Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 30,159 times

Advertisements

my family (husband and 3 small kids) and i are moving from reno, nv. we're really looking forward to moving to the general area, just need some insider info to help pin down our destination. we're even considering Vancouver, WA. we need comparison info from insiders! so, can anyone tell us:

best daycare and elementary schools?
low crime rate?
highest income?
most affordable housing?
convenient shopping/grocery stores?
restaurants and events for kids?
variety of grownup clubs - opera, blues or jazz?
most art opportunities for kids?
most famous musicians touring?
mountains close-by?
outdoor activities for kids and grownups?
advancement opportunities for African-American women?
openness or receptiveness of locals to interracial marriage/mixed kids?

also, how important is health and fitness to the city?

what employment industries are lacking qualified workers in these two cities - so we can see where we fit in employment-wise?

are they both primarily Democratic states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:43 PM

14 posts, read 38,292 times
I grew up in Portland and now live on the Eastside, working all over King County. Job-wise, Seattle is probably the better choice. It's a bigger city, more to choose from, but less affordable. However, Portland has a ton to offer as well, is really friendly, much smaller, and even more liberal than Seattle. I love Portland and still have many ties. Both cities are very open-minded, and albeit I am latina and I have a mixed child (since I'm not impartial), mixed-familes don't seem to be discriminated out here very often. When you get to smaller towns, anywhere in America, you will definitely find a higher redneck mentality, but both Seattle & Portland are the most tolerant cities I have ever been to and lived in, and I've been all over the south, New York, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho,Wyoming, Nevada, California, Oregon and Washington as well as a few countries. I'd check with local police departments for crime rates, meetup.com to meet new people and kudos to your new move!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,780 times
I agree, if race were the only issue, Seattle. For almost every other topic except employment, Portland. Better quality of life overall imo.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 AM

288 posts, read 1,328,878 times
Default Seattle without question

Comparing Seattle and Portland is not something you really want to do.

Portland is a small town. Seattle is a much bigger major city, with international and world recognition. Only thing they share in common is a region. Weather is a tossup.

For an African American women and every other point you listed. Seattle would be the better choice for you. Seattle has a sizable African American population, and also one of the mixed marriage, multicultural, and affluent variety. The city is very welcoming, friendly, tolerant, and accepting. My wife (who is black and white) goes on various outings with a group of affluent African American women from Mercer Island (an area in Seattle). By son’s best friend is Jewish, My daughter has two best friends, one is mixed black and white, the other is Jewish also. I work with, live around socialize with friends that range from Black, White Asian, Mexican, Jewish, and from all parts of the world. The region overall is very white. I’m African American mixed Black and French

I’m born and raised in Seattle, I have some family in Portland, and I live between Los Angeles (job reasons), and in Seattle on Mercer Island. (Main residence)

Only thing is Seattle is going to cost more than Portland, “but you get what you pay for. Higher cost of living in Seattle means more amenities, higher pay, better economy, bigger city, more things to do. Seattle has 3 major pro sports teams, a major University in the City limits, which is one of the best in the country (a public Ivy).

Seattle has a State of the art symphony hall in the middle of a huge beautiful downtown next to a world class Seattle Art Museum………. which is brand new.

Wonderful jazz club in Jazz alley, beautiful upscale restaurants, a 5 star Four Seasons being built, Cruise lines, ferries, boating, sailing all in the city limits. Not to mention another downtown across the floating bridges in Bellevue, for shopping and dining. You can go from that to not spending a dime, or minimal change by walking on the water front, or going to Kerry Park and looking at Seattle from the famous viewpoint with the space needle in the foreground. Then to one of my favorites…..Dick’s restaurant. (Hamburgers)

I took my family of Five……lol yes Five Downtown this past weekend, spent all day, walking around, went into the beautiful library, took the bus in the tunnel which is free downtown, went through the malls in the retail district, went to the waterfront, went into some of my favorite skyscrapers, City Centre, and 2 Union square, and paid only five dollars for parking, and 40 bucks for food, and my daughter told me when we got home, DAD that was one of the best times I’ve ever had with you. (And she’s been to Disneyland) Priceless.

You have fortune 500 companies all headquarter in the Seattle area……..Microsoft, Starbucks, Amazon, Nintendo, Google, the list goes on and on. By the way Hillary Clinton was here today. I’m looking forward for Barack Obama next.

Portland’s economy is almost nonexistent compared to Seattle.

I live on Mercer Island, where my children go to school, and I’ll tell you, pretty much any public school is top notch on the entire eastside of Seattle. Contrary to what people will tell you, Seattle has one of the best public schools systems of any major city hands down. The city in general is very intelligent, and intellectual. With low crime.

I’ve been all over the US, and Seattle is one of the best major cities in the US for all the right reasons not to mention it’s absolutely stunning to look at. You will be very happy in Seattle. By the way, half of my family in Portland has left to Seattle for what? You guessed it, JOBS, bigger city, better economy, more things to do. Remember being cheaper means nothing. It all evens out. Cheaper housing equals fewer jobs, and less pay in most cases.

I wish you the best of luck to you and your family, and welcome to the Pacific Northwest.

Moderator cut: photos deleted ...copyright issues, and also reposting select photos without giving credit to original poster

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-24-2007 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: post original content only! ...please!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:13 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
Portland is a far more liveable city than Seattle. They have a robust, working light rail system. Their street car system downtown is great. The new development in the Pearl District far surpasses any urban renewal projects that Seattle has undertaken.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
obviously, Monumental1 does not pay by the minute for a remote dial-up connection...

Seattle might be best for your requirements.
Though both cities are quite similar in many ways. Portland a bit easier to access the broad culture (physical size and public transport is ez'r)

basically
Portland = micro brews / beer (bit more laid back)
Seattle = coffee and wine (bit more hyper)

Both have good diversity, just larger in Seattle. And Seattle recreation is more water based being on the sound... The rivers are great in Portland, as well as access to Columbia Gorge. Oregon beach is quite nice and unique, but 1 hr away. Mountains about same distance, OR / SW WA is less crowded once you get out into nature

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 10-23-2007 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 01:53 PM

30 posts, read 145,755 times
I think seattle has more "jazz" if you will.. definitely more appeal, but from my reasearch portland is a much more realistic undertaking.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 AM

Red face SEATTLE is in a league of its own

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Portland is a far more liveable city than Seattle. They have a robust, working light rail system. Their street car system downtown is great. The new development in the Pearl District far surpasses any urban renewal projects that Seattle has undertaken.
Portalnd should be compared to Salt Lake City not Seattle. Seattle, is way bigger, world class, and has more to offer, hands down.

If you are moving out west and want to be in a big city, with a great economy, culture, amenities, and everything you can think of. Seattle, and San Francisco would be the two cities you would compare North of Los Angeles.

Seattle's Light rail is almost complete, and will go from Downtown Seattle to Sea-Tac airport. Seattle has a subway, So rail will be underground Downtown, and elevated most of the way Some 14 miles through the city to the airport, with only the middle part of the line at grade, and will run every 5 or 6 minutes. There is already in place a double decker heavy rail system that runs all the way through the region up the I-5 corridor from Everett to Tacoma, with stops at the major sporting venues in the greater seattle area. A monorail that goes from the space needle to the Retail core in downtown Seattle, A street car that goes from south lake union to the retail core, and buses on practically every street. I have two cars, and sometimes I don't drive, because the bus system is that good, and well maintained.

Seattle will always have more development more construction, more amenities than Portland, based on the fact, it is much bigger, a quantum leap better economy, more demand, wealthier, the list goes on and on. In every section of the Seattle Metro, there is building going on, from the hoods in Rainier Valley, To the Upscale Downtown Seattle, on across the Lake into Bellevue. I live on mercer island, and Have tower cranes right out my window. You've have got to be kidding me?

There really shouldn't be any comparing Seattle and Portland like I said, there really is no comparison. Seattle is in a whole other league compared to Portland, it is what it is. Now coming from a little town, Portland might be ok for you, but looking for big city amenities, low crime, intelligent populaion, prosperious population, vibrant city, great schools, strong economy, fortune 500 companies, natural beauty, diverse, etc. etc. Seattle is one of the best big cities in the entire US to live in, bar none! Very good for women, on top of all that. Women do quite well in Seattle, and hold very prominent positions in the community, and are very well respected. Just a little FYI for the female who started this thread.

Moderator cut: photos deleted --copyright issues on some of the pictures posted ...image transfers from other sites other than your own (and in their original form) are not allowed

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-24-2007 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: orginal content only, please.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:29 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,044,161 times
Let's get back to answering the OP's questions, please.

Good point about not posting too many pictures in a thread or to use a link instead. However, a member also has the ability to change settings so that pictures do not show. If such a change in settings is done, you'll only see links to those pictures. I recommend this setting to those who are on dial-up.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:00 PM

Moderator cut: comments orphaned ...posts that you are referring to have been deleted

Portland is a town. Comparing it to Seattle really isn't fair to Portland. Because Portland is in the same region as Seattle, is why people who have never been to either ask for a comparison. Portland is more on the level of maybe Salt Lake City. Seattle or San Francisco would be a more balanced comparison as they both are large cities, with all the amenities to go with it.

I'm not knocking Portland, it is ok for a small city, and I would probably perfer it over Salt Lake City. Like I said, if you are into smaller cities, with that little town feel, and slower pace of life. Than Portland might be a good choice. Now if you want that pulse, that vibe, that bit of jazz in the air. The world spins a whole lot faster in Seattle.

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-24-2007 at 09:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area