Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times

Advertisements

So, being a native of Southern CA, I took a fair number of trips down to Tijuana. Everyone in SoCal knows if you're going to TJ, you park on the US side of the border, and walk over, catching public transportation in Mexico. I believe this is because the rate of car theft is really high, and the corruption of the police is legendary.

I'm just wondering if there's any concerns with driving into Vancouver (not the police corruption, but the risk of a car being stolen).

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I want to go up and visit Canada after I get our passports.

Thanks!

V. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:20 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
No issues at all. However I'm sure the Canadians will get a good laugh out of you comparing Vancouver to TJ.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
The biggest concern with driving into Vancouver is the traffic. It can be awful.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:32 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
We've always taken our cars without any concerns... but our trips also included going out of Vancouver and into other towns up there.

If you're planning on staying within Vancouver, with perhaps shuttles out to Capilano (free!) or other attractions... At least you can leave the car here and take the train up to Vancouver.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
So, being a native of Southern CA, I took a fair number of trips down to Tijuana. Everyone in SoCal knows if you're going to TJ, you park on the US side of the border, and walk over, catching public transportation in Mexico. I believe this is because the rate of car theft is really high, and the corruption of the police is legendary.

I'm just wondering if there's any concerns with driving into Vancouver (not the police corruption, but the risk of a car being stolen).

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I want to go up and visit Canada after I get our passports.

Thanks!

V. =)
are you serious? How can you even compare Tijuana to anything in Canada? I have been there more than 10 times and never had any problems.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,853,558 times
I wasn't really comparing the two places, I just know that taking your car into Mexico is ill-advised because it's a foreign country. I had no idea if this was true of other foreign countries or not. I know Canada is very safe, and is like the antithesis of TJ. However, I'd rather be well-informed when driving into a foreign country, rather than being a stereotypical stupid American.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
I wasn't really comparing the two places, I just know that taking your car into Mexico is ill-advised because it's a foreign country. I had no idea if this was true of other foreign countries or not. I know Canada is very safe, and is like the antithesis of TJ. However, I'd rather be well-informed when driving into a foreign country, rather than being a stereotypical stupid American.
The rate of car theft in Canada actually is a little higher then the US, but I'd just take normal precautions. Vancouver's a weird city, it's nice pretty much everywhere in the metro and the downtown is super upscale, all milionaires, but there's one really bad (but not particularly dangerous) neighbourhood right in the middle of all that wealth, the Downtown East Side, where there's lots of social services all concentrated and where all the homeless and drug addicts live, that resists gentrification somewhat successfully through political means. It's only about a dozen blocks, if you don't park there you're totally fine. One thing is parking downtown can be a bit expensive (as anywhere) so you might want to ditch the car somewhere near a skytrain station and then explore with public transit, since it might save a little on parking. If you want to be going alot of different places using the car though, by all means take it downtown.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We go up once or twice a year, in fact plan to go this summer again. Never had a bit of trouble other than a 45 minute wait at the border coming back on a Sunday. We spend more time in Victoria, and Granville Island than downtown.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 AM

297 posts, read 1,035,193 times
You have nothing to worry about, Veronika. WE are the TJ to Vancouverites!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:51 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Quote:
Driving your car into Mexico is ill-advised because IT IS MEXICO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area