Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 08:10 PM

45 posts, read 104,735 times

Advertisements

Have you considered Arizona? I'm not sure about jobs in your field, and there aren't many lakes there, but it has a beauty of its own. I lived in the midwest and northeast all of my life, I struggled with SAD every winter. For me it has gotten worse every year. We moved to Tucson for a year and half and that was the best winter of my life. I felt great EVERY day. My husband couldn't believe the difference. I was like a whole different person. Unfortunately the desert didn't agree with my hubby and we moved to TN. TN has many charms, but SAD is back in the winter. For me, I feel the same here as I did in the midwest and northeast. Anyway, all that to say, if you can find employment in your field, AZ might be worth a shot. Cost of living is very reasonable there. Tucson is quirky, laid back and just plain fun. Phoenix has the big city thing going on. It is definitely worth looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 PM

257 posts, read 607,608 times
Last time I visited Denver I joked that I should put myself on an IV because it was so dry there I had a hard time staying hydrated. It also doesn't look at nice as Seattle and is not as temperate, more conservative, and it seemed like the main cuisine was Mexican food or steakhouse, LOL. That still might be better than the depression, if I can't manage it well. There are a lot of fit/healthy people there, access to the outdoors is good though not as many lakes, and the weather is not as bad as the Midwest. And sun. Cost of living is lower there too, so there are some decent points.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:15 PM

I lived in Phoenix before. It was toooooooo hot. That being said, I was talking to my Mom about it and I wasn't ever depressed there, in fact I was the life of the party normally, the one throwing the parties instead of not wanting to go (LOL). That's why I considered NM. Still a lot of sun but not as hot.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:16 PM

45 posts, read 104,735 times
Tucson is also very outdoor oriented, tons of bike lanes, hiking, running, etc. Also, plenty of healthy eating options. Vegetarian, sushi, several farmers markets. Real Mexican food, which is features tons of fruits and veggies, good stuff.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Tucson actually doesn't sound bad. But I think the heat would not be good for my dog or I. When I lived in Phoenix I had co-workers that got up at 4:30 AM to go run, took a shower, went back to bed, then got up again to go to work. I did run at 4:30 AM in the Midwest to beat the heat (thought it could still be 80 with 100% humidity) but wouldn't care to do that again if I had the choice (but notice I had the energy to do that LOL).

If I had to choose a different place at this point, I would probably go to Albuquerque, Denver or Northern California (outside of Sacto if possible). I would really rather just stay here, but as someone else said, SAD sucks. It doesn't affect my sister or her husband. In fact, they don't like the sun.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,671,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
Last time I visited Denver I joked that I should put myself on an IV because it was so dry there I had a hard time staying hydrated. It also doesn't look at nice as Seattle and is not as temperate, more conservative, and it seemed like the main cuisine was Mexican food or steakhouse, LOL. That still might be better than the depression, if I can't manage it well. There are a lot of fit/healthy people there, access to the outdoors is good though not as many lakes, and the weather is not as bad as the Midwest. And sun. Cost of living is lower there too, so there are some decent points.
I can't disagree. I don't think any place is as pretty as Seattle but if you're depressed, it might be less of a factor. We grew up in Denver and went back for a year a while back and it's dry, nosebleeds can happen, the Denver metro is flat and brown and being pale, I constantly sunburned but it was definitely sunny. It could blizzard all night and the sun would be out by noon the next day. And yes, it's conservative, barely purple IMO but the cost of living is much less. The guacamole was delicious.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,839,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_town View Post
I lived in Phoenix before. It was toooooooo hot. That being said, I was talking to my Mom about it and I wasn't ever depressed there, in fact I was the life of the party normally, the one throwing the parties instead of not wanting to go (LOL). That's why I considered NM. Still a lot of sun but not as hot.
If jobs weren't an issue, you should check out Flagstaff, AZ... real warm in the summer (though not as hot Phoenix) plus you get your winter fill as its really snowy there-- in fact it's one of the snowiest cities in the US.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM

156 posts, read 302,811 times
I completely relate to your first post in almost everything you wrote. I'm from WI but have been here 22 years. I know I suffer from SAD...all year. I also love exercise (and love running in the mist)!

The weird thing is after being here so long now it's kind of hard to think about other places because SO much is wonderful here. The smell of the salty ocean air, the fresh green smelling air, food, produce, beauty.

Lack of sun is hard on me though.

If I were in your position I would try to get a telecommute job or a job in Cle Elum, Roslyn, or Ellensburg. Still fairly close to Seattle but still super close to mountains and just that extra bit of sun/snow that gives you the feeling you're missing. If my husband could get work there I'd move there now.

Make sure any home you rent or buy has tons of natural light, having a view will make it better.

Good luck...I'm in my down mode right now and it's tough...the sky was blue for a bit today and I felt that ol' familiar feeling...happiness!!! I get butterflies from blue skies.

Get out and explore and get really shoes/boots and weather appropriate jacket.

Good luck...I hope you can figure something out.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:18 AM

617 posts, read 1,199,483 times
How about Minneapolis? It's quite a bit sunnier than Seattle and other parts of the Upper Midwest.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM

I thought about Minneapolis before, there are a lot of pluses about it and I skied the Birkie a few years ago and had a great time. But the amount of snow and extreme cold... I just moved away from less than that! I don't particularly enjoy running on snow/ice. I guess I could just cross country ski all winter, that wouldn't be that bad. I like to live near the snow but not in it, if that makes any sense.

I would say that yes it would be in my top 5 or so cities though. I've heard there are cheap flights between there and Seattle and it would sort of be between where my sister lives, here in Seattle and where my Mom and brother live, in Indiana.

So then I had this awesome run last night after it rained, it was 51 and overcast and that is perfect running weather. I don't know why a lot of people wait until it's 70 outside to go running, that is actually too hot. And I see two more jobs that look good to apply for. Then I look outside and there is not only no sun but thick thick fog. GRRRRRR.

WHY DO I HAVE THIS STUPID SAD? IT SUCKS.

How do employers around here with people who have SAD? Would I look weird sitting at my desk or whatever with a big lamp on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area