U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,890 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am new to this forum and I am looking for some information on positions in the software quality assurance field. I am currently a software quality assurance analyst II (I know that this title has also been interchanged with sqa analyst, software tester, software engineer in test, software quality engineer) and I am looking for some answers to a few questions.

Here is some background on myself: I have been a SQA Analyst for the last 6.5 years. I am still a II but working to become a Senior level either this year or next (I am about 70-80% there with duties that I perform at my current job). I graduated with my Bachelor's in Computer Information Systems back in 2004 but it took me a few years to figure out that testing is what I wanted to do.

1. Is this a fairly popular position in the Seattle/Redmond/Bellevue/etc area?

2. If it is a popular position, should I be worried about finding an opening? And if it it not popular, should I look into moving into a Development position instead? I enjoy testing but would be willing to move into this type of work since it is closely related and earning my degree covered the basics of programming languages.

3. I have seen a lot of openings in the area for a Software Design Engineer in Test. From reading the descriptions, it appears that you must have software engineer experience and then become a tester. In my experience (at least where I am working currently) a lot of the developers wouldn't dream of being a tester (although again, I think they are closely related...since a good engineer should also unit test). SI this position (Software Design Engineer in Test) a good position to apply for or am I just way off here?

These were just some questions I wanted to throw out there. If there is another thread on this forum that discusses it, I would be glad to read about it in the interest of saving time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM

570 posts, read 1,634,723 times
we don't have many SQA in the Eastside. WE only have SDET because in MS, they don't a lot manual testing. It's all about test automation. You can try SDET because I know one guy in Windows team, just run the same automation everyday and that's his job. In most case, you are expected to do code review(devs' code), write test cases, then the automation code, meeting and more meeting. When there is a code change, you then have to run your bvt automation.

Last edited by spotlesseden; 03-26-2013 at 02:09 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 09:55 PM

563 posts, read 1,611,966 times
SDETs require coding skills - majority of the ones at MSFT have computer science degree, and can do C++ or C#. Maybe with entry level positions you can get away with not knowing either, but would be good to have some degree of coding skill set. Not sure what requirements are at other companies like Amazon, Nordstrom, etc. They may have lower requirements.

Regardless, just spam your resume to as many places as you can, you'll eventually get contacted by a recruiter who will be able to tell you what kind of positions you would be qualified for.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,890 times
Thanks to everyone for the information. I actually have a Bachelors in Computer Information Systems (which some people consider different than a Computer Science degree and some consider the same...I guess it's all in who you talk to). I took programming classes including C++, Java and VB.net. I haven't technically "coded" in the working world but I do have to review code if and when I find defects. I currently run automation tests using QTP but I haven't coded in it yet.

I think your idea of spamming recruiters is a good idea because they will be able to help gauge where I would be a good fit.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 AM

570 posts, read 1,634,723 times
for MS, you have to do coding test on whiteboard even for a test position. Be prepare if they use you for interview.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 PM

563 posts, read 1,611,966 times
sounds like you may be better fit for IT/Ops type of position as opposed to engineering, something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area