Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:32 PM

11 posts, read 16,366 times

Advertisements

After perusing Craigslist and seeing how highly everyone thinks of their (often ugly or gross) used crap, and refusing to get a second-hand sofa/love seat, I've come to the conclusion that we're just going to have to buy everything new. Where are the best places with the highest quality and lowest prices?

Here's a rundown of what we need: (basically everything but mattress and box springs)

Bed frame
Smaller wide dresser
Sofa and love seat
Recliner
Table and two chairs
TV stand
Two bookcases
Coffee table
End tables
Floor lamp
Sofa table
Display shelves or dresser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 09:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We have been happy with J R Furniture in Lynnwood, and at the Macy's Furniture on NE24th in Redmond. Both have good sales at times.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 PM

164 posts, read 430,336 times
Macy's has a furniture outlet in South Center. West Elm in South Lake Union is excellent for desks, tables, chairs, storage, and accessories. There's also Crate & Barrel and Room & Board in University Village for slightly higher priced items. Ikea is of course the old standby for good and cheap items. Their beds are great.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:03 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times
I just moved here and posted a similar question on this forum about where to find good deals on nice furniture in Seattle. I ended up having some luck with Ballard Consignment and buying off Craigslist. I have found the very best deals for good solid stuff is off Craigslist buying direct from owners. You can pay a fraction of the price for high quality stuff vs. buying new in furniture stores. It takes time but is worth it I think. I also found a guy that hand makes this really cool custom re-finished antique Oak hardwood furniture out of all of these spare parts of Oak antique furniture he finds. And very reasonably priced. PM me if you want his info.

I personally like quality made solid wood stuff that has style. I don't like most of the stapled together particle board mass produced garbage in a most new furniture stores. What I love about this Oak antique furniture guy is he's local, it's recycled old oak wood, it's super unique, and it's low cost. I think it's so cool that I'm eating off a refinished antique Oak table that was around 100 yrs ago and I'm still enjoying it. Versus some piece of crap from Ikea made in China that will be in the trash can in 3 years.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:47 PM

39 posts, read 60,813 times
Furniture World in Lynwood)

Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
I buy a lot of furniture from Costco (both at the warehouse and online).

Otherwise I just go to local / chain type places that aren't too crazy expensive but have decent enough qualify for me like Crate & Barrel, Ethan Allen, etc.

I stay away from IKEA.

And I wasn't all that impressed with Thomasville and Henredon in Bellevue (Lincoln Square)...seemed overpriced.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Strange CL isn't working for you, that's my no. 1 go-to on bargain household goods. I'm not one for spending more than necessary, but don't buy junk under any circumstances. Guess you've gotta be patient. One can clean up on deals if as patient as a cat waiting in tall grass for the right morsel to hop by.

One stop shopping for generally good quality and generally-fair prices is Dania. There are several in greater Seattle. I don't know where on the continuum they reside...mostly modern stuff, and some of it is indeed rather pricey (subjectively). But I have a lot of it and my home is well-done, and the furniture seems to be wearing well over time.

IKEA has a number of tasteful items, and unfortunately more than a little on the other (bad) end, too. Poke around, examine the craftsmanship of specific items, decide if it works in your situation. Go on a couple of recon missions first before buying. I have various IKEA items (shelves, bookcase or three, lamps, lighting) that were good-to-great deals and look great, too.

IKEA, Dania, Craig's List, and Value Village are my four primary go-to's for non-ghetto furniture, knick-knacks, etc. eBay for smaller niche items.

Frankly, based on your list and if time and money are big concerns, IKEA might just be one-stop shopping for a tasteful, modest setup. Would bet you can put together everything on your list for $5K from IKEA, quick calc in Excel and based on prices I observed last weekend while shopping for a writing desk. YMMV.

Same thing from Dania, double that estimate.

CL, with ruthless patience (no time limit), $4K for decent stuff.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:45 PM

23 posts, read 48,600 times
Just posted a thread asking about favorite antique consignment places. Been looking at Ballard Consignments as well as Classic Consignment. Looking for anyone's experience at either (or another recommendation) - as a SELLER. Thanks!

Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Another good consignment place is Found Interiors. For new stuff I like Sansaco near Southcenter. There's also a place in Kirkland that sells furniture that's been used for staging...Home Staging and Design Network, I think?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:14 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Consign Design in Interbay has some nice stuff. They also sell new furniture at good prices. Bella Ocho is just down the street and I have had some luck there but it is more hit or miss. Sometimes craiglist just makes me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area