U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,280 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are looking for areas north of Seattle for apartments/condos/townhomes. What are the safest areas with the nicest neighborhoods? We're not from around here, so any advice will be very appreciated. We love Kirkland, but can't afford to live on the east side because we both work near Interbay and the toll on 520 would be way too expensive.

Suburb areas would be great, away from the crummy stretch of 99, but we don't know what areas are more upscale and the safest on the west side of Lake Washington. What do you think? If we work in Interbay, and we don't want to live in the city, would the Shoreline/Lynnwood/Edmonds work best?

Oh, and if any of you have any condo or townhome rental suggestions, please let me know. The places we've been finding have all gotten pretty bad ratings on apartmentratings.com and Yelp.

Thank you!

P.S. We love the dog park beach at Edmonds!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM

5,075 posts, read 10,327,230 times
Golden Gardens in the north end of Ballard has a good dog park and it's a straight shot down 15th to Interbay.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:15 PM

I've been looking through other threads on here and it seems a lot of people like Ballard. Is it safer than other surrounding areas, do you think? Thanks for the input!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsey2032 View Post
I've been looking through other threads on here and it seems a lot of people like Ballard. Is it safer than other surrounding areas, do you think? Thanks for the input!
Overall I consider it pretty safe with the exception of car prowls/theft in the denser areas near major roads. It seems to have less problems than neighborhoods adjacent to Aurora or I-5. I've lived in a number of other north seattle neighborhoods with significantly more crime (U district, northgate, wallingford/fremont/greenwood near Aurora). Bottom line, it's not an area where my wife or I worry about being out at night.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM

Is Queen Anne as pretty as it looks?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,531 posts, read 70,954,247 times
Yes, Queen Anne is great, especially upper, somewhat suburban compared to downtown but with lots of great shops and restaurants within walking distance of many homes. I also agree with Ballard, but if you want to be more suburban Shoreline, Edmonds, and parts of Lynnwood
away from the mall are good too. There are some nice quiet, trees areas of Edmonds west of 99 that are great, and more affordable than near downtown. Just be several blocks west of 99/Aurora.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,576,206 times
The west slope of Queen Anne is better-priced than the top or south parts. So is the north slope. Mainly because they're not as walkable, but they're close to Interbay and some of them have amazing views of Elliot Bay. Queen Anne is indeed lovely.

I also second/third the recommendation for Ballard. It's a neat area with a lot going on. Magnolia is also convenient, and can be surprisingly affordable for renting. It's maybe a little too quiet for some, but it's very safe.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,889,781 times
I agree with what others have said here. If you're both going to be working in the Interbay area, I'd stay close to work and concentrate your efforts on looking for a place on Queen Anne, Ballard, or Magnolia. It may be more difficult to find a place at the price you want in these areas but if you're diligent you may run into something within your price range. And, being close to work cuts down not only in commuting time but commuting expense --now with fuel prices where they're at-- which would give you more to budget on housing instead of fuel. Being closer to work gives you more time together. And being in the city, it provides more convenience to events at the Seattle Center, downtown, SODO, etc.

JMO and my opinion doesn't really mean that much and is pretty much worthless sometimes.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM

One other point - Queen Anne, Magnolia and Ballard (especially up by Golden Gardens) have some very suburban feeling neighborhoods. You don't have to go all the way up to shoreline or further to find safe, quiet tree filled areas.

If you want to get something slightly cheaper, both Crown Hill and Greenwood would be easy to commute from but don't cost quite as much. Caveat: Both areas are generally safe, but have some rougher edges near major arterials. Look for homes/apartments that aren't next to a 4+ lane road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area