U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,398 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm 26 year old guy moving to the Seattle area for a job in Bellevue. I'm a very jean and T-Shirt kind of guy, so the downtown area of Bellevue seems a little too high brow for a guy like me. I enjoy chilling in coffee shops, going to bookstores, and watching big, dumb action movies on a big screen, but I'm not really into the music scene or art house cinema. I'd like to find an area that I can walk around, but close enough that my morning commute to Bellevue won't kill me.

Can anyone recommend any areas like this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 AM

1,643 posts, read 2,533,526 times
DT Kirkland - pretty chill, lots of stuff to walk to, definitely not as high brow as DT Bellevue. It has a lot of waterfront, a pretty active population and is a pretty decent commute to most employers on the eastside.

DT Redmond wouldn't be too bad either. I tend to think of Redmond as more of a family-oriented neighborhood, but they've been working to make their DT more vibrant. It's a bit quieter and further away from Seattle than I personally prefer, but it does have all your criteria, and the commute to Bellevue would be decent.

You might also look into the Crossroads area. It's a very diverse area, more low-key than any other options, less expensive, and transit to DT Bellevue is pretty quick. However, the walkable portion is small, and it doesn't have as much to do as one of the DT areas.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,398 times
Thanks, I'll take a look around the Redmond and Kirkland areas.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 AM

5,871 posts, read 5,077,352 times
(Chuckle): I am of the opinion there is a "required uniform" for downtown Kirkland, too, if you're a techie manager sort of guy (caveat: I live there & I am). Meh: just style trends, I suppose. Yes, Bellevue downtown can be a bit of a 20 and 30-something fashion show, for good or ill.

Bothell sounds what you may be after: the above turned down about one notch. Several down-home cafes (downtown area) staffed by waitresses all named Flo (grin). Across the street also downtown is Alexa's Cafe, IMO best breakfast on eastside, w/overflow crowds AM weekends. Decent parks and recreation nearby.

Kenmore, similar. Hwy 522 runs through it, not sure there is a "downtown" area per se.

Commute to Bellevue is Hwy 522 to I-405, bit of a drag AM and PM (half hour to hour, depending on traffic. Check traffic sites for averages). There are pseudo-shortcuts on side roads that shave just a little time when freeways are truly awful. Park-n-rides available for mass transit users.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:24 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,665,776 times
Might take a look at the Capitol Hill neighborhood in Seattle ...

Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 AM

458 posts, read 888,946 times
I would live in Seattle in one of the walkable neighborhoods close to the 520 or 90 to get over to the east side

Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 AM

7,706 posts, read 7,228,411 times
All good advice, and true. No one mentioned Renton, and the Renton waterfront is very vital now, it's easy access to I-5, I-405, and I-90 so Bellevue is just a heartbeat away. It's also easy to get to southern and eastern WA from there, and you are definitely going to want to visit OR -- Portland is preferable to Seattle IMO.

Best wishes on your move and the new job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Bothell sounds what you may be after: the above turned down about one notch. Several down-home cafes (downtown area) staffed by waitresses all named Flo (grin). Across the street also downtown is Alexa's Cafe, IMO best breakfast on eastside, w/overflow crowds AM weekends. Decent parks and recreation nearby.

Kenmore, similar. Hwy 522 runs through it, not sure there is a "downtown" area per se.

Commute to Bellevue is Hwy 522 to I-405, bit of a drag AM and PM (half hour to hour, depending on traffic. Check traffic sites for averages). There are pseudo-shortcuts on side roads that shave just a little time when freeways are truly awful. Park-n-rides available for mass transit users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulseattlehomes View Post
I would live in Seattle in one of the walkable neighborhoods close to the 520 or 90 to get over to the east side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>