Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 AM

7 posts, read 19,873 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Seattle in June and I'm looking for information on various mommy groups to join as I'll be home with my two littles. I'd like to meet some other SAHM's for outings to explore/discover the city or just playdates. I've heard of MOPS but we aren't religious so I'd prefer some more secular options.

Also looking for summer camp (weekly options) and preschool information - where would be a good source to find that info? I'm cobbling together from various websites now but if there are any sites that offer a wealth of this type of info please let me know!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,610,429 times
here is just one. [url=http://snoqualmievalley.macaronikid.com/]SnoqualmieValley-Issaquah : Macaroni Kid[/url]

Old 04-18-2013, 09:41 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,610,429 times
sorry meant to say, "here is just one other resource about families on the Eastside". Many neighborhoods have their own playgroup (like issaquah highlands).

Old 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,867,280 times
New parent community -Program for Early Parent Support, Seattle — PEPS

Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 PM

192 posts, read 420,584 times
What area will you be living in so we can help with preschools and groups?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM

61 posts, read 110,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoSEA View Post
We're moving to Seattle in June and I'm looking for information on various mommy groups to join as I'll be home with my two littles. I'd like to meet some other SAHM's for outings to explore/discover the city or just playdates. I've heard of MOPS but we aren't religious so I'd prefer some more secular options.

Also looking for summer camp (weekly options) and preschool information - where would be a good source to find that info? I'm cobbling together from various websites now but if there are any sites that offer a wealth of this type of info please let me know!

Thanks!
Hi there :-) We are moving up to Issaquah in August! Like you, I am looking at various resources for SAHM's. I am not a religious person, either, but I do attend a MOPS group where I live. I have been going for 6 years to the same group and I have to admit that the ladies are warm and welcoming, even if you are not religious. My neighbor talked to me about MOPS for 2 years before I finally decided to give it a try. I was hesitant because of the religious affiliation of the organization. I couldn't have been more mistaken! I don't know about other MOPS groups, but I imagine it shouldn't be much different, given that it is an international organization with a standardized curriculum and leader training. I will be contacting the groups closest to where we will be living before we go up there, so I can get a feel for what those groups are like. It isn't a bible-study, I can tell you that! We do all kinds of fun things like craft projects, community service projects (such as Operation Christmas Child) and guest speakers present topics that range from financial planning to cooking demonstrations. I hope the groups near Seattle are close to what I have experienced here. The groups I attend here (I also go to a MOMS group which is similar but open to moms with children of any age) are held at nondenominational Christian churches. The only negative report I ever heard about MOPS was from a gal who attended a group at a baptist church so, it may depend on the congregants more than the organization when it comes to how overtly religious each group is. The long and the short of it is, I would look in to MOPS as a good resource for meeting other moms. The fact that childcare is included (something that isn't always easy to find in secular groups) is a huge bonus! Plus, the food is fantastic!! Feel free to pm me if you want to meet after we are relocated :-)

Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 PM

12 posts, read 68,029 times
If you are close to Bothell, I really liked the Northshore Family Center had organized playgroups for kids up to 5 on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, those included story time and play time, they were free and a great place to meet others. Also try meetup.com, when my son was smaller we were in a very active meetup.com group on the eastside, but I see its now closed. If you are on the eastside there's the Eastside Mothers club

Also, check in with your closest libraries for story times, those are great for kids and a great place to meet other mommies in the same situation.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM

21 posts, read 49,711 times
search meetup.com. there are several options there for moms groups in the area. there's also issaquah moms group and a snoqualmie one if you're on the eastside.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:40 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,508,281 times
I know lots of moms that have belonged to various MOPS groups on the Eastside. My understanding is that it is not necessarily religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area