Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:24 AM

188 posts, read 515,603 times

Advertisements

I just moved here to the Pugeot Sound area and currently rent in South Bellevue. Rent is kind of atrocious right now with that preceding condo craze building fury. Are there any areas in Seattle, north of, west of, or south of that aren't hugely popular, might look a little run down, but are safe? I don't need to live around a ton of amenities since I have a bus pass, bike, and car. Just looking for something a little less than $1300/mo for a tiny one bedroom! I'd be perfectly happy to spend $1500/mo if it was a 2 or 3 bedroom house, but I'm trying to stay downsized at the moment because I'm still paying for a mortgage from the state I came from!

People at my office have mentioned areas like Columbia City, Magnolia, Bothell, and Beacon Hill. I don't care about schools as I have no children (it's just the two of us)... I just don't want to live somewhere so cheap I have to be worried about getting burglarized or shot!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
Do you work in Bellevue? Any savings by moving might be quickly eaten up by the time/dollars involved in commuting. There is no where in the Seattle area I'd worry about getting shot ... burglaries happen everywhere, even in Bellevue.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 39,830 times
Maple Leaf/Northgate area is very safe and you can find cheap apartments there.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:23 PM

299 posts, read 666,545 times
Renton often gets a bad rap and isn't the hippest place to live, but it's generally cheaper than other parts of the Seattle area. There are some nice parts of Renton that are very safe but you'd have a lengthy commute if you work in DT Seattle or even Bellevue. I've lived in Renton for the last 2 years and my only real complaint is the long commute and bad traffic. Seems like I spend half of my day in my car.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Do you work in Bellevue? Any savings by moving might be quickly eaten up by the time/dollars involved in commuting. There is no where in the Seattle area I'd worry about getting shot ... burglaries happen everywhere, even in Bellevue.
I work downtown in Seattle... just near the northern part of downtown. I don't drive (or as little as I can possibly bear) so I bike to the bus or just bike into work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firion View Post
Maple Leaf/Northgate area is very safe and you can find cheap apartments there.
Thanks for the info! I'll look into that area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
Renton often gets a bad rap and isn't the hippest place to live, but it's generally cheaper than other parts of the Seattle area. There are some nice parts of Renton that are very safe but you'd have a lengthy commute if you work in DT Seattle or even Bellevue. I've lived in Renton for the last 2 years and my only real complaint is the long commute and bad traffic. Seems like I spend half of my day in my car.
How are the bus lines down there? I'm riding the Sound Transit Express right now and it's a perfect commute! If there is anything similar, that would be great, but I would agree that Renton is kind of far.

As far as houses to rent are concerned, has anyone run into smaller homes renting for about $1500 a month?

Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Renton is physically a large city. I took the bus into DT Seattle for years, and it was about a 25 minute bus ride to Pioneer Square. The 101 is an express bus, and I picked it up down the hill from my house. Other parts of Renton will be further.
....Do you think you can find the house for 1500 or less in other parts of Bellevue like Crossroads or Newport Hills?
And up north, I think the least expensive homes will be in Mountlake Terrace, with Lynnwood just a little pricier, then Kenmore, Bothell, Lake Forest Park. All of those places have express buses into downtown.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Renton is physically a large city. I took the bus into DT Seattle for years, and it was about a 25 minute bus ride to Pioneer Square. The 101 is an express bus, and I picked it up down the hill from my house. Other parts of Renton will be further.
....Do you think you can find the house for 1500 or less in other parts of Bellevue like Crossroads or Newport Hills?
And up north, I think the least expensive homes will be in Mountlake Terrace, with Lynnwood just a little pricier, then Kenmore, Bothell, Lake Forest Park. All of those places have express buses into downtown.
I'm searching around some more and finding a few oddballs that are under the $1500 mark which is encouraging! Some were in the Kenmore, Bothell, Lake Forest Park and some were even in the Columbia City area. I looked at West Seattle as well but they are still a bit pricey with quite a few refusing to allow dogs (no idea why!).

I know that there may be some in the Bellevue area... but I just don't want to move too much further north in Bellevue because it makes my commute longer and the available stores get pricier! South Bellevue has great access to Factoria so shopping is cheap! I did notice though that prices (i.e. gas and food) in areas like Magnolia and Queen Anne were much cheaper than Bellevue. However, I have no interest in trying to find a home there... just too expensive and quite congested!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Most of crown hill and greenwood are safe and convenient. Both have some ragged edges, but mostly it's regular quiet streets with not yet yuppified houses.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:57 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarichter View Post
I'm searching around some more and finding a few oddballs that are under the $1500 mark which is encouraging! Some were in the Kenmore, Bothell, Lake Forest Park and some were even in the Columbia City area. I looked at West Seattle as well but they are still a bit pricey with quite a few refusing to allow dogs (no idea why!).

I know that there may be some in the Bellevue area... but I just don't want to move too much further north in Bellevue because it makes my commute longer and the available stores get pricier! South Bellevue has great access to Factoria so shopping is cheap! I did notice though that prices (i.e. gas and food) in areas like Magnolia and Queen Anne were much cheaper than Bellevue. However, I have no interest in trying to find a home there... just too expensive and quite congested!
Columbia City is a nice area with a new PCC arriving in the next couple of years. Easy bus ride downtown or walk a few blocks to the light rail.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Columbia City is a nice area with a new PCC arriving in the next couple of years. Easy bus ride downtown or walk a few blocks to the light rail.
Thanks for confirming that! It seems there are a few places down there that are affordable. I may just stay where I am if rent doesn't go up... rather pay less even for a tiny older place than pay more for space I don't necessarily need! I assume the area between Columbia City/Beacon Hill and Renton is kind of off limits, yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area