Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 AM

20 posts, read 65,240 times

Advertisements

All of a sudden we're moving! We have been in Phoenix for 8 years so moving with 4 kids is going to be huge! I've scoured every scrap of advice I can get about suburbs from the web but we're unique--we don't want amenities or a city feel. We want land to build a little organic farm, and we're willing to commute for the right location. There are beautiful properties in Granite Falls but there are mixed reviews of the community on these forums. Does anyone who lives there want to venture a more recent opinion (other threads are years old). We can get fewer acres for more $ in Kent. We're focusing on places that are a quick ride to the Sounder train (figure commute would be more pleasant than hazarding the roads). Any suggestions on nice ag-friendly towns within 1.5 hours of downtown? I'm concerned about schools/crime/commute to Seattle during traffic. We'll be down next weekend but are overwhelmed with trying to pick a place to raise our family (husband loved growing up on Bainbridge but wow too pricey!) We could afford up to $550K but would love to get land as cheaply as possible ($200k range) so we can build an awesome house. The more acres, the better but we'd settle for 5. Truly, I'd appreciate ANY input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 06:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
The farther out you go the lower the prices. I would recommend looking at Monroe/Snohomish to the north, Maple Valley/Auburn to the south. If you are willing to go past Bainbridge, Port Orchard, Seabeck, or Poulsbo.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 AM

Thanks! I'll look closer at those communities, except Kitsap County seems to be extremely farmer-unfriendly (though my spouse would love to take the ferry to work They have extremely restrictive policies. I have 10 chickens on my 1/3 acre subdivision lot here in Phoenix; I couldn't legally have them on an acre in Poulsbo because the stocking density regulations are so stringent. King county seems good (every lot in Seattle can legally have a few chickens) and Snohomish encourages agriculture outright.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I was thinking produce more than livestock. Sound like this place in Port Angeles would be great for you, though it's a bit of a haul to the city (close to 3 hours).

126 Phinn Port Angeles, WA 98362 | 264153 | Coldwell Banker

Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM

Thanks! The property looks beautiful! I'll have to take a closer look at that area!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM

403 posts, read 681,438 times
Ninety minutes from downtown you could look as far north as Mt. Vernon. Coming closer in maybe look at the Arlington/Stanwood areas. I used to live in Marysville and there are some small chunks of land around that area. The Stillaguamish and Skagit valleys have some of the best farmland in Western WA. If I can ever escape Houston to get back up to the Pac NW, I would love to live up in the Skagit Valley area. Good luck with things and I envy you.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:00 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W014474 View Post
All of a sudden we're moving! We have been in Phoenix for 8 years so moving with 4 kids is going to be huge! I've scoured every scrap of advice I can get about suburbs from the web but we're unique--we don't want amenities or a city feel. We want land to build a little organic farm, and we're willing to commute for the right location. There are beautiful properties in Granite Falls but there are mixed reviews of the community on these forums. Does anyone who lives there want to venture a more recent opinion (other threads are years old). We can get fewer acres for more $ in Kent. We're focusing on places that are a quick ride to the Sounder train (figure commute would be more pleasant than hazarding the roads). Any suggestions on nice ag-friendly towns within 1.5 hours of downtown? I'm concerned about schools/crime/commute to Seattle during traffic. We'll be down next weekend but are overwhelmed with trying to pick a place to raise our family (husband loved growing up on Bainbridge but wow too pricey!) We could afford up to $550K but would love to get land as cheaply as possible ($200k range) so we can build an awesome house. The more acres, the better but we'd settle for 5. Truly, I'd appreciate ANY input!
your out of luck in the Seattle area. The suburbs are all triky-tacky tract developments. You'll have to look for such places on the east side of the Cascades, like Ellensburg, Winachee or Yakima.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Look to South King County (Auburn, Black Diamond, Covington, Enumclaw, Maple Valley/Ravensdale et. c) and Pierce County (Buckely, Graham, Sumner, Puyallup, Orting). Land is cheaper and taxes are lower than up north. Plus, the Southern line trains are much more reliable than up north.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Look to South King County (Auburn, Black Diamond, Covington, Enumclaw, Maple Valley/Ravensdale et. c) and Pierce County (Buckely, Graham, Sumner, Puyallup, Orting). Land is cheaper and taxes are lower than up north. Plus, the Southern line trains are much more reliable than up north.
I was just going to post almost exactly the same thing. Kent still has some rural areas too.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the input, guys! Is Granite Falls still Methville or have they cleaned things up? I just read about the former mayor's arrest in 2010 for drug dealing...scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area