Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 04:44 PM

195 posts, read 377,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I was planning to talk to them as soon as possible and I also think he's a reasonable person.

I've been living there almost 3 years (Belmont Ave and Olive Way) in CH and he only put the rent up by $50 once. So I assume if he rented it out now to a new tenant he could actually charge quite a bit more but then I am not totally certain about the market price development in that area.
Are you sure you're not considered month to month at that point then ? I dont know 100% how it is here in WA but unless you signed successive new yearly leases, i thought you defaulted to month-to-month ?

EDIT: It's also interesting how people can go from "reasonable" to irrational when there is money involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM

507 posts, read 1,668,798 times
I signed a 12-months contract when I first moved in, After that ran out I was month to month for almost a year but last November he asked me to sign a new contract with the $50 increase.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM

46 posts, read 164,729 times
The landlord can charge you until the lease is up but cannot double charge. In most cases YOU will have to find somebody to take over your lease. If you look on craigslist there are many people trying to break their leases by finding people to rent their apartments. You might have to make concessions like paying a couple hundred dollars of the rent (charging somebody $1200 of the $1500 rent, you lose $300 a month). Nobody really wants to come into an apartment mid-lease because the landlord can raise the rent sooner and the security deposit would be super iffy.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM

yeah, but at the same time you might be able to get a really good rate at least for a few months, right?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 AM

46 posts, read 164,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
yeah, but at the same time you might be able to get a really good rate at least for a few months, right?

I just got a new apartment and I completely wrote off anybody looking to break their lease; that is just me though. It might work out for somebody else but I would talk to the landlord now and start trying to fill the apartment.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:45 AM

For anyone interested: I contacted my landlord and it seems he really is a reasonable person. He said breaking a lease in a good market is not a big deal. If I'd be willing to move out 3 or 4 days before month end, so they've got time to clean before the next person moves in there would be no cost to me. He said that in theory I could lose my deposit if they'd not find anyone to move in but that hasn't happened the four times somebody broke a lease at this apartment. Sounds all good :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: