Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:28 PM

188 posts, read 515,711 times

Advertisements

1. places to grocery shop. I'm quite akin to Sprouts Farmers Market because their produce is great value (fresh and decently priced).
2. good (honest) mechanics for a Volkswagen.
3. any suggestions on doctors, dentists, and optometrists.
4. bike shops (the smaller the better).

I'm just posting all of those items in case someone has a great suggestion because great medical, auto, and bike servicers are hard to find! I'll be missing my mechanic, bike shop, and family doctor down here big time!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Anyone here spend at least 1/2 their week commuting to work on a bike? I already have a pretty good idea for what I'll need up there to keep dry(ish) and warm(ish), but I wanted some feedback on locks and the such since I know bike theft is pretty rampant downtown (although my office will be in the northeast corner of downtown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,049 times
I'll throw out a good VW repair shop. If you don't mind going into Redmond, you can't beat Redmond Werkshop (click here) ...in my opinion and it's my opinion only. They're extremely helpful, knowledgeable and honest. When I lived in the area, I'd take my Audi and VWs there as that was their specialty back then and really miss not having a shop like that in the places in now spend time.

You can find VW and German car repair places closer to west Bellevue but I would strongly recommend going to Redmond if you can.

Redmond Werkshop

Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
I'll throw out a good VW repair shop. If you don't mind going into Redmond, you can't beat Redmond Werkshop (click here) ...in my opinion and it's my opinion only. They're extremely helpful, knowledgeable and honest. When I lived in the area, I'd take my Audi and VWs there as that was their specialty back then and really miss not having a shop like that in the places in now spend time.

You can find VW and German car repair places closer to west Bellevue but I would strongly recommend going to Redmond if you can.

Redmond Werkshop

Good find, thanks! Redmond really isn't that far away from where I will be staying... I can always just bike to pick-up my car.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Gregg's bicycles is big but right in downtown Bellevue and has a great reputation, voted best bike shop in the Seattle area. The only really good grocery store in Bellevue is Uwajimaya, off 120th near NE 8th. Great produce, meat and seafood. It's an Asian Market so won't have some typical items but we drive 1/2 hour to go there. There are real farmer's markets in the summer in Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah and Sammamish. Forget Sammamish, Bellevue is weak on actual farm goods, Redmond is high priced. We go to the one in Issaquah every Saturday May-September. It's open April-October but not as much good produce early and late in the season.

www.uwajimaya.com/

Old 03-09-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Gregg's bicycles is big but right in downtown Bellevue and has a great reputation, voted best bike shop in the Seattle area. The only really good grocery store in Bellevue is Uwajimaya, off 120th near NE 8th. Great produce, meat and seafood. It's an Asian Market so won't have some typical items but we drive 1/2 hour to go there. There are real farmer's markets in the summer in Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah and Sammamish. Forget Sammamish, Bellevue is weak on actual farm goods, Redmond is high priced. We go to the one in Issaquah every Saturday May-September. It's open April-October but not as much good produce early and late in the season.

www.uwajimaya.com/
Keep them coming! Thanks!

Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

www.uwajimaya.com/
Uhhhh...QFC's flagship store/headquarters is in downtown Bellevue, and it has great everything. It's an amazing grocery store. OP, it's just north of Bellevue Square. A lot of people from outside Bellevue don't seem to know about this location.

Safeway's flagship store is also in downtown Bellevue, but their produce is nowhere near as good as the QFC. A little cheaper than QFC when it comes to other stuff, though. There is also a Whole Foods on 116th, just east of 405.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,029,049 times
I really liked Dr. Kenny at the Binyon office in downtown Bellevue for an optometrist. I was surprised to see he is still in practice (click here). I didn't like the optical department at the time so I sometimes went to another optometrist, Dr. Leherer whose office was right across from the new Uwajimaya location (Larry's Market at the time, NE 8th and 120th Ave NE) but when I went to look up his website, I didn't find it so I started researching and found that he had passed away in 2010 (at the age of 58 from pancreatic cancer). Too bad, he was a very good optometrist and a super nice guy who came highly recommended.

A good dentist is Karen Sakuma between downtown Bellevue and downtown Kirkland across the street (Lk. Washington Blvd) from Carillon Point where Lake Washington Blvd splits with Lakeview Drive. She has a "bossy" personality but is a very caring person and knows her stuff. --click, review site--

Again, only my opinions. Other may not agree and have other recommendations.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Uhhhh...QFC's flagship store/headquarters is in downtown Bellevue, and it has great everything. It's an amazing grocery store. OP, it's just north of Bellevue Square. A lot of people from outside Bellevue don't seem to know about this location.

Safeway's flagship store is also in downtown Bellevue, but their produce is nowhere near as good as the QFC. A little cheaper than QFC when it comes to other stuff, though. There is also a Whole Foods on 116th, just east of 405.
QFC looks to be more regional (so I have no experience with that company). Glad to hear they have a good selection... I avoid Whole Food (and their prices) like the plague!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
QFC looks to be more regional (so I have no experience with that company). Glad to hear they have a good selection... I avoid Whole Food (and their prices) like the plague!
QFC is Kroger, a higher priced Fred Meyer, and like Safeway but with slightly better quality and higher prices.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,859,898 times
I spend half my time in Bellevue and live there too. Downtown Bellevue to other parts of Bellevue such as Factoria, Crossroads and Overlake is probably under 10 mins drive outside of rush hour.

Trader Joe's and Haggen in the Crossroads area are worth a visit even if not near downtown Bellevue. Total Wine near Uwajimaya is a place you have to check out. Whole Foods is overpriced, but always bustling. We have two Wal Marts in Bellevue now, thankfully, but neither is in downtown Bellevue. Target also out there.

For doctors, dentists and optometrists, I do not see why you have to pick someone close by. Seattle is just 9 miles away and you might as well find the best one rather than the closest average one? My probably average dentist is near Crossroads (I visit him once a year) and my excellent optometrist recommendation is the owner of Phinney Ridge Eyecare (have not seen him in a year and a half). I can't recommend doctors as I see a different one each year for check-ups just out of curiosity/not being impressed by some. I liked Dr. Dudetsky in Bellevue, but it really depends on whether you have any specific condition or just want a check-up each year.

Bonus advice -- cheap haircuts at Evergreen Beauty School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area