Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM

4 posts, read 12,559 times

Advertisements

Is the Shoreline School Dist as good as the Northshore School Dist. I'm looking to purchase a home (I'm currently in Redmond). Both areas are attractive based on location to the City. I have 3 kids and MUST be in a good school district. Are there certain schools in either district to avoid?

Additionally, how does crime look in those areas. There's not a lot of crime here in Redmond. I want to be sure I'm moving somewhere safe as well.

All opinions welcome. Certain areas look good on paper but may not be so great in reality. I would love advise/ recommendations based on actual experience.

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 04:45 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
I'm not sure if you're giving enough information or not. The Northshore School District covers a lot of territory ...actually, so does Shoreline. Generally, Northshore has a much better reputation than the Shoreline School District but I've been away from it for so long from my teaching days and currently not having school-aged kids. So I'll let others more directly involved with schools give you a better reply.

Crime wise, you probably can't beat Redmond when comparing it with Shoreline. But again, you'll have to give more specific descriptions of the area as there are parts of Shoreline that may not be too bad. However, we all know just how bad it is in Shoreline along the 99-corridor.

Northshore, on the other hand, encompasses Bothell, Kenmore, Woodinville, North Creek, etc. which generally, are considered lower crime areas than Shoreline.

Again, specifics will be necessary to really narrow down comparisons of crime.

I'm sure you'll get more replies and opinions if you can narrow it down a bit.

JMO and my opinion means very little and isn't worth much.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
The Highlands in Shoreline may definitely not be too bad. Way better than Redmond, but pricier as well. You're not going to find many homes with water and mountain views out there that can compete with Shoreline.

Shoreline suffers from some deteriorated neighborhoods, especially in 98133. But like Seattle, it's one of those areas where the best neighborhoods are better than anything short of Bellevue/Sammamish/MI waterfront.

Say you're not willing to pony up the cash for a prime neighborhood - Northshore is the better bargain as far as schools are concerned.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:11 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
The Highlands in Shoreline may definitely not be too bad. Way better than Redmond, but pricier as well. You're not going to find many homes with water and mountain views out there that can compete with Shoreline.

Shoreline suffers from some deteriorated neighborhoods, especially in 98133. But like Seattle, it's one of those areas where the best neighborhoods are better than anything short of Bellevue/Sammamish/MI waterfront.

Say you're not willing to pony up the cash for a prime neighborhood - Northshore is the better bargain as far as schools are concerned.
Yes, very true. The Highlands is VERY exclusive. It used to be the place to live amongst the elite in the Seattle area. The areas immediately surrounding The Highlands are nice areas as are the areas along the shore of Puget Sound and most of Lake Forest Park, all in the Shoreline School District. The general Richmond Highlands area is safe and has relatively low crime but I guess it's that 99-corridor that gives it the bad reputation.

As I say, it's really difficult to generalize not knowing the specific neighborhood.

Again, my opinion only and NOT trying to discredit the opinions of others.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:55 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Before you get your heart set on The Highlands, it should be noted that The Highlands is filled with estates and is a bit of a co-op community almost. The homes are in the millions of dollars, so unless you're wealthy you simply can't afford to buy there. And that's IF a home is even for sale. Here is the cheapest home for sale in The Highlands right now: 143 Moss Road NW, Shoreline, WA 98177 | MLS# 442464 | Redfin

Old 03-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Both Shoreline and Northshore have good schools, I would consider Northshore the better of the two, but a step down from Redmond. In Northshore I would recommend the Woodinville
schools or Woodmore in Bothell as the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area