U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 10:49 PM

5 posts, read 11,395 times

Advertisements

Aloha Everyone,
I am planning to move to Seattle in a few months and want to know the best places to live. I am profesional (and going to grad school) with animals; so, I am looking for a 2 BR home to rent. I love to do all sorts of activities. No need to live directly in the city of Seattle, but a good suburb is nice as long as rent is reasonable. I am looking for work in Seattle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,859,463 times
Can you be more specific? "The best places to live" may be different from one person to another depending on exactly what is more important. Are you going to grad school at UW? Is it important to live in a place that has good transit to whatever school you'll be going to? ...or does it matter? Will you be looking for work in downtown Seattle? What do you consider "reasonable" rent?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:53 PM

I am a nurse, looking to work in town. Interviewing for Swedish and Harborview. I was told by the nurse calling me that Capitol Hill, Northgate, Phinney Ridge, Ballard, Freemont, Mapleleaf, Crown Hill, and Greenwood are nice areas. I want to find a place where I can feel safe and not in a higher risky crime area. I am going to school online. Of course living here in Hawaii the cost of living is higher than your salary usually because everything is shipped in. I was told if I make the same hourly rate in Seattle opposed to here in Hawaii, I will be doing well. I pay $1700/mo for a 2 bedroom 1 bath on North Shore..nothing fancy, but I like it. I would think i could find a decent 2 BR 1 Ba house for less. Hope this helps. And thanks for repsonding.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:20 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,181,339 times
Funny, I just moved to Maui after living in Seattle for 33 years. And where we lived was Phinney Ridge. What you say about it being cheaper on the mainland vs. Hawaii is generally true, except for Seattle housing. Seattle housing is pretty much on par with Maui. Apartments will be cheaper than a house. All the neighborhoods you listed are good, safe places to live. Northgate is safe but not really very attractive area. Of course I am partial to Phinney, which has very easy bus access to downtown and you can walk to restaurants, small grocery stores, library, pharmacy, post office, and a tavern or two. The zoo is close by which has great evening concerts in the summer. Go for Phinney.

Just an FYI, which you may already know - Harborview is the county hospital and is a zoo. I had to go there once in an emergency and the ER is a mad house. It is also in a real sketchy part of town. Just don't work the night shift. It is part of the UW hospital system, and although you will learn a lot at Harborview, I would just try to work at UW Hospital itself, in the U district. Swedish is all over the place, one in Ballard.

Aloha

Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 AM

Thank you for your input. It really helps alot. I gathered Harborview was county by reading about it. My job, if I get it, would be days. I have applied for work at various hospitals..UW being one, Virginia Mason as well. I have worked in hospitals where they always seemed to be in the worst parts of town. I do have an interview for a job at Swedish Cherry Hill. I have lived in Hawaii 13 years. It is home for me, but there are job limitations and just limitations to living on an island. I am hoping I don't regret the move, but I feel I have more opportunity in Seattle at this time. I think I just need a break. As you can tell, I am not retired yet. Hawaii is nice if u r retired so u can enjoy the outdoors and the weather instead of working all the time.

So, will I be paying just as much for a rental in Seattle as in Hawaii? I am opting for a house because I have two birds, two small dogs and a cat. I don't want any complaints from an apt.

Thank you so much for your input. Oh, what is the "U district?" Think I can be happy in Seattle? I'm a very outgoing person with alot of interests...

D

Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 AM

TwobyFour,

What would be the best route to take in finding a place to live? I have looked on several web sites like Zillow, etc. Better to go to a management company? A realtor?
Thanks,
D

Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,181,339 times
The U district is where the University of Washington campus is. The hospital and medical school are on the southern end of the campus. The actual zip code for the hospital is probably Montlake.

As to rentals - I think you will pay around 1700/month for a small house in the Phinney - Ballard - Fremont area. You would pay less as you go further away from downtown Seattle. So Greenwood and Northgate will be less. That will vary by things like how the house is heated (gas, oil, or electricity), how old it is, size of yard, does it have a garage?

Renting with pets is going to be hard. You will probably be excluded from 70% of the places you find by having pets. You might be able to find a place that says no pets but you can talk them into it because they like and trust you as a person. I would not advise renting without being there in person to see the house and meet the owner. IMHO.

It used to be that 90% of rentals went through the Seattle Times classified but that is probably all shifted to Craigslist by now, so I would start there. I know there are property management companies that advertize. Google it. I used to see signs up all the time in my neighborhood for houses that are looking for renters, so you could drive around too. Every once in a while someone is scammed (happens everywhere) so use the usual precautions.

You will have a good time in Seattle. It is a vibrant place. Lots to do, lots going on. Beautiful mountains close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>