Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 11,483 times

Advertisements

So we are to sign the closing papers next week.

My question is how soon after closing can we take possession and move?

Haven't ask my agent on this yet. The house is new and nobody lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Normally, you get to take possession as soon as the deed is recorded at the county, at closing. If it's brand new but finished, that shouldn't present any problem at all. You''ll go and sign papers, the escrow folks will deliver the documents to the county recorder, and a day or so after you sign, it'll usually record.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:14 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
As Ira mentioned, and RE my case (house, Kirkland), once escrow got the recording number, they emailed my agent who then called me. The agent and I had it well-choreographed since I took a chance and had movers ready for the next day. There was always a chance escrow might not have gotten it done, but they did. The place was officially "mine" at that moment, I believe.

I moved in 24 hrs later (house was vacated prior month by previous owner). I closed in about 28 days from acceptance of offer, which was a bit aggressive.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:02 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Your agent should give you the keys when it's ok to move in...

Old 04-04-2013, 12:04 AM

8 posts, read 11,483 times
Thanks for the reply guys!

Just so excited to move-in though I always tease my husband that I do not like the house, lol!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:20 AM

118 posts, read 295,107 times
It should say in your purchase agreement. Typically right after closing is customary, though I have done it other ways including moving in before closing, and having the sellers rent back for a week or so after closing.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:15 PM

19 posts, read 55,356 times
When we sold our last house, possession was supposed to take place at funding--or when we actually received the check from the proceeds. The buyer's agent was not SUPPOSED to give them the key until that happened, but gave it to them when they closed. We went back to the house to do some things at the house and found they were already there--hours before I got their money.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:55 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
In neither of my experiences have I had to wait until it was recorded. First time (in Michigan) we got the keys when signing the escrow/purchase stuff... we went to close with both agents and the seller in person. This last time was a little wonky. We did the signing the evening before and my agent was going to drop us the keys as soon as he got confirmation that the loan was funded, specifically at 3pm. Well, everything was on track and at 1:30pm he called to confirm he was getting ready to head over. Then suddenly at 2:40pm (while in the car, driving over) he called to say because the loan didn't get funded and given the specifics of the circumstances (it had to do with someone in underwriting forgetting some sort of insurance document... an incredibly stupid mistake given we signed the mutual agreement 60 days prior to closing) it would not get funded before the end of the day. He kindly came over anyway, so I could take a few measurements (we were renting literally across the street from the condo). The next morning he waited until the loan got funded and I had the keys an hour later. We didn't have to wait until it was recorded, I was told that they wait until they have at least a couple of sales before making the trip to the county recorder.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 17,815 times
Just signed papers and close ours 3days ago.
Yesterday morning got an email from the bank that the loan has funded.
Later we receive a call from our agent that the keys are ready to handover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: