U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 AM

85 posts, read 180,903 times

Advertisements

there has been a change of plans yet again for me. I am planning on moving out my current neighborhood with mostly retirees /empty nesters around me.

I would ideally like to move to a cul-de-sac - smalllish 3 bd room place with a bit of a yard. One of the main reasons is that the neighborhood must have kids or at least be close to a park or something so my kid can have some friends - she is going to be a singleton I am afraid

I know there are all these places where people with kids like -, the schools are overflowing with them... so where ? Is there some place which lists out demographic info for neighborhoods like how many preschool kids etc., ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 12:36 PM

668 posts, read 852,723 times
Honestly, most of the neighborhoods in Bellevue, Redmond and Kirkland are comprised of older construction, so you will always have a mixed demographic of older and younger families. When we first moved into our neighborhood in the mid-80s, younger families were in the minority, since most of the original residents stayed in place. As time went on, their children grew up and they moved on. Younger families purchased nearly every home, and by the time my daughters were school age, there were kids on every block. Currently, this cycle is starting over once again, as our generation has now raised children and are starting to migrate, making way for yet another cycle of younger residents.

Regarding Redmond, Redmond Ridge probably has the highest percentage of young families, because of the newer construction and newer schools. Though the neighborhoods that surround Audubon Elementary on the Bellevue/Redmond border (Braeburn and Glen Eden, off West Lake Sammamish) have a sizeable population of young families and are located close to the NE Bellevue commercial district.

Anywhere on the East Side will be hit or miss as to who lives on your block. Not sure where you need to commute for work, but you may also want to check out Issaquah and Samammish. Mill Creek, up north has excellent housing values and a booming population of young families, but takes you far away from East Side burbs.

Best of luck in your search

Old 03-04-2013, 12:44 PM

668 posts, read 852,723 times
Just found this article for you. Hope it helps.

The Eastside: Where the families are, according to Seattle Met magazine - Seattle Family | Examiner.com

Old 03-04-2013, 12:58 PM

7,759 posts, read 14,909,586 times
I lived in the Lakemont/Summit area of Bellevue... in the neighborhood itself there really isn't a lot of kids playing about. Just on my mother's cul de sac alone, there's only one house with elementary age students. I'm sure there's more around because I see a groups of them in the mornings/afternoons (bus pick up/drop off).

Your best odds of seeing kids playing about is if you live close to a park (big or small). I always see lots of kids about in Lewis Creek Park, and a good amount in the Lakemont playground. Don't be quick to discount the small parks... my favorite one is the Idylwood Park on West Lake Sammamish and Lake Boren Park.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
37,963 posts, read 68,662,984 times
Newer areas of Sammamish, Klahanie, Issaquah Highlands (though small yards). the older parts of Sammamish are starting to turn over now, with empty nesters selling to young families. Especially around Mead and Smith Elementary schools.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:13 PM

1,643 posts, read 2,530,935 times
We lived int he Crossroads area for awhile. I know there were tons of kids in the neighborhood - I lived three blocks from the school and saw them walking home all the time, but once they were inside, they just as well might not exist. You'd never know a kid lived there. Halloween - not a single trick-or-treater. An area we lived where we saw tons of kids? Upper Queen Anne. Tons. Saw kids playing outside all the time. Bought 4 big-size variety packs for Halloween and ran out the first hour.

It's not enough to have kids living in the neighborhood. It has to be a place where they actually go outside and play. I'm sure there were probably as many kids in our old Crossroads neighborhood as Upper Queen Anne, but you'd never know it. I would never had thought that though. I've always thought of the eastside as more family-oriented.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 PM

7,759 posts, read 14,909,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
We lived int he Crossroads area for awhile. I know there were tons of kids in the neighborhood - I lived three blocks from the school and saw them walking home all the time, but once they were inside, they just as well might not exist. You'd never know a kid lived there. Halloween - not a single trick-or-treater. An area we lived where we saw tons of kids? Upper Queen Anne. Tons. Saw kids playing outside all the time. Bought 4 big-size variety packs for Halloween and ran out the first hour.

It's not enough to have kids living in the neighborhood. It has to be a place where they actually go outside and play. I'm sure there were probably as many kids in our old Crossroads neighborhood as Upper Queen Anne, but you'd never know it. I would never had thought that though. I've always thought of the eastside as more family-oriented.
That doesn't surprised me, but I think its also a trend thing as well. People either take their kids to neighborhoods that's very well known for being generous with the candies and spirits -OR- they go to their community centers, malls, et. c to do their Halloween there.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 PM

85 posts, read 180,903 times
Thank-you for your response. I have been looking at available homes and it appears that I would be able to get more for my money up north for sure, and its probably a higher likelihood of younger families who are just starting out, rather than families in Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland. However, I do want to be back in Bellevue, Redmond for the later grades and that area is my comfort zone for the moment. I also worry that the Bothell (another area in my radar due to proximity to work) schools may not be as good/rigorous for my daughter and extra cirriculars etc., may not be that available. Not sure about that.

Its funny I never gave it a second thought when I came across the world to this country eons ago, but now to move to a different city/state is a daunting prospect!

Perhaps quite a few of you have been to schools in the Bellevue Redmond kirkland area. Does the bulk of the student body tend to be the same from elementary on till high-school ? Of-course, there will be families moving in and out, but in general do the groups tend to be already formed or are there lots of new entrants into the schools in middle and high schools ?

I am looking for reasons to stay or move out in Bellevue,Redmond , kirkland area to Bothell from the perspective of raising a single child.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2013, 12:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,279,821 times
Most of the Bellevue schools have the following flow: 3-4 elementaries that feed into one middle school which feeds into one high school. So, I went to school with 25% of my classmates for all 12 years, and with 75% of them for middle and high school. During my school years there were very few kids that transferred in and out in the middle-high school years, but there was some transferring in/out between elementary-middle school. Don't know if that's changed at all, but I would imagine in that district it depends on which part of the city you're in; east Bellevue is very close to Microsoft, so those schools might have more turnover...

Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 AM

603 posts, read 813,172 times
Newer neighborhoods are the way to go if you are looking for younger families. The Issaquah Highlands area is especially good in that regard.
Many of the older communities here have families with older children and empty nesters. I have noticed that many young families are moving into the neighborhoods surrounding Microsoft campus in the Redmond/Bellevue area. Microsoft is on a hiring binge for international folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>