Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM

39 posts, read 79,884 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are traveling to the area this week and there are several opportunities we will be considering. We are both fairly unfamiliar with the area although my husband has been out there on business several times. I have looked into both locations and the housing and commute are comparable. We have 4 young children, our family is active and we would like to be near parks and activities. Any insight into the pros and cons of both areas would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 06:50 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Have you checked out the schools in Auburn?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:54 PM

I am actually planning on homeschooling for now. My school aged children are at a public charter Montessori where we are now but have never been to a traditional public school. Are the schools bad though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Have you checked out the schools in Auburn?

Old 04-06-2013, 07:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellewheatley View Post
I am actually planning on homeschooling for now. My school aged children are at a public charter Montessori where we are now but have never been to a traditional public school. Are the schools bad though?
Generally yes. Lynnwood is spotty but there are some better rated ones mixed in there. I've known more people that were truly disappointed with the learning environment down in the Auburn area. In general, the rule of thumb is people pay a premium for homes with good schools. It's just one of the reasons houses in Auburn cost 1/3 what they do in other areas.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:03 PM

I only started looking in Lynnwood because I actually found rentals in our rice range that were not run down.... Is 1900-2000 realistic for a 4 bedroom or is that probably a scam I came across?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Generally yes. Lynnwood is spotty but there are some better rated ones mixed in there. I've known more people that were truly disappointed with the learning environment down in the Auburn area. In general, the rule of thumb is people pay a premium for homes with good schools. It's just one of the reasons houses in Auburn cost 1/3 what they do in other areas.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michellewheatley View Post
I only started looking in Lynnwood because I actually found rentals in our rice range that were not run down.... Is 1900-2000 realistic for a 4 bedroom or is that probably a scam I came across?
Yes, that's about right for Lynnwood, there are higher priced areas but the closer you are to the mall the lower the rent, there are similar homes as low as $1,700. The better the schools the higher the rent, so for you that's not an issue and you can do well. I would do the northern choice, I would prefer working in Northgate over Tukwila. Auburn and Lynnwood are different but of the two I'd go with Lynnwood as long as it's a good part. Besides the mall area, avoid renting withing 4-6 blocks of Highway 99/Pacific Highway.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the advice, I will relay the info to my husband so he can consider that when weighing the options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, that's about right for Lynnwood, there are higher priced areas but the closer you are to the mall the lower the rent, there are similar homes as low as $1,700. The better the schools the higher the rent, so for you that's not an issue and you can do well. I would do the northern choice, I would prefer working in Northgate over Tukwila. Auburn and Lynnwood are different but of the two I'd go with Lynnwood as long as it's a good part. Besides the mall area, avoid renting withing 4-6 blocks of Highway 99/Pacific Highway.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:03 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Auburn's probably a little less expensive to rent a place, and the schools aren't significantly worse than Lynnwood's. You might want to look at Mountlake Terrace as well, should be as cheap or cheaper than Lynnwood, but a little less traffic, a little quieter. Is there a specific reason Lynnwood and Auburn made it, but not Mountlake Terrace or Renton?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 PM

We honestly know very little about the area. One of my husbands coworkers just bought a house in Auburn so that is how that made the list and searching through rental listings I stumbled upon the Lynnwood area. I did see one or two in Renton but hadn't heard of Mountlake Terrace. I would like to be in a quiet family oriented area. My husband works long hours and it would be nice to be near a park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Auburn's probably a little less expensive to rent a place, and the schools aren't significantly worse than Lynnwood's. You might want to look at Mountlake Terrace as well, should be as cheap or cheaper than Lynnwood, but a little less traffic, a little quieter. Is there a specific reason Lynnwood and Auburn made it, but not Mountlake Terrace or Renton?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,267 times
I've lived in both areas. I preferred the Lynnwood area. I found the east part (Alderwood & Brier), between I-5 and Canyon Park, a nice area, with good access to Seattle and the east side. The west side is nice, the nearer you are to Edmonds. Lynnwood is closer to beaches and Seattle, which is a plus to me. I could zip the kids down I-5 during the day and be at Green Lake in 15 minutes, Woodland Park in 20. We also liked riding the Burke-Gilman trail.

We currently live in the Lakeland Hills part of Auburn, which is about as family-friendly cookie-cutter as you can get. We have great parks nearby, walking trails and a few restaurants and grocery stores nearby. We spend more time in the car living here, however. YMMV. If you prefer a more rural lifestyle, Auburn might be a better fit. There is a lot of riding nearby, and farms in Enumclaw and Orting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area