hires at Microsoft. They all have small children and have not yet accustomed to the norms in America. The community is not established like it is in the midwest and east coast.

Overall, I'm glad I moved here due mainly to job-related reasons for my family. We've done well in this place, world's better than we ever could have in Michigan. However, I feel like when I finish my studies I would like to move elsewhere. I miss the Midwest, so Chicago looks appealing (although I might hate it there being a Detroit sports fan and all).

Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
I'm from New Jersey. I went from this:

To this:

Need I say more?

Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 AM

39 posts, read 60,823 times
Nope!! ; )

Old 03-10-2013, 12:16 PM

458 posts, read 958,302 times
You summed it up victorianpunk.....Brilliant!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
i really like it here. sure it rains a lot but that's the price i pay for fresh air, green, etc. and i think it's worth it. i'd rather have this than no rain, no green, smog, etc.

i also grew up in michigan as a kid but living in SoCal for the past 14 years and NorCal for 6 years before that.

since people have also been talking politics, i've very conservative. on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being liberal and 10 being ultra conservative, i think i'm a 10. this is obviously the smallest of the smallest group of minorities around here but oh well...i can hold my own .

so even though my political beliefs are at odds with just about everyone around here, i still like living here and don't think i'd want to go back to SoCal. i suppose if anything, i might go back to northern California someday but we'll see.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM

458 posts, read 958,302 times
I think the trick to Seattle is to not make it something it isn't...It is very liberal, it is overcast for 9 months of the year, it is beautiful, people are not as effusive as in some other parts of the country but they are mostly kind, ethical and hardworking. In all the years I have lived in Seattle I have never had anyone try to hustle me, rip me off, or pull one over on me...coming from DC and NYC that seems like a miracle...the fact that you don't have to watch your back in an urban area the way you do in many other cities is refreshing and makes Seattle hard to beat. We have the second highest educated workforce in the country and bright minds abound...I never feel intellectually deprived here...people care about their neighborhoods...the city is clean and orderly and not perfect which makes it feel real and unique all on its own...Seattle doesn't feel like it is trying to be like any other place...

Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 AM

150 posts, read 580,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I lived the first 32 years of my life in Michigan. Lost my job and ended up moving to metro D.C., where we stayed for seven years. We've been in Seattle now for nearly two and a half years. I don't think we'll be moving again. We're pretty happy here. Seattle was love at first sight for us, and it feels like I'm finally home, after feeling like I was in constant limbo in D.C. Michigan was a great state in its own way, but I have no desire to ever go back.

I love the climate and the natural beauty here (I've always loved clouds and rain; I miss the big summer thunderstorms in the Midwest, but I'm glad to be done with the bitter cold Michigan winters AND the sticky hot D.C. summers), and I appreciate that people tend to leave you alone. I don't care for the political scene here, but I've checked out from politics almost completely, so that part is fairly irrelevant to me.

YOU ARE LITERALLY SPEAKING THE WORDS OF MY HEART! My husband and I fell in love with Seattle last May when we visited! And we have very similar backgrounds as I am from Chicago lived there from birth to 19 and moved to MD/DE border but now I am currently in ID and plan to move to Seattle *crossing fingers* by May 1st!!

I do miss a good old scary thunder storm of the Midwest!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times
like the nature aspect of Seattle, hate the people

Old 03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

51 posts, read 77,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I'm from New Jersey. I went from this:

To this:

Need I say more?
Haha...you're pics are spun. You picked a picture of Seattle on a clear day with Mt Rainier actually visible, as opposed to most of the year when it's drizzling and/or overcast and dark.

Last edited by debyne; 03-14-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area