Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM

9 posts, read 13,939 times

Advertisements

DisRunR is correct. My hubs is in the union and we called out there to make sure there is work for him and there is. Still, even that has me nervous. I'm very responsible, I don't normally fly by the seat of my pants like this. Also, I'm a writer, so that I can do from home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM

9 posts, read 13,939 times
My point in naming the thread this was to say that we cannot pick a location to live based around a job since we don't know where that will be exactly.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:00 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisRunR View Post
My interpretation was that since he is in a union, there is most likely work lined up, or in the future as opposed to perhaps no work where they are now.
OP...I have seen rentals for just under $2K in Bothell on Craigslist. I have researched our top 2-3 areas, based on school districts. I searched this forum for threads on school districts, areas we were interested in. Then I did other searches online for additional info on areas, including parks/recreation. I also then checked rental property address on zillow, blockshopper, homes.com for the map and street views.
Well if that's the case and the Union rec's Des Moines... the odds could be that there's possibility of more work down south. OP, talk to the Union and see if they can at least give you the general idea of where the work is. If it turns out that you do indeed in the south area more often, Bothell is going to be a PITA commute for that.

Des Moines by the marina isn't too bad. Its got the waterfront, the lovely main street and the homes in that area are better cared for. Lots of kids around. Des Moines and Normandy Park actually have the better schools within the Highline School District. Definitely look into Normandy Park (which is next door to DM) as well. Normandy Park is a lovely community.

Since schools are a concern, look into eastern Renton and eastern Kent.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM

39 posts, read 60,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyeba View Post
DisRunR is correct. My hubs is in the union and we called out there to make sure there is work for him and there is. Still, even that has me nervous. I'm very responsible, I don't normally fly by the seat of my pants like this. Also, I'm a writer, so that I can do from home.
I can understand...my husband received a job offer and it's still an undertaking to find the right area and school district for your family. Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Well if that's the case and the Union rec's Des Moines... the odds could be that there's possibility of more work down south. OP, talk to the Union and see if they can at least give you the general idea of where the work is. If it turns out that you do indeed in the south area more often, Bothell is going to be a PITA commute for that.

Des Moines by the marina isn't too bad. Its got the waterfront, the lovely main street and the homes in that area are better cared for. Lots of kids around. Des Moines and Normandy Park actually have the better schools within the Highline School District. Definitely look into Normandy Park (which is next door to DM) as well. Normandy Park is a lovely community.

Since schools are a concern, look into eastern Renton and eastern Kent.
DisRunR<<<<<not a Seattle expert and nor do I play one here....lol
Inkpoe is correct about the locations...I just mentioned Bothell as OP mentioned it, from what I've learned from a short time on these forums, is location, location, location and how it affects commute to workplace.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM

19 posts, read 49,289 times
A commute from Redmond to Seattle is tough. VERY tough at rush hour.

I recommend Issaquah or Sammamish. It's about 25 minutes to downtown on a good day. A straight shot across the lake on I90. Even better if he can carpool and use the express lanes.

I am a teacher in the Issaquah sd and live in the Klahanie neighborhood. We love it here. We rent a 3+ bedroom house (1400sq ft) for $1800. Rentals go quickly here so I would watch Craigslist daily.

Don't go to Bothell. Long commute, boring neighborhoods with little else to do.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM

44 posts, read 54,051 times
Default union carpenter too

Construction is a whole different beast that is a lot like being a salesman. Everyday, we work towards the completion of a project and thus out of a job. If it's robust we all make plenty of money. When, the work is exhausted we suffer. But, we have the means to handle most anything to get by. The good graduates of hardknocks.
We shouldn't be confused with teachers and city workers. But, IMHO its the hardest working trade among them.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 AM

595 posts, read 2,701,744 times
We just moved to the area and ultimately decided on the Puyallup/South Hill area. DH works at Boeing Field so he has a bit of a commute. We rent for about $1800 a mth and the school is pretty good (8 of 10 on Great Schools site.) We wanted the Maple Valley or Issaquah area but couldn't find anything in our price range we liked. I'll be honest and say that we just couldn't get the size house we wanted in those areas for under 2K. So far we really love the neighborhood we are in. Might be worth a look if your DH is going to have to travel for work anyways.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:27 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoyle5 View Post
A commute from Redmond to Seattle is tough. VERY tough at rush hour.

I recommend Issaquah or Sammamish. It's about 25 minutes to downtown on a good day. A straight shot across the lake on I90. Even better if he can carpool and use the express lanes.

I am a teacher in the Issaquah sd and live in the Klahanie neighborhood. We love it here. We rent a 3+ bedroom house (1400sq ft) for $1800. Rentals go quickly here so I would watch Craigslist daily.

Don't go to Bothell. Long commute, boring neighborhoods with little else to do.
This is an old comment, but I wanted to reply. Not sure when the last time was that jdoyle5 did the commute from Sammamish or Issaquah to Seattle, but I can't imagine it is 25 minutes. My friends who live in Sammamish and Issaquah and work in Bellevue say it takes them a half-hour on most days. Add time for Seattle, particularly if you add in parking or if you work in the South Lake Union/Seattle Center/Queen Anne area. It can be hell just getting on/off I-5 at the Seattle downtown exits.

Bothell is also changing quite a bit, and I wouldn't say it's really any different from Sammamish and Issaquah in the "boring neighborhoods with little else to do" sense.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 AM

217 posts, read 411,324 times
I live in Issaquah and drive to Bellevue daily and Seattle several times a week. Bellevue is 30 minutes due to traffic. It can easily take an hour or longer to get home depending on timing. Seattle is 25-30 minutes depending on where I'm going.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:40 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
Agree. I drive from lower level of Issaquah Highlands (just 2 minutes from 90) to Bellevue College (about 5-7 minutes off of 90). I leave at 8:55 and it's a good day when I get to the college parking lot before 9:20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area