Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 07:22 AM

895 posts, read 1,704,184 times

Advertisements

Most people in Seattle are aware that there is somwhat of a rivalry between Seattle and Portland. I thought it would be beneficial to outline some of the reasons why I prefer the Emerald city.

1. The "liberal" vibe is much less abrasive in Seattle that in Portland. I feel like people in Seattle are much more open minded rather than strictly clinging to liberal pretentsions. Because of this, I think Seattle attracts more down to earth and less high and mighty people. Although conservatives are not necessarily held in high regard; I feel like the city leans libertarian in some aspects, which is a good thing for moderates like me.
2. The aesthetics are better in Seattle. Overall, I found Seattle to be much cleaner than Portland. The homeless problem seemed to be less apparent and there was less garbage on the streets. I also found the architecture to be more modern and well kept.
3. The tech industry is more prominent in Seattle. This factor leads to an increase in intelligent and "in the know" people. There is a higher education attainment rate overall in Seattle.

The vibe in Seattle is much more pleasant to me overall. Thoughts/opinions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 AM

30,392 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Most people in Seattle are aware that there is somwhat of a rivalry between Seattle and Portland. I thought it would be beneficial to outline some of the reasons why I prefer the Emerald city.

1. The "liberal" vibe is much less abrasive in Seattle that in Portland. I feel like people in Seattle are much more open minded rather than strictly clinging to liberal pretentsions. Because of this, I think Seattle attracts more down to earth and less high and mighty people. Although conservatives are not necessarily held in high regard; I feel like the city leans libertarian in some aspects, which is a good thing for moderates like me.
2. The aesthetics are better in Seattle. Overall, I found Seattle to be much cleaner than Portland. The homeless problem seemed to be less apparent and there was less garbage on the streets. I also found the architecture to be more modern and well kept.
3. The tech industry is more prominent in Seattle. This factor leads to an increase in intelligent and "in the know" people. There is a higher education attainment rate overall in Seattle.

The vibe in Seattle is much more pleasant to me overall. Thoughts/opinions are welcome.
Having lived in both, I prefer Seattle also but Portland has its charms. Regarding comment #1, what I have said is that Portland has "true believers" who do not compromise thier ideals while Seattle is liberal but not so much if it gets in the way of profit/enterprise. Have you ever seen Portlandia? Pretty good satire on Portland mentality.

The other thing I love about Seattle and Washington is no state income tax....I've saved probably $300K in state income tax since moving from Oregon to Washington. In general Seattle just has a better economy.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
I think Seattle is better in almost every objective way. Seattle is easily one of the best places in the country if you can stomach the weather. But somebody from or familiar with Portland would have no surprises there.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,483,022 times
One good thing about Portland: they know how to have fun! The strip clubs down there are far and away better, and they have Cuban restaurants there!

Still, I love Seattle ... it is home, y'know?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,871 times
Well, strip clubs are an important factor when making a relocation decision, falling somewhere between schools and access to transportation.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Well, strip clubs are an important factor when making a relocation decision, falling somewhere between schools and access to transportation.
True, they are everywhere for whatever reason. Most of them are not anything to get worked up about though. It ain't top flight talent like you see in Vegas as far as the girls go...lots of trashy chicks with too many tattoos and meth habits. One place in Milwaukie serves a dynamite 8oz bacon wrapped filet for $10.50 though (What!)

Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,483,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
You might have a chuckle about it, but I have heard of people moving for stranger reasons than strip clubs.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,943 times
Lol...and pot. Don't forget pot! Maybe WA legalized pot so that you wouldn't notice how bad their strip clubs were?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 AM

872 posts, read 2,030,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Having lived in both, I prefer Seattle also but Portland has its charms. Regarding comment #1, what I have said is that Portland has "true believers" who do not compromise thier ideals while Seattle is liberal but not so much if it gets in the way of profit/enterprise. Have you ever seen Portlandia? Pretty good satire on Portland mentality.

The other thing I love about Seattle and Washington is no state income tax....I've saved probably $300K in state income tax since moving from Oregon to Washington. In general Seattle just has a better economy.
$300,000 in state income tax alone? Holy crap! What do you do for a living?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Lol...and pot. Don't forget pot! Maybe WA legalized pot so that you wouldn't notice how bad their strip clubs were?
No. It's Portland Oregon with all the strip clubs. I can't say we don't have the pot, but Portland clearly has the lead in strip clubs. We can do better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area